iOS 6 Dumps Support for Orig. iPad, 3rd-Gen iPod Touch?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
A Chinese forum post indicated that information from leaked documents show Apple will be dropping support for the original iPad and the third generation iPod Touch with the release of iOS 6 beta. The new mobile operating system is scheduled to be introduced tomorrow at the opening of WWDC. Final details will be released at that time.

Apple is expected to fully detail iOS 6 at WWDC, which kicks off on June 11 at 10 a.m. Pacific.

How can the iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, and iPhone 4 make the cut but the iPad 1 doesn't? Is it not faster than these devices?

I'm surprised the 3gs made the cut but I imagine it has something to do with the fact the carriers are still selling it as the budget iPhone.

Thats what I'm thinking...I don't think it really has anything to do with actual compatibility.

Same crap from Apple - "it's 3 years old so now it's totally uncool"

Instead of doing a simple copy and paste job on the code to still support "old" hardware, they are taking the gamble that the user is so fanatic they will run out and buy a new one instead.

I don't run out and buy new speakers or a printer every 2 years and would never buy another product again from company X if they tried to make me.

Think different indeed.

Well iOS users could always take the source code and port it over to their devices if they want, like Android users can. Oh wait, you guys can't do that because Apple believe in an open source OS.

Oh well, if you can afford to buy an iDevice once you can always afford to buy it twice. :p

The whole thing with releasing a new iWhatever once a year means you also feel behind your Apple owning friends when they buy the current model year iStuff and you're still using something that's *gasp* 365 days old.

I guess people could either get all worked up over information coming from some random thread on a chinese forum *or* read the thread and wonder why cnet doesn't bother updating (assuming the information was added instead of cnet just missing it in the first place) the article to reflect the fact that the iPad 1 is still going to be supported: http://bbs.weiphone.com/read-htm-tid-4865869.html

How can the iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, and iPhone 4 make the cut but the iPad 1 doesn't? Is it not faster than these devices?

This is where I'm drawing a blank. The iPhone 4 has the exact same CPU as the iPad 1. The 3GS has a slower CPU than any of the others but it will be supported? :confused:

Calling BS on this Chinese leak.

What exactly does this mean for developers? Will they still be able to make apps for the previous devices? If they use the iOS6 devkit, would it no longer work on iOS5? Will developers be required to submit iOS6 apps only?

Well iOS users could always take the source code and port it over to their devices if they want, like Android users can. Oh wait, you guys can't do that because Apple believe in an open source OS.

Oh well, if you can afford to buy an iDevice once you can always afford to buy it twice. :p

Right, because it will suddenly stop working when IOS 6.0 comes out. Maybe you should talk with some Windows XP users to see how that is going for them.

What exactly does this mean for developers? Will they still be able to make apps for the previous devices? If they use the iOS6 devkit, would it no longer work on iOS5? Will developers be required to submit iOS6 apps only?

Yes, they will still be able to make apps for previous devices. In other words, just more FUD from the Android camp.

Yes, they will still be able to make apps for previous devices. In other words, just more FUD from the Android camp.

And now i suppose Apple is going to downplay fragmentation and proclaim that it's a natural part of the eco system?

Oh wait, they'll probably make a new term for it to make it sound cool.

It's not fragmentation, it's differentiation by design, magically clever. In all seriousness I doubt the original iPad will get dropped and someone already refuted it in the thread... BUT, Apple does use fragmentation as this Android bogeyman when they're the first ones to drop features on new builds for all devices with the sole purpose of making people upgrade (multi-tasking getting dropped on phones that were proven capable via jailbreak, Siri only working on the 4S when all the work's done server side, etc.).

Designed obsolescence is one of Apple's core tenants. It drives new sales by providing a definitive date when a product becomes 'last gen' and useless. When it comes to computers this tactic makes sense. Because computers have an ever increasing performance curve, there is a point where old hardware can not possibly run current gen programs/os's with the same user experience as the new stuff. And because apple is all about the user experience, this matters greatly to them.

And I'm tired of all the Android high horses out there. I have a samsung Galaxy S I and guess what, 6 months after I got it the S II came out, now a year and a half later the S III is about to land. My device can only run 2.3 (by using the KIES updater, yes I know I can jailbreak but for gods sake, its idiotic that I must in order to update to the newest software)

What it all boils down to for me is that its a GD phone, who gives a rats behind about what OS you're running or how many cell processors or video processors you have. Just make the damn thing work well for 2 years until my next upgrade and leave me alone.

It's not fragmentation, it's differentiation by design, magically clever. In all seriousness I doubt the original iPad will get dropped and someone already refuted it in the thread... BUT, Apple does use fragmentation as this Android bogeyman when they're the first ones to drop features on new builds for all devices with the sole purpose of making people upgrade (multi-tasking getting dropped on phones that were proven capable via jailbreak, Siri only working on the 4S when all the work's done server side, etc.).
That's not fragmentation though. Apple generally supports a device with two additional OS releases after what it was initially introduced with, which is pretty good.

The iPhone 3G ran iOS 4 pretty slowly, and it doesn't have sufficient RAM for multitasking well. And Siri wasn't a new feature for the 4S, they're not obligated to bring it to other devices just because they made it. (I doubt they'd have the server capacity either.)

True or not, I'm glad I dumped my Apple devices for Android ones.

itunes is fucking garbage, happiest day of my life when I uninstalled it.

True or not, I'm glad I dumped my Apple devices for Android ones.

itunes is fucking garbage, happiest day of my life when I uninstalled it.

iTunes is garbage I agree. However, the OS itself is not. It provides a good user experience.

How's your battery life? How's ICS?

I'm still rocking the Samsung Galaxy S (1) Sprint Version. (can't wait for the S III) The battery life is usually pretty good, unless I'm in an area where service is spotty. I generally treat my mobile devices like a baby treats their toys, and the screen is remarkably in good condition. That alone will keep me a loyal customer, I laugh every time someone downloads the spider app ;).

For my tablet, I got the Asus Transformer prime, and I have keyboard dock with the additional battery. The battery life in the tablet is about 7 hours, they claim 8, but I've never seen it. ICS rules, it's so nice to finally have a tablet that properly multitasks. Generally however I feel as though it would benefit from having more RAM at its disposal. Sometimes it hangs in weird places, and there hasn't been an update in what feels like forever. Having SD card slots and a USB port is great too. I can even run my external HD off of it. The only feature I miss from my Ipad was the 802.11N capability, the transformer prime only has G.

Also, this is more of a Asus specific gripe, the battery in the keyboard dock does not discharge evenly with the tablet battery, it waits until the battery is about 30% lower, and then charges the tablet battery from the keyboard. A lot of battery capacitance is lost during this charging, so the keyboard battery only adds about 4-5 hours instead of the claimed 8. If there was a way to make it discharge the keyboard batter first, I think that would be a lot better.

How many retailers are still selling the first iPad versus the $399 iPad 2? I don't think the decision has much to do with performance, but it has more to do with retail availability.

The iPad 2 will probably meet the same fate when either iOS 7 or 8 launches after the 'Next iPad' places a version of the iPad 3 at $399. Hmm, 28nm A5X...

iTunes is garbage I agree. However, the OS itself is not. It provides a good user experience.

Not long ago, back in the days of the first iphone and the even up to the 3GS, I would have completely agreed with you. Android had some growing pains, and there was a lot of BS going on with the handset vendors putting unreliable, and inadequate hardware in the phones, handicapping the user experience with Android. Nowadays unfortunately, I don't really feel like ios is really any different than version 1, and android has caught up in a big way.

And I'm not trying to put you on the defensive, this is just a small list that of things I wanted that i never got with ios that I got right out of the box with my android devices:

1) Widgets, things like Weather, email, a hardware power switch toggle bar, pretty much everything i want, to no have to leave the home screen if i choose not to

2) True multitasking. for 2 damn years I couldn't listen to NPR and surf the web at the same time on my ipad. Worked day 1 18 months ago on my android phone.

3) using the device as an external drive. This could have been due to my own ignorance, but i could never get my ipad, iphone to work as a thumb device. Again, worked day 1 out of the box with my android.

4) Media file support. now that I can use my droids as a thumb drive, I just copy Mkv's right to it, and then just play them. "file not supported" used to be the bane of my existance on my idevices. Since getting Android, well, i don't know if that message even exists.

Look, if it works for you, thats great. I was just really fed up with the lack of some pretty basic things that were apparently pretty trivial to add.

One more thing I forgot to add:

I also think that as this "cloud" mentality starts to take over (as the service providers will make bu-ku bucks from these data plans) I really feel as though the user experience is going to start to depend a lot more on the data connection to the tower, rather than the OS in your hand.

That's not fragmentation though. Apple generally supports a device with two additional OS releases after what it was initially introduced with, which is pretty good.

The iPhone 3G ran iOS 4 pretty slowly, and it doesn't have sufficient RAM for multitasking well. And Siri wasn't a new feature for the 4S, they're not obligated to bring it to other devices just because they made it. (I doubt they'd have the server capacity either.)

That's exactly fragmentation. You've just described a situation where a certain model in Apple's line up is stuck at a particular software version. It will never be upgraded. Anyone who has that phone will be stuck on that model while the newer versions get updates.

Why people would think that all models of every phone released from now to the beginning of time would receive updates is beyond me. But there you have it.

Next up, the iSubscription. For just $100/mo, you too can have the latest and greatest iDevice all the time, every time. Don't be left behind by the cool crowd!

2) True multitasking. for 2 damn years I couldn't listen to NPR and surf the web at the same time on my ipad. Worked day 1 18 months ago on my android phone.

One of my previous issues with Androids way of multitasking is the lack of applications that can run in parallel (i.e. desktop multitasking). Then this came out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cenFDf72aI

No need to root, it's a stock feature in android and the apps are aware of their screen position. Pretty useful when you're using a tablet. Tablets have the screen real estate, the horsepower, and the memory. It can do more advanced multitasking than just running stuff in the background.

I need to check if they've got a windowed notepad or calculator, that'd be really useful.

And they're gonna suddenly have the server capacity when people buy whatever new model comes out? I'm sorry but that's a piss poor excuse, and Apple runs some huge server farms for their online stores so it's not even a convincing excuse.

They strip features from new OS versions for no reason other than to spur upgrades... And there's nothing wrong with that! To claim that they don't is silly tho, even despite that they still offer far better update support than someone like Samsung... Altho they're not the model of efficiency either. Many core security updates take far far longer than they should for a company as vertically integrated as them (the fix for unencrypted GPS data being passed along to iTunes took months, which is ridiculous).

Next up, the iSubscription. For just $100/mo, you too can have the latest and greatest iDevice all the time, every time. Don't be left behind by the cool crowd!

Maybe I didn't get the memo but.. isn't "Android" the "cool" crowd now?

It sure seems like it.

And by the time that everybody is on that plan, inflation will have made that $100/mo into something more like $500/mo.

Now that sounds like Apple. Pay $5000 for something that's worth $1000...

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be features related to camera usage, which the iPad 1 doesn't have. Otherwise it wouldn't be directly related to hardware (iPad is clocked slightly faster than the small screens, both the iPod and iPad have half the RAM of the iPhone 4), and would likely come down to a marketing thing.

Back