Too Much Video Game Violence At E3

HardOCP News

[H] News
Would it be sexist to tell this woman to shut her pie hole? I'm not implying that she bakes pies. I am not implying she belongs in the kitchen. I am simply saying she should shut her mouth-hole-thingy.

I'm no shrinking violet when it comes to video game violence. I cut my teeth on Unreal Tournament, and I am a machine with a shotgun in Halo. But the bloody displays at Microsoft's and Sony's press conferences here at E3 left me horrified -- and depressed that an industry with so many challenges chose to offer so little to its existing and potentially new audiences.

I just had the realization: I think slowly the amount of blood and gore, and the amount of new features, and the overall level of stimulation that games try to give gamers has been going up over time. It seems that once people get used to a certain level of stimulation, it wears off, and they need a little bit more to get excited again. When are going to hit a ceiling on this kind of stimulation?

By the way, Assassin's Creed 2 already explored the idea of double-kills a long time ago.

I think her point might be that gore in place of gameplay is... puerile. I can agree with that. How she wrote about it? Not so much.

But that's the same reason I'd generally rather watch a PG-13 movie instead of an R. They actually have a plot in PG-13 movies most of the time, instead of leaning on shock factor violence. It's all well and good that there's realistic blood spatter in Battlefield 17: Overkilling Death Squad, but if it's just not fun to play give me Mario or Zelda any day.

Would it be sexist to tell this woman to shut her pie hole? I'm not implying that she bakes pies. I am not implying she belongs in the kitchen. I am simply saying she should shut her mouth-hole-thingy.

Wow what a whiny bitch.

Also, I forgot to add: critical thinking doesn't seem to be your strong points. Try and make some kind of a factual argument, debates are no fun without them.

it's just a rant, and today she had nothing good to rant about.

it all comes down to choices. You play what you like, I play what I like.

I think there is not enough violence in games. How about sodomizing enemies with a harpoon, then pulling their guts out?
would that even be allowed to sell in america ?

She probably popped out a little bag of skin, blood, and guts and then got all sensitive. People have been growing up exposed to violence, whether it's in the home, on the radio, simulated playing cowboys and indians, on tv, or in games. Some people live, some people die. Waaaaaaaaa!

She probably popped out a little bag of skin, blood, and guts and then got all sensitive. People have been growing up exposed to violence, whether it's in the home, on the radio, simulated playing cowboys and indians, on tv, or in games. Some people live, some people die. Waaaaaaaaa!

Pretty much. Molly Wood is basically an irritating soccer mom who talks about tech.

Don't you think there will be "gore" settings for the titles she was talking about? Most games have them that I've seen.

Remember the frst Soldier of Fortune? That was way cool, blowing the Bad Guys heads off. Man that was a long time ago.

Lol I love how she mentions sales are down..well no shit sherlock the only real big game to release in the past few weeks/months was diablo 3 compared to all the huge games in march last year.

Fail logic is fail. Go back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich, then off to the bedroom with you. :D

Only thing I could think of is "Molly wood you please shut the **ck up" That's really "he" under the **s & not what you were thinking shame on you. ;)

I have nothing against senseless gore. I just don't care for or against it.

What I do have a problem with, is the senseless brutality displayed in The Last of Us.

Maybe I was being introspective for a minute, but when the PROtagonist smashed the head of one of the bad guys into a table, even after the guy was done for, and everyone cheered.. I felt kind of bad.

I mean, I expect that for some bloody brawler with no story, but this is clearly a cinematic game and if protagonists are immoral, there's no reason for me to get involved in them.

How dare that clueless scribbler to put UT and that other piece of garbage in that same sentence.

The piece was a good attention grabber but I don't see why this year was different from any other as far as video game violence goes. There does need to be a serious discussion about the purpose of violence in games and the hypocrisy with regard to how sex and violence are treated. But that's for another day, carry on with your misogyny.

I think it would only be sexist if you told her to shut her dick receptacle.

Hate or like her POV ... Agree or disagree...!
It's irrelevant, she still is entitled to her own opinion.
What happened to freedom of expression in the US? Is it because the US is under new management by China?
'Shut her pie hole???'

What is it that I read Kyle type when someone strongly disagrees with his reviews/opinions?
Is it not something in the line of 'take your sh!t somewhere elsewhere'???
How about the same when reading other websites?

I'd normally be the first one to criticize the "anti-violence" crowd but her article does contain a point. The games that have truly driven sales and become popular did so by using new, innovative, or polished mechanics. Violence tends to work best as an addition to the game, not the reason for its existence.

Look at the Wii's motion controllers - the innovation was to bring people into the gaming fold and it worked brilliantly for a time. Very few games for the platform can be considered "gory." Individual titles can take advantage of this, too; Mass Effects 1-3 are examples of a game employing continuity and refinement across sequels in addition to good writing (ending notwithstanding).

I don't agree with her disgust towards the violence but I do hope that the games use it for a purpose, not just for its own sake.

What happened to freedom of expression in the US? Is it because the US is under new management by China?
'Shut her pie hole???'

What is it that I read Kyle type when someone strongly disagrees with his reviews/opinions?

She had a pretty strong opinion on something that is a very big part of gaming. Over time games have continued to add more and more gore, true, doesn't necessarily say it makes the game unoriginal that is a matter of opinion. The big problem is game developers try (and have tried in the past) to add as much of one thing that makes their game and it just so happens to be gore in these games.

What could of been talked about is "where are the non-gory games?" or "why are game developers running away from non-gore specific titles?"

I don't think she cut her teeth on UT or Halo (maybe Halo, it has no gore other then flopping boddies).

'Shut her pie hole???'

Pussy wiped :)

'Shut her pie hole???'

[H] has always been under management by Kyle Bennett and co. This place doesn't exactly have its own Bill of Rights you know...

But OTOH I have to give a big kudos to Kyle for the way he has handled intellectual discourse. As long as a response is on-topic (and I've stretched this really far, believe me) and free of personal attacks it doesn't get censored. After all, the whole reason Steve posted this article was so that people could discuss it and post their opinions.

But don't get me wrong, I agree with your criticism of Steve and that other poster who basically told her to shut up. I get why Steve posted that though, because the point of the [H] front page is to post news stories, and he can't go on and on with his own opinion. I think that's why he was so blunt.

Sand in her Vagina, shit her panties, there's got to be something wrong with her? Shut her pie hole? Yes.

Idiots like her like to bury their head in the sand... Art and media reflect our society. The sad fact is that violence is ALL around us and to whitewash that is a crime.

We (still) have a war going on in Afghanistan and multiple involvements in lesser-known "conflicts". If you look at places in our own country like New Orleans and my home of Chicago, we have more violence than our casulty tolls at war! (Last month's "coalition casulties" were at the highest of the year at 45...in contrast, we had 40 shot on Memorial Day weekend in Chicago.)

So...complaining about violence in video games is umm...well, fill in the blank with your own adjective.

What could of been talked about is "where are the non-gory games?" or "why are game developers running away from non-gore specific titles?"

There are tons of non-gory games around & in development - they just aren't showing them off at the Pandering-Sequel-Expo.

All I can think to myself after watching preview after preview is "This looks cool, I hope it doesn't end up sucking."

Violence is not that big nor new of an issue. Don't care. Vote with the wallet. The homophobe tweens will get mommy to buy it for them. No worries.

But, man, what a bucket of stupid and suck I saw watching E3 coverage.

Call of Duty: Improbable Ops 2. -> fuck that weaksauce. My favorite line from the play footage "I lost my last wingman." Like you have a inventory of them. "I was pressing "w" for a new weingman, but it didn't spawn!" Stupid game developers and writers don't even bother trying to get it a little bit right.

Halo 4. Apparently "insurgents" were getting on board the "Infinity." I assume the 12 year old who wrote that heard the fancy word "insurgent" on the TV and thought they'd use it.

Resident Evil 6: that was the fucking stupidest thing I've seen in ages. Liked the external shots of the chopper without the people in it. Plus: emo JRPG hairtard design. Fuck that.

Tomb Raider: side ways gangsta shooting action is even more retarded with a bow.

I must be getting old.

nah. molly wood is right. every game I've seen is a michael bay movie. this is the most unoriginal E3 ever

THIS.

They are out of ideas. What's next, slow mo double testicular x-ray kill-shot? With obligatory developers don't know anatomy stupidity to add on to the 'tard factor?

Oh. Wait. It's been done.

It's like the movies: fucking remakes and retreads as far as the eye can see, but with 3D! and more assplosions.

"1313" might be OK. We'll see.

But like I noted above: a bag of suck and stupid. And for fuck sake, the VP presenting for MSFT was a smarmy script reading douche.

The hightlight: Matt Stone and Trey Parker calling their MSFT hosts idiots.

Back