$6,000 Electric Skateboard

HardOCP News

[H] News
These electric skateboards are pretty neat...except for the "more-than-a-used-car" price tag. I thought buying my kid a BMW Streetcarver was extravagant, talk about an epic FAIL on the pricing. :eek:

Don't worry, the Chinese will come out with a knock-off that'll cost $250 within a year.

Just got the weirdest flashback to Sean Astin in B.R.A.T. Patrol...

0-28 in 1.9 seconds? On something you stand on? There are going to be some epic fails.

I'm still waiting for my Marty McFly hoverboard.

Hoverboard.png

For that kind of money, it better come with a stewardess with her own knee pads.

Gnarboards weigh 70-86 lbs depending on the model. nice and light for packing around :p

0-28 in 1.9 seconds? On something you stand on? There are going to be some epic fails.
epic fails yes, and perhaps broken ankles. That's quite a bit of acceleration to place on your ankle.

I think someone already produced that board from BTTF. It's stationary and magnetic I believe. Doesn't actually function for movement.

The one in the news article is WAY more powerful, though.

Still, 6k is epic fail. Keep in mind that is for the top end model, though. The lower end one is $4.8k. Still crazy, but slightly less crazy.

The one in the news article isn't as powerful as they claim and it is extremely heavy for carrying around or any real recreational use. It doesn't turn as well either, it is very rigid and hard to maneuver. Also you need the hand held gadget attached by a wire to control it rather than the easy balance adjustments that the zboard responds to. The zboard also uses a much more environmentally safe components and battery and less power making it more green. All of that ease, lightweight, environmentally friendly and maneuverability in the zboard for 1/12th the price. This is why the zboard has won much acclaim in this particular area.

Now, if you want to do some limited off-road type riding than you might consider the hefty price for that board. But even the off-road is severally limited, its not like you can really go riding over tough terrain, it doesn't have any real shocks or flexibility to effectively go over bumps and changes in terrain.

epic fails yes, and perhaps broken ankles. That's quite a bit of acceleration to place on your ankle.

I wouldn't be worried about my ankles, I'd just be worried about falling off the damned thing. That's an average acceleration of 0.63g. You'd have to be leaning over 32 degrees from vertical just to deal with the AVERAGE acceleration, the peak would probably be higher and then you start to get some wind resistance as well. If you manage to stay on to 28mph all you probably achieved is being slightly closer to death rather than serious injury :p

A mate of mine rigged a motor to a skateboard. He only used it twice after he almost killed himself the 2nd time :p

Also it only cost him a couple of hundred all up to rig the motor to the skateboard, lol.

This reminds me of the Max Headroom episode when they have motorized skateboards and battle like gladiators with wolverine claws in an empty swimming pool.

for reals...

really.. electric skateboards. anf dor that much.

It would be cheaper and lighter to rig a small engine to a skateboard.

in the early 90's the government said we should have flying cars by the year 2000..... epic fail we still have not invented a proper jet pack

We have both flying cars and jetpacks and have for a while... they're just neither cheap nor practical. :p

in the early 90's the government said we should have flying cars by the year 2000..... epic fail we still have not invented a proper jet pack

Do you really want the average person getting around in a flying car? We already have enough trouble with people being unable to keep from driving around killing one another while they fiddle with their phones.

Back