Apple Ready To Settle iPad Trademark Dispute?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this report, Apple may be ready to settle its iPad trademark dispute in China. Personally, I don't see Apple settling unless it gets the full rights to the iPad name.

Proview sued Apple for $1.6 billion over its use of the "IPAD" trademark, claiming it had registered the stamp in a number of countries including China as early as 2000. Apple claims it was sold the trademark for $55,104 years earlier and had rights to the "IPAD" name in 10 different countries, including China.

hmm.. maybe its because they dont have enough lawyers to cover all the lawsuits they are apart of??

I read that as:

Apple claims it was sold the trademark for $55. 104 years earlier, and had rights to the "IPAD" name in 10 different countries, including Qing Dynasty China.

Though it wouldn't be exactly unusual. They do claim a load of stupid crap. :D

I read that as:

Though it wouldn't be exactly unusual. They do claim a load of stupid crap. :D

So does China, like the exact replica of a BMW X5 was ruled to look nothing like a BMW X5, everything but the name is exactly the same.

"...104 years earlier..."

LOLWHUT?

Was Marty and that crazy professor involved? GG Apple!

I am sure they understand its just funny because there is a space in there when it shouldnt be so it actually does read

for $55, 104 years earlier

should be

for $55,104 years earlier

One space makes all the difference :p

Lol, disregard that there isnt a space so either they dont understand or are just trying to be funny.

It does look like there might be a space there, yes. Windows' text kerning leaves quite a bit to be desired.

I think Apple should embrace the Chinese way, and just ignore the lawsuit and continue to sell their products regardless of any infringement (even though in this case there isn't any just a pissed off Chinese guy who sold something for way less than he could have gotten for it)

They should change it to better show the real truth of apple products.

From now on everything will be called the Isuck and the Iblow and the Itrash

sour grapes.

they never realized that the ipad would blow up so big, and now they want a piece of the pie

I think what is going to screw Apple on this one is the way they paid some third party guy to create a shell company to make the purchase so that no one knew it was Apple getting the name (for $55k).

I think what is going to screw Apple on this one is the way they paid some third party guy to create a shell company to make the purchase so that no one knew it was Apple getting the name (for $55k).
The thing that will screw them is the corrupt Chinese "legal" system.

Proview Taiwan sold the rights to Apple through the third company (common practice, btw, nothing shady about it) and now Proview mainland China is claiming that Proview Taiwan didn't have the authority to sell the rights to using iPad in mainland China. The fact that their reps signed the agreement would be an issue in a legitimate legal system but anything goes over there apparently. So far the argument seems to be that the Chinese reps were merely signing the agreement in their Taiwanese capacity...whatever that means.

The thing that will screw them is the corrupt Chinese "legal" system.

Proview Taiwan sold the rights to Apple through the third company (common practice, btw, nothing shady about it) and now Proview mainland China is claiming that Proview Taiwan didn't have the authority to sell the rights to using iPad in mainland China. The fact that their reps signed the agreement would be an issue in a legitimate legal system but anything goes over there apparently. So far the argument seems to be that the Chinese reps were merely signing the agreement in their Taiwanese capacity...whatever that means.

I dont know why you all so confused of chinese law when in america, the law is just as rediculous. sueing for the most stupidest things yet legitimate cases get thrown out? If you think only in china things like these happens, maybe you should walk down to the closes courts and go through their archives.

Back