New Monitor Nags You Into Using Good Posture

HardOCP News

[H] News
Today's "technology gone wrong" story is sponsored by the new Philips 24" LED monitor that features:

ErgoSensor for ultimate ergonomics
  • Optimal viewing distance measurement and advice
  • Time-break reminder
  • Neck posture detection and corrective advice
  • User presence detection and behaviour feedback

I thought it was silly when the Wii recommended I take a break and I STILL think it's silly for a monitor to do the same.

I dunno I kind of like the idea considering I spent every minute of the day in front of a monitor and also have neck/back/tendon pain on occasion. If by having those reminders can help reduce or eliminate pain, sometimes severe for people, then it may be worth it.

Yes, because I want to introduce more annoyance into my computing experience.

I don't know about that behavior feedback. I don't need my monitor telling me I'm perverted.

I can see this being a neat feature, silly as it is. The big thing is, whether or not it can be turned off. Also by introducing this, will it come to a point where law will require it? Then that will suck.

Look at cameras behind vehicles. They are neat and can be useful to ensure there's no kid or other small object behind that you can't see by looking out the back, but now that they're a bit more common, the government is trying to make it the law. It was suppose to be an extra feature, not a requirement. Could the same happen with this?

I actually like the idea, just reading the thread title made me sit up in my chair. With all the time we spend in-front of computer screens it will be good to start instilling proper posture in people. As long as you can turn it off for those that dont/no longer need it I dont see the problem. It would also be nice if it had a minimalist approach to the notification system and not some whole screen alarms going off type of thing.

I actually like the idea, just reading the thread title made me sit up in my chair. With all the time we spend in-front of computer screens it will be good to start instilling proper posture in people. As long as you can turn it off for those that dont/no longer need it I dont see the problem. It would also be nice if it had a minimalist approach to the notification system and not some whole screen alarms going off type of thing.

I started slouching on purpose.

You'd be surprised how important ergonomics are. At work they take it very seriously and I've noticed much improvement in my personal life. Mainly not as much pain and stiffness from constantly sitting at a computer.

Back