Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 Overclocked Edition

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at Neoseeker put the Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 Overclocked Edition to the test today and, from the looks of things, they seem rather impressed with the way it performed.

Sapphire's HD 7850 OC Edition is faster and quieter than AMD's reference model we reviewed earlier, but it's also smaller to boot. It offers all this while keeping the same amazing feature-set and performance-per-watt of AMD's mid-range wonder. See how it stacks against similar cards in our review.

Finally pushed me into getting one. Should have it friday. rawr!

Have they improved their CS? Read through some old articles like this:

Support

Might as well buy from those guys selling from the back of their van...

Anyone notice that every review of a Sapphire 7850 is the OC edition?

I bet the regular edition is the exact same card, without binning, but they are only publicizing the more costly OC edition to squeeze a bit more out of people.

Pictures on the website indicate that the cooler is identical. Price difference is small enough that I'm willing to bet that there are no physical difference nor even any binning of the GPUs.

Have they improved their CS? Read through some old articles like this:

Support

Might as well buy from those guys selling from the back of their van...

Sigh. Might have been a different choice had I known this...
I do have a Sapphire 6670 passive thats doing its thing quite well tho, and it appears to be built really well, so maybe thats all behind them.

Sigh. Might have been a different choice had I known this...
I do have a Sapphire 6670 passive thats doing its thing quite well tho, and it appears to be built really well, so maybe thats all behind them.

That's almost 4 years ago. Don't worry about it.
I've only heard good things about the sapphire. High OC's, very quiet, good cooling, a premium card.
Customer support is different for every person and a lot can change in those 4 years.
And the so called "best" brands often have problems.

Here's something you could find usefull:
http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64052&f=3
http://www.overclock.net/t/907424/graphics-card-warranty-spreadsheet-usa

I used to have a spreadsheet that showed which country RMA's went to for each specific brand and you wouldn't believe some of them. Asus in particular though I can't remember which country.

I've only heard good things about the sapphire. High OC's, very quiet, good cooling, a premium card.
Customer support is different for every person and a lot can change in those 4 years.

I used to have a spreadsheet that showed which country RMA's went to for each specific brand and you wouldn't believe some of them. Asus in particular though I can't remember which country.

Got this card today and have been extremely happy with it so far.

Just remembered reading customer review of their 6870 100314-3L on newegg, more specifically those that concern their CS. Well check the response left at 2/20/2012 2:15:04 PM. Guess as long as your card works....:eek:

This one?
Pros: When it works it is great and makes Crysis very immersive. This woudl be a 4 star rating if it worked.

Cons: Get blue screen of death about every two weeks or so. According to screen and net research this is a driver issue. Used Catalyst to download and update drivers to no avail. Checked the voltages and temperatures and evrything looked fine. I dealt with the continual BSD until about a month ago. During an overnite update by AdAware it crashed the computer big time. I had to remove the card, strip off all but the essentials to get the computer running again. Contacted Sapphire but got no response at all. I'm beyond the return period for NewEgg and stuck with an expensive paper weight. DO NO BUY THIS CARD!!!!

I can't count how many times I had problems with calling CS. Do realise that often its the person taking your call is often to blame. It sucks for the guy who bought it, but I think you could find a rating like that on newegg for every card.

As for his problem, he doesn't even know what caused the problem. I remember a post on this forum from a few days ago that said "driver problems aren't always caused by drivers".

Now, don't get me wrong, if a company "screws me over" 1 time, I normally never give them a second chance, especially in PC- components since there is so much competition.

Just remembered reading customer review of their 6870 100314-3L on newegg, more specifically those that concern their CS. Well check the response left at 2/20/2012 2:15:04 PM. Guess as long as your card works....:eek:

People quoting reviews from NewEggg now? LoL
"During an overnite update by AdAware it crashed the computer big time."
"Get blue screen of death about every two weeks or so."

Right, so AdAware updates crash his PC. And he thinks he'll get about two BSD crashes in 30 days. Anyone expecting Sapphire CS to spend hours/days helping this rube sort out his PC has rather unrealistic expectations of CS.

Got this card today and have been extremely happy with it so far.
Same.

Last edited:
People quoting reviews from NewEggg now? LoL
"During an overnite update by AdAware it crashed the computer big time."
"Get blue screen of death about every two weeks or so."

Right, so AdAware updates crash his PC. And he thinks he'll get about two BSD crashes in 30 days. Anyone expecting Sapphire CS to spend hours/days helping this rube sort out his PC has rather unrealistic expectations of CS.

Same.

Hey I know to take newegg reviews with a gain of salt, so it's not like I actually believe everything they post on NE. Whether he's expecting the CS to help or not and adaware blah blah blah is beside the point. The CS didn't respond at all, that's the problem. Telling your customer he needs to get his sh!t together is one thing, completely ignoring him is another.

Hey I know to take newegg reviews with a gain of salt, so it's not like I actually believe everything they post on NE. Whether he's expecting the CS to help or not and adaware blah blah blah is beside the point. The CS didn't respond at all, that's the problem. Telling your customer he needs to get his sh!t together is one thing, completely ignoring him is another.

That's probably because they haven't stopped laughing. :D

Customer: My computer crashed during an Adaware update and I want a new video card for it.
Sapphire CS:
rofl3.gif

Asus DCUII Top has voltage control. Look at the OC Ocaholic got out of theirs! :eek: 1300 core 1525 mem. Without voltage control it looks like a lot of performance is being left on the table.

Back