The Pirate Bay To Use Low Orbit Server Drones?

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Pirate Bay plans on using unmanned, low orbit, GPS controlled drones? Rarely am I at a loss for words but this is definitely one of those times. :confused:

“With the development of GPS controlled drones, far-reaching cheap radio equipment and tiny new computers like the Raspberry Pi, we’re going to experiment with sending out some small drones that will float some kilometers up in the air. This way our machines will have to be shut down with aeroplanes in order to shut down the system. A real act of war.”

How are they planning on getting this stuff up there? You can't torrent a rocket.

Haha, that's hilarious. I suppose you could have them fly up, and return to a charging station on their own. We laugh now but 20-30 years from now robots and drones could be doing all sorts of shit on their own. :D

I can see the PATRIOT Act somehow coming into play with and the US shooting it down. Its not foreign soil and that thing was shooting America with "radiation".......

This kind of forward thinking is what advances science and politics.

Try things that go contrary to the prevailing opinion, or sound farfetched, and often it works. People who scoff at this need to open a history book or learn something about science. Sometimes things fall flat on their faces, sometimes they work. When they work, it advances humanity.

Also inb4 someone says "HURR DURR YEAH MP3 AND MOVIES SURE ARE ADVANCING HUMANITY DERP". That isn't the point.

The point is that people should try things, no matter how little the perceived benefit is. One invention inspires another.

Haha, that's hilarious. I suppose you could have them fly up, and return to a charging station on their own. We laugh now but 20-30 years from now robots and drones could be doing all sorts of shit on their own. :D

You must have missed the NASA solar powered weather drone.

LMAO!!!

Does this mean plan B is planting the servers in the arctic defended by Linux powered robot penguins armed with laser beam eyes? Please say yes!

The people who run this site really are in love with doing illegal shit and doing insane shit to not get caught. I give them an A for creativity, but I just don't see this as being practical.

Maybe they should buy some old platform in the middle of the sea/ocean like Sealand.

This is comical. Will they be built like little pirate ships complete with flying the Jolly Roger?

An excellent idea that could have a number of legitimate markets.

Lol, RIAA will discretely launch attack drones to destroy pirate bay drones. I like where this is going :D

Hahah!

catz.jpg

This kind of forward thinking is what advances science and politics.

Try things that go contrary to the prevailing opinion, or sound farfetched, and often it works. People who scoff at this need to open a history book or learn something about science. Sometimes things fall flat on their faces, sometimes they work. When they work, it advances humanity.

Atomic bomb? Pffft. Whatever. Never happen. Heavier than air flight machine? Pfft. Can't happen. Combustion Engine? Witchcraft!

I agree, man. Sounds pretty funky now, but in 10 years, it could be commonplace.

There will probably be some (perhaps legitimate) complains from the FAA (and the Swedish equivalent) about planes flying into them... :p

There will probably be some (perhaps legitimate) complains from the FAA (and the Swedish equivalent) about planes flying into them... :p

not if there at alt there talking about
about the ONLY thing that MIGHT have a chance of hitting one is a rocket or the SR-71
nothing flys that high other wise air is far to thin for most controlled flight

about the ONLY thing that MIGHT have a chance of hitting one is a rocket or the SR-71

it doesnt teleport to that altitude unless that is a design parameteer which makes it truly innovative :)

haha

i hope they do this and it works cause if it does man would i laugh so much harder than now lmao

And then there's this drone:
"The solar-electric-powered aircraft can cruise at altitudes above 60,000 feet at a speed of 70 to 80 knots while performing communications, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions."

See: Solar-Powered UAV With 400-Foot Wingspan Can Stay Aloft 5 Years

And then there's this drone:
"The solar-electric-powered aircraft can cruise at altitudes above 60,000 feet at a speed of 70 to 80 knots while performing communications, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions."

See: Solar-Powered UAV With 400-Foot Wingspan Can Stay Aloft 5 Years

very cool. I wonder if baloons filled with helium or hydrogen can accomplish this. I know the hydrogen and helium love to permeate the membrane of balloons, so i wonder if there some material that will drastically slow this down.

Rock on Pirate Bay. One thing I'll say about those guys, they got some cajones. Good to still see some in America's new Obama cajonesless society.

I wish I saw more of this in the news instead of ipad gossip and the like. Hell, I wish I saw more of this than most things I see day to day.

The catch: Communication. They can probably make drones that can do what they propose. It probably wouldn't be all that difficult, all things considered. The problem would be bandwidth. Who's going to be the provider? How's it going to work?

very cool. I wonder if baloons filled with helium or hydrogen can accomplish this. I know the hydrogen and helium love to permeate the membrane of balloons, so i wonder if there some material that will drastically slow this down.

idea has already be kicked around of blimps coverd in solar cells that could used for some thing like sat. internet but at the lower alt. wouldnt have the lag time of having to send a signal all the way to GEO

Sadly there's probably a clause somewhere that says that the US owns anything xx km of altitude, so somehow it will probably fall under US territory and they'll "raid" them by basically capturing the entire device to confiscate it and take it out, and charge them for some weird laws like trespassing, on top of all the piracy charges they'll just make up on the fly. They literally just pull huge numbers out of their ass to make the "crime" seem so bad when it really is not any worse than speeding 10 over the limit on a highway.

Though with the US trying to control the internet we almost need a huge network of drones to act as a large network mesh and provide an alternative internet. Basically it would be a large wifi adhoc network that is public. There would need to be a neutral group of people that control stuff like DNS and domain name registrations though.

I see a huge flaw in this plan.

They gotta connect to the internet somehow......just shut down the up/down links, and it's fin...let it float all it wants. :p

Sadly there's probably a clause somewhere that says that the US owns anything xx km of altitude, so somehow it will probably fall under US territory and they'll "raid" them by basically capturing the entire device to confiscate it and take it out, and charge them for some weird laws like trespassing, on top of all the piracy charges they'll just make up on the fly. They literally just pull huge numbers out of their ass to make the "crime" seem so bad when it really is not any worse than speeding 10 over the limit on a highway.

Though with the US trying to control the internet we almost need a huge network of drones to act as a large network mesh and provide an alternative internet. Basically it would be a large wifi adhoc network that is public. There would need to be a neutral group of people that control stuff like DNS and domain name registrations though.
Space law has been around since the 50's and so far I think each territory claims the space above them.

It's certainly not unregulated as the TPB blog entry seems to imply (or hope).

I see a huge flaw in this plan.

They gotta connect to the internet somehow......just shut down the up/down links, and it's fin...let it float all it wants. :p

How many unsecured wireless devices can you detect right now?

Back