Nvidia has 95% market share of Special effects industry

TheReproducer

Weaksauce
Nvidia powers latest Muppet movie

"Computer chip maker Nvidia's Quadro graphics cards are widely used across the special effects industry - the firm claims about 95% of the market - thanks in part to the take-up of its Cuda programming language among key software developers over the past two years."

Can this be write? That's quite a monopoly!!

Having said, it's great that they're making it so much easily for SFX to be made, surely that lowers cost and production time so that we get "more" for our money.

"Computer chip maker Nvidia's Quadro graphics cards are widely used across the special effects industry - the firm claims about 95% of the market - thanks in part to the take-up of its Cuda programming language among key software developers over the past two years."

Having said, it's great that they're making it so much easily for SFX to be made, surely that lowers cost and production time so that we get "more" for our money.

Considering its Nvidia making the claim its unreliable.

there might be some truth to this considering how many first tier software devs use cuda one would think the modeling software used to make 3d movies would benefit from cuda

Wouldn't surprise me at all due to CUDA. AMD has really missed the boat on GPGPU. CUDA made it easy to do and was out before there was anything cross platform. Even these days, AMD cards seem to be more flakey in some things. Vegas 11 supports CUDA and OpenCL, but seems to crash a hell of a lot more with OpenCL on AMD cards.

Also once you get entrenched in a market, particularly a pro one, it is hard to get dislodged. People will keep using your shit because they use your shit and so on.

Coming from a CUDA and OpenCL background myself, I can certainly see why. Nvidia was far more aggressive at pushing and supporting CUDA out the door, not to mention it just plain worked better. If anything, ATI (keep in mind that AMD inherited this stuff) just kind of sat on OpenCL without really placing any driving force behind it.

ATI established a rocky history with developers starting with the Brook days. They built a reputation of dumping legacy support once a new generation of silicon hits the market.

You'll find a similar pro-Nvidia theme in the supercomputing world too.

But how many are using cheaper softmodded "Quadro" geforce cards? :D

Maybe 0.1%?

I doubt that companies by consumer products and modd tham because they save some 100$. The most important cost factor is labour costs. If i have the choice to pay 1500$ for a quadro or 500$ for the GeForce and need to mod it, i prefer to pay 1.500$. Reason is i have full support and guarantee and i don't need to waste time of my employees.

You need to understand that usually the big price difference for the professional segment is not because of special hardware but for driver and software support and other support in general.

Wow, that is a poorly written "hidden" Nvidia commercial.

Maybe 0.1%?

I doubt that companies by consumer products and modd tham because they save some 100$. The most important cost factor is labour costs. If i have the choice to pay 1500$ for a quadro or 500$ for the GeForce and need to mod it, i prefer to pay 1.500$. Reason is i have full support and guarantee and i don't need to waste time of my employees.

You need to understand that usually the big price difference for the professional segment is not because of special hardware but for driver and software support and other support in general.

Not to mention some of the sub 200 (169) Quadro 400 cards outperform the 580 in SPEC Viewperf 11. So depending on your workstation application needs, Quadro is the way to go.

Back