Amazon's Top-Selling Games of 2011

About the only surprises for me up there are Just Dance (both 2 and 3) in the top 10 of physical games and DE:HR at the top spot for digital. Not to say that DE isn't a good game (it is a very good game), but it is definitely a niche title. I figured MW3 would top both categories.

So basically, every game in the top ten sold for both physical and digital is a sequel, except Dead Island

About the only surprises for me up there are Just Dance (both 2 and 3) in the top 10 of physical games and DE:HR at the top spot for digital. Not to say that DE isn't a good game (it is a very good game), but it is definitely a niche title. I figured MW3 would top both categories.

I do recall that DE:HR had a pretty sweet special when it was released if you got the digital version. I hopped on that.

No, I think they are waking up to the notion that Madden games have become a $60/yr subscription service of the exact same game.

Americans finally realized that EA are just milking Madden for what it's worth, while they are adding genuine, new features to the FIFA series (and updating/expanding the existing ones)?

Would you people who suggest that people who dislike Madden's subscription fee are playing FIFA instead also suggest that people who don't like CoD:MW3 because it's a map pack are playing Guitar Hero instead?

Would you people who suggest that people who dislike Madden's subscription fee are playing FIFA instead also suggest that people who don't like CoD:MW3 because it's a map pack are playing Guitar Hero instead?

There's a Guitar Hero FPS? :eek:

lol

So basically, every game in the top ten sold for both physical and digital is a sequel, except Dead Island

Dead Island is not on both lists (at least the front page HardOCP list)

I would hardly count 2 game out of 10 (Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: MW3) showing on both list some kinda trend. Results would be vastly different if they actaully had downloads for all the games on the physical side.

What I find surprising is Amazon offers digital downloads for anything. :rolleyes:

Could someone please just copy the fucking list into this post so that one doesn't have to click fifty bazillion links just to get to the point of this thread. Good grief.

[+Duracell-];1038269675 said:
I do recall that DE:HR had a pretty sweet special when it was released if you got the digital version. I hopped on that.

Yeah right before Christmas Amazon had the digital version of DE:HR for like $10. I'm wondering how far it climbed the list due to those sales?

I'd like to see how many people still actually play any of the games listed for sales 2011.

EXAMPLE:

Loads of devote Sid Meiers fans bought Civilization V (Sales show that) only to realize it was a pile of doggie doo dumbed down for the likes of mobile & console platform players, lacking any real depth when compared to previous Civilization games. If I could have, I would of shoved my copy of Civ5 up the 2KGames Product Managers hole it was so bad.

Madden was a surprise to me too and I do think EA, like Tiger Woods PGA Tour, is milking the hell out of the franchise with little reward gained by consumers between versions.

Could someone please just copy the fucking list into this post so that one doesn't have to click fifty bazillion links just to get to the point of this thread. Good grief.

Physical
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Just Dance 3
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Battlefield 3
Batman: Arkham City
Madden NFL 12
Portal 2
Just Dance 2
Gears of War 3
FIFA Soccer 12

Digital
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Battlefield 3
The Sims 3
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Sid Meir's Civilization V
Dead Island
Total War: Shogun 2
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
Crysis 2
Dragon Age 2

Dead Island is not on both lists (at least the front page HardOCP list)

I would hardly count 2 game out of 10 (Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: MW3) showing on both list some kinda trend. Results would be vastly different if they actaully had downloads for all the games on the physical side.

What I find surprising is Amazon offers digital downloads for anything. :rolleyes:

I believe you misunderstand his post. Separately, every game on the first list is a sequel of some magnitude and on the second list all but Dead Island are sequels... is what I think he meant.

What amazes me the most is that between the 2 lists, there's very little overlap. :confused:

What amazes me the most is that between the 2 lists, there's very little overlap. :confused:

For physical games, Amazon sells across all platforms.

Amazon Digital does not sell console variants of the games, and actually has a limited selection of PC games compared to physical. Amazon sells physical copies of Skyrim, but is not licensed to sell digital copies of Skyrim, they actually do not seem to have a license to sell Bethesda games digitally at all. They are also not licensed to sell Portal 2 (no one else other than Steam is) and Batman Arkham City.

keep in mind steam probably sells more digital games than amazon. at least in the US.

still dont understand why COD 3 is top

Consider that physical copies are probably predominantly for the console because they can't obtain digital copies. Once you understand that, it's relatively safe to assume that most console sales are for the Xbox and once you realize that...well, it just makes sense. Console kids love their Call of Duty.

still dont understand why COD 3 is top
Is it that hard to figure out? We love BF3 here at [H] but we're the minority. Every 15 year old and all of his schoolyard chums are playing MW3 on their 360s.

Good sales doesn't necessarily = good game, though ;)

Is it that hard to figure out? We love BF3 here at [H] but we're the minority. Every 15 year old and all of his schoolyard chums are playing MW3 on their 360s.

Good sales doesn't necessarily = good game, though ;)

Meh, MW3 isn't a bad game by any means. Sure, it's the same rehashed cash-grab that's been released annually since the original MW, but it's still not BAD. There just happens to be a better option out now.

Hey, I'm just happy we've gotten to the point where I don't have to see THE SIMS: POINTLESS EXPANSION 23049824 filling up six out of the ten slots.

Ahh dude Sims 3 is #3 on the digital copy list....sorry to have to point that out.

For physical games, Amazon sells across all platforms.

Amazon Digital does not sell console variants of the games, and actually has a limited selection of PC games compared to physical. Amazon sells physical copies of Skyrim, but is not licensed to sell digital copies of Skyrim, they actually do not seem to have a license to sell Bethesda games digitally at all. They are also not licensed to sell Portal 2 (no one else other than Steam is) and Batman Arkham City.
Yeah, I figure the physical games is more consoles and digital more for PCs, but still, I expected to see more overlap.

I never really browsed Amazon Digital's selection. I guess I'm too loyal to Steam. : \

Back