Pirate Bay Announces It’s Dropping Torrent Files

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Pirate Bay is dropping the familiar torrent files for the harder to block magnetic links. The move will result in slightly longer load times for the user, but saves in the amount of bandwidth used.

Magnet files offer a number of advantages for file sharing. They are stripped down to contain just the hash tag for the data content, not the location or name of the file in question

Pirate Bay is dropping the familiar torrent files for the harder to block magnetic links. The move will result in slightly longer load times for the user, but saves in the amount of bandwidth used.

By linking to this article, the United States Department of Homeland Security has deemed MajorDomo an Enemy of the State. Anyone caught in the presence of MajorDomo will be considered an accomplice, and will be shot on sight. May God have mercy on your souls.

By linking to this article, the United States Department of Homeland Security has deemed MajorDomo an Enemy of the Corporations. Anyone caught in the presence of MajorDomo will be considered an accomplice, and will be disappeared to GBay. May God have mercy on your souls.

Fixed that. Too many witnesses, come on. :)

By moving to magnet links they'll be putting basically "torrent links" into the swarm so it'll be impossible to even bring them into court since the swarm is the host of the link files.

Its pretty clever actually. No more having to host torrent file links directly , much harder for the law to charge them with anything.

Almost thought the kids grew up. Guess I was too optimistic.

I havent followed happenings in the torrent world for a while... but I thought TPB was bought buy some commercial outfit and all the copyrighted stuff was going to be removed?

What happened with that?

Really interesting concept. I wasn't even sure what magnet links were until I just googled and read about them. Crazy how they can figure this stuff out lol.

I havent followed happenings in the torrent world for a while... but I thought TPB was bought buy some commercial outfit and all the copyrighted stuff was going to be removed?

What happened with that?

That company never had enough money to begin with. So it's still owned by another company based in the Maldives. lol

Really interesting concept. I wasn't even sure what magnet links were until I just googled and read about them. Crazy how they can figure this stuff out lol.

Yes, I first took notice of Magnet links a long time ago when they showed up on the PirateBay almost a year ago or so.

Really, you don't notice any difference using them than using torrents other than some clients like 'uTorrent' won't show you what files your downloading till after the download has started. This makes it a bit harder to deselect '.nfo' and other useless '.txt' files to download just the 'core files' of a torrent. Whatever those may be :).

You can de-select it later after the torrent has been 'de-hashed' or whatever you want to call it -- but -- it takes a while/little bit. Going from torrents + magnet links to just magnet links won't really in any way negatively effect the user either. There's plenty of torrent clients that already support magnet links like utorrent etc. Probably 95% of torrent clients do.

Back