Ten Years Ago Today

lol, I remember my 1800+ :)

Good times, though it's crazy that my 2600K has over 30x the raw power of my 1800+ :eek:

Something's wrong with that picture. The L1 bridge isn't filled ...this isn't my [H] !!

I remember using rear window defrost repair kits to "join" the L1 bridges to unlock the multiplyers :D

I loved "penciling in" an overvolt or overclock. Felt so mad scientist back in the day. Water cooling was just getting its feet wet (so to speak)! Overclocking was a very rewarding experience back then. Man, I'm gettin' old!

I have an overclocked Barton that I only replaced about eighteen months ago. I'm thinking about pulling it back out and using it for a TeamSpeak server. Just make sure to be careful when installing the heatsink!

I have an overclocked Barton that I only replaced about eighteen months ago. I'm thinking about pulling it back out and using it for a TeamSpeak server. Just make sure to be careful when installing the heatsink!

Extra careful, those exposed cores scared the crap out of me.

qt3e9.jpg

My parents computer is still on a 2000+ AXP. The machine has been solid for their web browsing/microsoft word needs. I have slated them to have a new machine this year though. Giving them my i7

Good times! I still have a 2500+ Barton system laying around. It's been cannibalized and just collecting dust as of late, but with minimal effort, I'm sure it would fire right up.

That was a great processor. I had two systems with a 2000+ in them. One I gave to my father and the other I placed in a HTPC that I made out of spare parts. I still have the HTPC but it is not hooked up to anything at the moment.

this brings back pleasant memories. living in san francisco, i remember the 'viral' campaign AMD put out, the 'AMD Experience' which started out there in a parking lot at like 6 AM in the morning promising a 2000+ processor and motherboard to the first 100 - no one really believed it. i hardly did as well but took my tired butt out there....

arriving to a dark and empty parking lot with a few dozen other hard core geeks. and then this black truck/van shows up and they hand us some tickets. and then a quick stage....

and i come home with one of the new top-end cpu's and an msi motherboard.

of course, after we posted it all on the forums their next 'Experience' in san jose draws 2000 people. heh.

:D

Reminds me of my Athlon 1700+ DLTC stepping (I believe it was DLTC) that overclocked like crazy...my air conditioner had to run 24/7 because of that sucker.

Gotta love how old technology was designed to last for decades while the new ones... not so much.

Still got my Athlon xp 2000+ up and running. Keeps me toasty during the cold winter.

damn I actually have an XP2500+ in my living room, replacing my brother in laws computer... FINALLY

damn I actually have an XP2500+ in my living room, replacing my brother in laws computer... FINALLY

OH yeah, and the heat sink fell off, he had no idea what happened, but said as long as the computer was on its side with the side off it'd work fine. *sigh* God damn idiots

unreal that was so long ago! i remember me bragging to my friend about my Willamette P4 and he had his athlon that just flew!

i hate reading threads like this cause it makes me want to build a retro gaming box!

I remember that awsom Nforce2 chipset with dual channel ddr on it...
Ive started with a 1700+ as an upgrade from my Amd Duron 700mhz
Then ive got that a7n8x mobo wich worked so many years
Ive got a great radeon 9800 xt working on it
DDR 400 cl 2-2-2-5 !!!!!

i think these were most successful amd chips, it was my first ever pc: Athlon 2000+ xp with Biostar nforce2 mobo - loved it :)

I almost burned my house down pelt cooling an 1800. I forgot to turn off the extra PSU running the pelt and awoke to the smell of burning plastic. The (here's another oldie) black label delta fan melted a little bit, but the dang CPU was fine!

I loved "penciling in" an overvolt or overclock. Felt so mad scientist back in the day. Water cooling was just getting its feet wet (so to speak)! Overclocking was a very rewarding experience back then.

That's the truth!

My most crazy overclock experiment to date was with a Barton core.

The evaporative cooling tower was a badass thing to use...

cooling_tower.jpg

case_sm.jpg

The water temp in the tower actually would get *below* ambient air temperature (usually only a degree or so below ambient) due to the evaporative cooling effect.

Got that little sucker up to 2.75ghz (the Barton '2600+' stock clock was 1.9ghz)!

I remember scratching together every extra nickle and dime I could find to pony up for a Althon XP 1500+, didn't upgrade from that until I did the same thing to get a Clawhammer 3200+. Haven't bought an AMD processor since picking up a HTPC processor in s939, been a long time.

I got an 1800+ on release day and then didn't upgrade for 3 years, so I missed this one, but I still have fond memories of that time.

Other than overclocking my 486 which I have fond memories of since it was a 100% overclock, this - to me - was the golden age of overclocking.

Man, that was around the beginning of AMDs "Golden Age" imho.

AMD pretty much kicked ass throughout the AthlonXP/64/X2/early-Opteron years, while Intel was struggling with Netburst

Hard to believe it's already been so long since AMD made a performance part worth a damn.

That's the truth!

My most crazy overclock experiment to date was with a Barton core.

The evaporative cooling tower was a badass thing to use...

cooling_tower.jpg

case_sm.jpg

The water temp in the tower actually would get *below* ambient air temperature (usually only a degree or so below ambient) due to the evaporative cooling effect.

Got that little sucker up to 2.75ghz (the Barton '2600+' stock clock was 1.9ghz)!

I remember these being called "bong" coolers :p

I have 2003 AXP 2500 still here working, it works now 4 years more than it was expected.

I actually found one of those little "golden fingers" unlocking stickers for these Athlons in a filing cabinet I was cleaning out a few weeks back.

I never used it. I had penciled in my unlock, but I was concerned it might rub off, so I think that's why I ordered this thing at the time.

this brings back pleasant memories. living in san francisco, i remember the 'viral' campaign AMD put out, the 'AMD Experience' which started out there in a parking lot at like 6 AM in the morning promising a 2000+ processor and motherboard to the first 100 - no one really believed it. i hardly did as well but took my tired butt out there....

arriving to a dark and empty parking lot with a few dozen other hard core geeks. and then this black truck/van shows up and they hand us some tickets. and then a quick stage....

and i come home with one of the new top-end cpu's and an msi motherboard.

of course, after we posted it all on the forums their next 'Experience' in san jose draws 2000 people. heh.

:D

Ugh.

I was in Philly when this happened. I had to take a cab all the way out to the parking lot near the Zoo. Small crowd when I showed up. Got my ticket.

Then the crowd got big.

They (foolishly) waited for the crowd to stop growing before giving out tickets instead of starting at the designated time.

Numbers on both sides of my ticket were called. Eg, I was 101. 100 and 102 were called. A few other sequential numbers within a few of mine were also called. I was convinced my corresponding ticket never went into the raffle cup.

I walked to work completely defeated. The cab I took to get there was the last of my cash on hand until payday. Which was the next week.

Oh. It was also the one morning where it got suddenly cold and never warmed up.

So I got pretty sick.

Fuck you, AMD. Especially for telling me to go home when I was offering blowjobs for someone's prize.

Back