The Titanic Reproduced Using CryEngine 3

HardOCP News

[H] News
Although I'm not sure why anyone would want to, a company called ORM Entertainment has reproduced the Titanic using Crytek's CryEngine 3. It looks pretty good even though it is a work in progress. Now, if we can just blow the hell out of everything and sink the ship all over again, we'd be all set! :D

That would be fun to run around and shoot people. Maybe have a timer before it hits the iceberg you have to get 50 kills?

I see this as more of a proof-of-concept that game engines can be used for more than entertainment. First thing that comes to mind is the education market. A elementary classroom could 'visit' the Titanic rather than just reading about it. Obviously, other environments could be recreated for classroom use, and game developers would win out by seeing an increase in licensing revenue.

Do you have to "press start to begin"?

Yes, and it has a FOV of 70. Just watching it made me feel all claustrophobic and stuff and my nose started bleeding. Plus the mouse accelaration and auto-aim was almost as bad as HL2 :(

That´s a lot of great modelling and texturing, impressive! Light is very nice but far from realistic. Definitely gives off a feel of something a little more tangible and deep, than what we have seen before in terms of real time 3D. I can´t really think of a standard interior looking this great in any game at least.

If only he would kill off that awful motion blur. I am pretty sure Frostbite 2 could produce an even more astonishing interior, given all the limitations they "equipped" CryEngine 3 with (and given all the untapped potential of Frostbite 2 of course).

That is pretty cool. I would actually love to see that in a game as a map, preferably a FPS. Could be fun.

2012 will also be the anniversary of the Titanic's sinking, so it would be a great time. Maybe it's the plan.

Very impressive. They need to fix the water in the toilets. It pokes through the floor board and the porcelain toilet when you flush them.

Looks good, lots of detail. However am I the only one who was thinking they need a little more GPU power? Looks like some low FPS to me, and I'm not talking about how horrible the motion blur looks in this video either.

Looks good, lots of detail. However am I the only one who was thinking they need a little more GPU power? Looks like some low FPS to me, and I'm not talking about how horrible the motion blur looks in this video either.

Well there isn't a computer in the world right now (and for the next decade) that can run Crysis...

Framerate appears to be low (like around 18 FPS). So yeah, it looks like a CryEngine. Wonder what it would look like in Frostbite2?

That is pretty cool. I would actually love to see that in a game as a map, preferably a FPS. Could be fun.

2012 will also be the anniversary of the Titanic's sinking, so it would be a great time. Maybe it's the plan.

Actually, the anniversary happens every year. I think you are referencing the Centennial Anniversary.

I see this as more of a proof-of-concept that game engines can be used for more than entertainment. First thing that comes to mind is the education market. A elementary classroom could 'visit' the Titanic rather than just reading about it. Obviously, other environments could be recreated for classroom use, and game developers would win out by seeing an increase in licensing revenue.

I've been thinking about this since Garry's Mod. I'm sick of seeing black and white on dead trees. Dead. Trees. So much for saving the environment. Garry's Mod for Physics or any science-related studies. Cry Engine for design and art students and also for history students, they need entertainment badly because books can be just... Fatally dull.

FPS plot: you've come from the future to assasinate (or stop) some personage on the titanic. maybe involve some aliens or something... hmmm.... perhaps a "temporal assassin?" or something?

After playing around with Skyrim, I began to look for some mods. Lots of them out there, and mostly to improve the graphics. One thing that I see a lot is people asking, "how can I do this for the Xbox 360 version". They're shocked to find out that only PC users can do this.

This would be great if it were released for the public to see. I wanna hear console gamers ask if they can use it. So it can be explained that it sucks to be them.

BTW, the attention to detail is amazing. When I played Crysis 2, I thought the game engine was retarded for console systems, but it seems it was just the game itself. The CryEngine 3 seems to be able to do some amazing stuff, given that you ignore console systems all together.

When I was a little kid I spent countless hours on Microsoft's learning titles like Explorapedia and the Magic School Bus series of games (not to mention just browsing Encarta, remember the days before Wikipedia?).

This sort of thing would have been a lot of fun. The best we had back then were the panoramas in Encarta.

When I was a little kid I spent countless hours on Microsoft's learning titles like Explorapedia and the Magic School Bus series of games (not to mention just browsing Encarta, remember the days before Wikipedia?).

This sort of thing would have been a lot of fun. The best we had back then were the panoramas in Encarta.

I remember when encarta had that quiz game. Then the home PC came with a copy of it, then that version didn't have it. I was all :(.

Kind of weird CD-roms used to be in libraries, in a sort of interactive book form. Now that could happen on websites or something, but it doesn't appear to.

Doesn't look that great. Still looks just like a game.

"work in progress", yea, your spelling and grammar appear to be as well. :p

Get the motion blur off, as well as the annoying dark to light effects when looking at light sources, higher / bigger textures as those ones are too low, and have it feel like you're actually a person walking, it could be ok as an adventure.

Framerate appears to be low (like around 18 FPS). So yeah, it looks like a CryEngine. Wonder what it would look like in Frostbite2?
Does Frostbite 2 support RLR and the myriad other effects that CryEngine 3 does in DX11?

Doesn't look that great. Still looks just like a game.

"work in progress", yea, your spelling and grammar appear to be as well. :p

Get the motion blur off, as well as the annoying dark to light effects when looking at light sources, higher / bigger textures as those ones are too low, and have it feel like you're actually a person walking, it could be ok as an adventure.

they are German. look at their youtube page there.

I used to work for a CAD company that was considering using the CryEngine for demonstrations - this is why. It's not bad for on the fly graphics.

But this game really needs zombies...

<cough> nerd alert </cough>

Whoever made this has way too much time on their hands.

I think you should stop hating this is an amazing project and looks great.

Does the guy who spends all his time in the shop working on his car that he cannot race on public roads without killing someone also a "nerd" because its his passion?

That's CryEngine for ya. He probably would've been better off toggling settings like sys_physics_CPU and just pre-render the whole walkthrough @ 30 FPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic:_Adventure_Out_of_Time

they need to remake that game, my girlfriend is mad that she can't get it working in a stable manor on newer OSes and she liked the game.

I freaking loved that game. I won a bet once that I could beat the game while obtaining all the artifacts (book, notebook, shawl... and necklace I believe) in under an hour.

I would LOVE to see a remake of it.

I also think I got it running in Win 95 compatibility mode...

I freaking loved that game. I won a bet once that I could beat the game while obtaining all the artifacts (book, notebook, shawl... and necklace I believe) in under an hour.

I would LOVE to see a remake of it.

I also think I got it running in Win 95 compatibility mode...

Correction: Painting instead of shawl.

What the heck is it with motion blur? Does this kind of effect occur in real life? If so, I have never seen it? I guess I just don't get it.

Back