New AMD Opteron Delivers the Ultimate in Performance, Scalability and Efficiency

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced immediate launch and availability of its AMD Opteron™ 6200 and 4200 Series processors (formerly code-named “Interlagos” and “Valencia”). The new AMD Opteron processors are designed to give enterprises:

• Better performance for business with up to 84 percent higher performance
  • Increased scalability for Virtualization with up to 73 percent more memory bandwidth, enabling servers to host more virtual machines and also handle increasing workloads
  • More efficient economics for the Cloud with half the power per core , requiring 2/3 less floor spaceiv and up to 2/3 lower platform price

"Immediate availability" apparently doesn't mean "currently purchasable". Oh well, I guess I'll check back in a month.

With BD's power consumption and the stability issues being reported in the AMD Processors forum, I'm not sure what IT admin would buy servers with these chips.

Agreed with MrMike. I would interested to see a virtualization shoot with the latest and greatest from both camps.

Great, a 16-core CPU with similar performance of its previous generation (MC).

With BD's power consumption and the stability issues being reported in the AMD Processors forum, I'm not sure what IT admin would buy servers with these chips.

I thought power consumption was good at low clock speeds but yea would like to see these tested.

Anyone folding with these yet? Considering the FPU intensive nature of folding, I don't have very high hopes for these 16 core server chips.

Anyone folding with these yet? Considering the FPU intensive nature of folding, I don't have very high hopes for these 16 core server chips.

I believe that dwdawg has some on order, Patriot may have played with some a while back but I cannot remember, A couple of people have reported some PPD on FX chips but tweaking to find the best results continues.

Heres hoping AMD comes back with a real winner.

You and me both. If they can knock it out of the park with these, then that gives me hope they can come back with something competitive in the near future.

I see it lots in their PR, but do they understand what "ultimate" even means? :confused:

Maybe they just have a really really bad dictionary...

LOL! Yeah it does seem that way with their names for their processors. Phenom, Bulldozer, Piledriver, Super Awesome God Of CPU's. Too bad they never pan out.

As much as we panned the desktop version of the chip (rightly so), this is an area where it could legitimately content with Intel. I would love to see server benchmarks just to know how well it does in these kinds of situations.

My hunch is that in specialized workloads it will do very well, but will be unremarkable otherwise. Power is also a big, big concern so it would have to get work done very quickly to justify the power envelope we saw in the desktop versions.

Back