Oregon Looks to iPads to Help Disabled People Vote

Wouldn't writing the ballots in really large font still be more cost effective? make them like a large "bingo" card, ink your choice.

"No no no, don't push that button....push THIS button....there you go! Have a Fig Newton." ;)

Steve, are you starting to warm up against Apple products and Apple? Been noticing it lately.

Proud to be a member of one of the more progressive states in our union. It's a really cool initiative for sure.

Still think the shotgun thing is a better use. Why add ipads to the voting system? It's not exactly a secure platform...

Vote by mail is awesome. You don't have to take time off work, stand in line all day, or get arrested for public intoxication. :D

Armed with iPads and portable printers, county election workers are going to parks, nursing homes, community centers and anywhere else they might find groups of voters who have trouble filling out traditional paper ballots.

Guess the democrats are getting worried about the next election.
This is defiantly a progressive idea, just look at where they are want to find these extra votes….
Parks (where they can buy the homeless votes for a cheap bottle of wine), nursing homes (where they can tell people who still thing FDR is president how to vote), community centers (more homeless, illegal’s, etc.).

I'm surprised they didn't list cemeteries, jails and grade schools.

The only use for an ipad is a a paper weight or maybe a cheep table to eat a chicken sandwitch and fries on from dairy queen ro arbys then you toss in the trash with the wrappers;.

It is a useless tablet with crap software installed on it.

I don't have a problem with the idea of using tablets as a form of portable electronic voting system (assuming they can be secured to the same standard as traditional votes), technology is meant to benefit all of us.

If the iPad really is the best tool for the job then fair enough, but is it?

So many people always seem to just jump to the iPad like it's the only tablet in existence. Like the Council in the UK that wanted to put an iPad in every garbage truck cab. I get that they are 'cool' but since when does government care about cool?

For something like this they should have a system they can run custom software to limit potential security holes from 'extra features' (Perhaps I'm giving government software procurement too much credit)

Have to wonder if the 'We better blow our budget so we get the same amount next year' mentality of wilful inefficiency has anything to do with it.

I don't have a problem with the idea of using tablets as a form of portable electronic voting system (assuming they can be secured to the same standard as traditional votes), technology is meant to benefit all of us.

If the iPad really is the best tool for the job then fair enough, but is it?

So many people always seem to just jump to the iPad like it's the only tablet in existence. Like the Council in the UK that wanted to put an iPad in every garbage truck cab. I get that they are 'cool' but since when does government care about cool?

For something like this they should have a system they can run custom software to limit potential security holes from 'extra features' (Perhaps I'm giving government software procurement too much credit)

Have to wonder if the 'We better blow our budget so we get the same amount next year' mentality of wilful inefficiency has anything to do with it.

Its not about the right tool for the job, but about the right marketing for the product. Airline pilots want IPads in cockpits, Air Force wants IPads on flight lines for pre-checks, Politicians want IPads for X...Flood the TV shows, commercials, and any other media outlet with your product and people will buy it for no other reason than product recognition.

Its not about the right tool for the job, but about the right marketing for the product. Airline pilots want IPads in cockpits, Air Force wants IPads on flight lines for pre-checks, Politicians want IPads for X...Flood the TV shows, commercials, and any other media outlet with your product and people will buy it for no other reason than product recognition.

Exactly, but say that and you're 'Anti-Apple' and another example of the 'Bias on [H]', when in fact the only bias is against bullshit.

The only use for an ipad is a a paper weight or maybe a cheep table to eat a chicken sandwitch and fries on from dairy queen ro arbys then you toss in the trash with the wrappers;.

It is a useless tablet with crap software installed on it.

As eloquent as always.

Steve, are you starting to warm up against Apple products and Apple? Been noticing it lately.

There just seems to be a decent balance of good/bad Apple news lately. Kinda nice to not get flamed for news we post (we don't make the news, we just report it). :)

Proud to be a member of one of the more progressive states in our union. It's a really cool initiative for sure.

They still use "traditional paper ballots" in Oregon? We have been using electronic voting booths here in Kentucky for 20+ years. I remember voting for Ross Perot on one of them. :p

I still remember laughing at the whole Florida "Stuck Chads" thing back in the Bush/Gore election and wondering why the state that housed NASA was still using paper ballots.

Sure if done right this might be a good idea, but how will the citizenship eligibility and address verification be handled on this?

Wouldn't writing the ballots in really large font still be more cost effective? make them like a large "bingo" card, ink your choice.

Exactly, I'd be mad as hell if my state wasted money on ipads for such a limited use in these tough times.How many times will these ipads be used for this purposeand what happens to them Afterwards?

I really wish the money put into this went into the schools they're closing down every year.

Yes, it's sad to see Portland schools closing down, among other places, and then the next news item on KGW is something like this. Millions spent to help voters, or to create a trail, or a pedestrian trail, or whatever. I hold education very high, and apparently the politicians don't care for it at all. An educated people is a dangerous people to the government.

Why iPads? Why can't there be a touchscreen monitor running a SECURE OS, running only the app to vote. Text sizes can be adjusted, as well as language and other items that need to be custom. But, as this is for older folks, I'm all for the bingo card idea. 90% of them can't use the television remote control. They just figured out the microwave... Just barely.

Yes, it's sad to see Portland schools closing down, among other places, and then the next news item on KGW is something like this. Millions spent to help voters, or to create a trail, or a pedestrian trail, or whatever. I hold education very high, and apparently the politicians don't care for it at all. An educated people is a dangerous people to the government.

Why iPads? Why can't there be a touchscreen monitor running a SECURE OS, running only the app to vote. Text sizes can be adjusted, as well as language and other items that need to be custom. But, as this is for older folks, I'm all for the bingo card idea. 90% of them can't use the television remote control. They just figured out the microwave... Just barely.

Because there's a hardcore Apple fan that works for the State of Oregon who has a boner for ipads and anything Apple that's why ipads. Just like there teachers who are hardcore Apple fans that want ipads for every student. Apples marketing has conditioned these peoeple to push Their agenda for them. Instead of spending public money carefully in this economy they want to buy tons of fucken ipads that'll be useless in 1- 2 years. Why not buy cheap $200 tablets that will do the job just as well? Because they love Apple and it's not their money that's why. I'd love to hear their excuse though.

If I sound angry it's because I am. I'm sick and tired of these people complaining they don't have enough money when they blow it on fucken toys. Fuck Apple, Fuck Oregon and fuck their stupid ass elections.

Because there's a hardcore Apple fan that works for the State of Oregon who has a boner for ipads and anything Apple that's why ipads. Just like there teachers who are hardcore Apple fans that want ipads for every student. Apples marketing has conditioned these peoeple to push Their agenda for them. Instead of spending public money carefully in this economy they want to buy tons of fucken ipads that'll be useless in 1- 2 years. Why not buy cheap $200 tablets that will do the job just as well? Because they love Apple and it's not their money that's why. I'd love to hear their excuse though.

If I sound angry it's because I am. I'm sick and tired of these people complaining they don't have enough money when they blow it on fucken toys. Fuck Apple, Fuck Oregon and fuck their stupid ass elections.

article_welcome-to-oregon_229x149.jpg

As for the idea and fraud, it is a concern, but it's about a big of a concern as the current method where a worker fills out the voter form for the elderly/disabled/etc..

This is defiantly a progressive idea, just look at where they are want to find these extra votes….
Parks (where they can buy the homeless votes for a cheap bottle of wine), nursing homes (where they can tell people who still thing FDR is president how to vote), community centers (more homeless, illegal’s, etc.).

So your argument is that republicans need to disenfranchise elderly, handicapped, or homeless voters in order to win elections. You don't think any of those people should have a voice in our democracy?

(Btw, It's very telling how you equate the homeless with illegal immigrants. If anything, the homeless are some of the people who most need to be heard.)

I hope they don't waste tax dollars on that.... there are so many MUCH CHEAPER tablets that can do the same simple thing like that. You don't need an ipad for a simple voting app, just a low-end $100 android junker tablet will be enough.

[ ] Voteoption#1
then with a HUGE gap for the older people with bad hand/eye so they don't hit the wrong one.
then [ ] Voteoption#2

after that, make a confirm page with their votes so they can review, and confirm.

So, so fucking simple, yet nobody has designed it for mass voter use.... :rolleyes: I know someone on this very forum has the skills to make this much cheaper

ROFL, nice troll. Are you serious? When do people who run voting booths passing out liquor for people to vote :rolleyes:

More republican delusions... typical. I bet you believe and watch Fox News & Friends daily, amirite?! :eek:

Seriously tablets? Why not just mail them a piece of paper to fill out and get notarized? Or maybe hire a notary to go around and do this before the election?

But then again Christmas is coming up and one department is going to get some really cool presents this year!

I really wish the money put into this went into the schools they're closing down every year.

Schools have had their funding doubled, accounting for inflation, and have shown NO progress in the performance of students over the past 50 years. By all accounts, we should be able to cut it in half and still get the smae result. :eek:

Schools have had their funding doubled, accounting for inflation, and have shown NO progress in the performance of students over the past 50 years. By all accounts, we should be able to cut it in half and still get the smae result. :eek:

The inflation adjusted cost of resources (textbooks, lunches, lab equipment, computers, basic supplies, etc) has much more than doubled in the same time frame while teacher pay on average has stagnated or declined.

Vote by mail is awesome. You don't have to take time off work, stand in line all day, or get arrested for public intoxication. :D

Not only that, but you can spend buckets of days going over the ballot. Reading newspaper articles, watching the candidate's interviews and videos, etc WHILE voting.

It's a great system. Makes you much, much less likely to vote along straight party lines, or have to make a guess at an issue you didn't realize was going to be on the ballot...since you can freely research everything to your heart's content on everything you vote on.

Back