Anonymous Retreats From Drug Cartel Confrontation

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait, Anonymous is backing down from that drug cartel? I can't believe this! I am shocked...shocked I tell you! It's not like they have a track record of threatening to take down organizations (Facebook, the NYSE, Wisconsin's Governor, BART, the EFF, Fox News, NYPD to name a few) and then never following through. ;)

Plans by the hacker collective Anonymous to expose collaborators with Mexico's bloody Zetas drug cartel – a project it dubbed "#OpCartel" – have fallen into disarray, with some retreating from the idea of confronting the killers while others say that the kidnap of an Anonymous hacker, the incident meant to have spawned the scheme, never happened.

they gotta redeem their reputation somehow.

maybe theyre planning something quietly, behind the scenes..
then again..

I was kinda looking forward to how this would turn-out if they carried through.

Although as the guardian article pointed out, anybody who gets named by Anonymous on this "operation" will likely end up dead, regardless if he or she was truly working with the cartel. So it is good they stopped.

I guess its back to targeting non-violent organizations for them (Facebook, November 5:rolleyes:)

Nobody will save us from the evil mexican drug cartels and illegal immigration mexicans taking our jobs. not even Anonymous we are screwed./

So how do they know that an anonymous was kidnapped if by definition they're anonymous? Just because someone was wearing a stupid mask?

What's the source on this? When I click on the title of the link I expect to be taken to a news article but it opens a new windows for the same page I was on. Derp.

P.s. Anonymous is a bunch of teens without a cause. Don't expect them to change the world.

P.s. Anonymous is a bunch of teens without a cause. Don't expect them to change the world.
They have a cause, but it's not very well funded (due to the aforementioned "teens" issue).

It will be interesting to see what happens when they've gotten some school and some money, and the influence that money will buy. The mindset of every new generation is different than that of the previous one; society and technology are moving hand in hand at breakneck speed.

This made it on to out local morning talk show the other day. They were saying "man those cartel guys have really stepped in it this time. These guys can do anything! I mean the head of the cartel could be out and these guys could find them on security cameras. They could wipe out all their money these cartels have."

I was laughing my ass off. Shows like CSI and NCIS have just totally warped the way people think. I mean the radio DJ actually said that Annon could be monitoring all the security cameras in Mexico and find the head of the cartel.

I thought we were gonna get a low budget Saw movie with a bunch of anonymous guys in it.

I bought all this popcorn for nothing. :(

Anonymous know that the mexican cartels have computer savvy people working in their ranks. Unlike previous targets, Anonymous knows that if they pick a fight with the drug cartel, their heads will be on a pole on display the next day.

While it is smart they don't pick a fight with the cartel, it says a lot about Anonymous: cowards.

This makes me wonder if one of the Anonymous lives in Mexico.

why are you guys so hard on Anonymous I dont see any of you going after the cartels? sorry not trying to flame anyone. :confused:

why are you guys so hard on Anonymous I dont see any of you going after the cartels? sorry not trying to flame anyone. :confused:

Because Anonymous goes around pounding their chest claiming they are champions for the common folks, and claiming they are a power not to be F'd with. Well, the Mexican drug cartels kills and terrorize people all the time. All the targets Anonymous attacked already, they at least know their balls won't get chopped off and stuffed down their throats.

My guess is, one of the cartels might have somehow got a lead on one or more of the Anonymous members, and Anon high tailed out of there. This could be an indicator that one or more Anon members probably live in Mexico.

Because theyre a bunch of chicken shit malcontents sitting in their moms basements screwing with other people's lives and doing it, forgive the pun, but anonymously. Theyre not courageous warriors for truth and justice. If they were theyd be going after a lot worse things out there than Fox News.

Because theyre a bunch of chicken shit malcontents sitting in their moms basements screwing with other people's lives and doing it, forgive the pun, but anonymously. Theyre not courageous warriors for truth and justice. If they were theyd be going after a lot worse things out there than Fox News.

Well yes that’s true they trash talk A little bit much but as far as sitting there screwing with other people’s lives I am pretty sure our congress does the same thing only difference is they have their own place because we pay them.

lol, they got scared when they came up someone who don't give a shit about any laws/security/justice etc, oh.. hey, wasn't that something they were trying to liberate us from? :D

Haha, I wonder how many gallons of urine were pissed when they realized who they were dealing with?

The threat of decapitation is more than most of these Anonymous Asperger's cases can handle.

How do we know it wasn't a copycat posing as anonymous, is anonymous even a single entity? Isn't it just the personification of the alignment of the wills of bored 4chan'ers. Kind of a tongue in cheek running joke. But now it seems people believe they're really some cohesion to this lot?

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Who really thought this fake group would be going after drug cartels?

"Plans by the hacker collective Anonymous to expose collaborators with Mexico's bloody Zetas drug cartel"

Operation Fast and Furious drug running by the Government ring any bells? Wake up people the collaborators are the the U.S. and those in control of its strings. Allowed to ship in all the drugs they want as long as they Launder all their money through the big Mega Banks. Those that don't get wiped out in "Mexican Drug Wars". They get caught all the time. ATF ships the guns in, certain Cartels get to ship in drugs with no fear. They even train Cartel members in military tactics in the U.S.

Let's not get started how the U.S. guards the opium fields in Afghanistan. First thing they did after invading was fire up the Opium Fields. Oh, and don't look at the order to attack Afghanistan on Sept. 10/2001. What a coincidence!

I hope they do shutdown FB for a good 2 days.... that'll be heavily put in the media, and everyone would quit priasing that counter-productive waste of time and investments.

So far, they've shut them all down except AMAZON from what I understand.... and thats because the amazon servers in the US are top-notch, certainly better than FB (unless they use amazons servers lol) -- and I think they DID shutdown amazon, but outside their US server cluster.

I can't wait to see what happens with that..... (sit back with popcorn? yesssss)

Seeing as the cartels like to cut the heads off of their victims does anyone else find the "logo" of Anonymous being a man with no head ironic?

Yeah, yeah... I hope they shutdown all the internetz lol, that wud show society a lessons or two about it lol.

These kids are so uninspired. Desynching an IRC server use to be the in thing to do, now they've just moved on to ecommerce. I guess they don't have much regard for making money in america since their allowance comes from thin air.

I see a lot of 30 and 40 somethings posting on here that don't really have any idea what the "core" idea behind anonymous is.

In my opinion, all that anonymous wants is to point out things that they deem "wrong", things that need to be corrected in the world, or made public. Some of them skew this ideal, some of them think differently, that's the downside to be "anonymous", it is one person and every person...

Anyways, I guarantee that if Nov 5 is successful that they will be labelled as criminals. And the irony will be completely lost on the masses. Anon will force millions to actually connect with people in REALITY, freeing them from the binds of not only the computer screen, but also the rape of their privacy that facebook is.

But again, this is just my opinion. I'm a paranoid person too.

I think you're giving more meaning to what they have proposed. I mean, do you really think that the goal of a bunch of cyber recluses is to get people to stop socializing on the internet? If that's so then they are gigantic hypocrites and should DDOS 4chan not to mention the primary way they are relating to the world is through the internet.

Back