Time Zone Checks to Blame for iPhone 4S Battery Bug?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Apple engineers have been investigating reports coming in from concerned owners of the new iPhone 4S over the lack of a promised improved battery life. In fact, many owners have noticed decreased battery performance. Several owners have tracked the problem back to the Time Zone Setting constantly updating its position.

An icon beside the setting, which indicates whether it has been used in the past 24 hours, suggests that it is running repeatedly to access the phone's location even when there is no apparent reason to do so.

Lets see. An Apple product, constantly checking to see were it is. Gee, I wonder why on earth it would do that? (Dawns a tin foil hat).

And despite this, there will still be an issue when we revert back to Standard Time next Sunday.

Don't they have a time zone related issue of some sort just about every year? If it isn't this it's DST & alarms etc., you'd think they'd have nipped it in the bud by now... Then again, updating the clock on Windows PCs has never worked right either down here in Puerto Rico where there's no DST, even if you turn the DST option off it still applies it when updating. :eek:

No. Clearly the work of the California education system. :mad:

Wouldn't be shocked. Funny thing is, my 4S does seem to drain faster than expected, faster than my 3GS, so maybe this is to blame. *sigh*

I wouldn't be caught dead buying an iMac or iPad ... but the 1st iPhone was an iPod + phone for me and I've been too busy/lazy/timid to switch since. Mea culpa.

Apple products don't have bugs. They are Magical™ and Perfect in every way.

You're perceiving the passage of time wrong.™

What is sad about this is that the cell phone signal will update time zones automatically for you. Why is Apple doing additional checking. Even dumb phones update automatically when you cross a time zone and it isnt because it is randomly checking stuff.

its not just the new iPhone 4s that is having issues, iOS5 absolutely destroys my iPod battery....its almost as bad as my Thunderbolt on 4g....

What is sad about this is that the cell phone signal will update time zones automatically for you. Why is Apple doing additional checking. Even dumb phones update automatically when you cross a time zone and it isnt because it is randomly checking stuff.

It's used to keep calendar settings and notifications consistent when moving between timezones. Sometimes there's legit reasons why you may want it to keep your schedules at your home zone, and vice versa. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4504

Another thing that might be killing the battery is what I think is an email bug.
I have gmail set to push, but sometimes (randomly) it won't be able to download the emails even though there is a perfect connection (3g and wifi). So the phone keeps trying to download emails for hours on end, killing the battery and made the phone very hot.

Back