New Trojan Uses Macs to Attack Websites

HardOCP News

[H] News
It seems that Hackers are recycling old Linux malware to use on Mac OS X. It's kinda funny how, even when dealing with malware, everything comes to the PC first and then it takes years to come to the Mac. :)

Software security company ESET reports that hackers have successfully ported older Linux-targeting malware to Mac OS X. OSX/Tsnunami.A is a new variant of Linux/Tsunami, a malicious piece of software that commandeers your computer and uses its network connection to attack other websites.

PC is like the hot girl everyone wants to hit on first, and MAC is the lame hipster girl that gets hit on after PC has already done that.

*pops popcorn* /me waiting for the flood of "It can't get infected, it's perfect!" and other similar dribble responses. As Apple keeps eating away at the market share delta, it's not a stretch to think more people are going to develop nasty-ware for their platform.

I want to see more malware on Android and iOS. Can you imagine how Android and iOS devices would come to a screeching halt if they had to run antivirus software?

*pops popcorn* /me waiting for the flood of "It can't get infected, it's perfect!" and other similar dribble responses. As Apple keeps eating away at the market share delta, it's not a stretch to think more people are going to develop nasty-ware for their platform.

God I hope so, I have to listen to them here at work, how its so much faster and how I don't need Anti-virus protection because it Never Ever gets a virus

I want to see more malware on Android and iOS. Can you imagine how Android and iOS devices would come to a screeching halt if they had to run antivirus software?

There are TONS of Android malware out there and it's pretty much nonexistent in iOS. Open vs Closed.

God I hope so, I have to listen to them here at work, how its so much faster and how I don't need Anti-virus protection because it Never Ever gets a virus

Somehow I think as Apple gets more popular, Apple users will be in denial and very deep dudu, I can see It now, something is going to be very funny when the shoes on the other foot, theirs in fact. Then It'll be, We told Ya so! And they didn't heed our advice...

All hackers know macs and apple crap is worthless and nobody uses them worth hacking except for the fucking apple hipsters.

Its not worth the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCS0fcjaba8

useless-hipster-scum.jpg

1oge.jpg

Wait...did you just turn Apple not getting new viruses as fast into an insult somehow? :eek:

All user error of course. Nothing to see here.

Well, the user does have to download it, run it, and enter their password for it to install, but right now people feel secure enough by the lack of viruses that they don't take the proper precautions. Really if you want to be safe you should probably only buy and download your apps from the Mac App Store.

Well, the user does have to download it, run it, and enter their password for it to install, but right now people feel secure enough by the lack of viruses that they don't take the proper precautions. Really if you want to be safe you should probably only buy and download your apps from the Mac App Store.

Actually, after reading the comments further down in the article it turns out although it's classified as a trojan by this antivirus company (who urges you to download their software to detect it), it can only be installed by opening up a terminal (command line) window, editting the bash script files, moving the files to the right folders, and configuring the system to run it. The average person is definitely not going to do all that, and the advanced user would know better because when they're editting the bash script they'd see what it does.

Actually, after reading the comments further down in the article it turns out although it's classified as a trojan by this antivirus company (who urges you to download their software to detect it), it can only be installed by opening up a terminal (command line) window, editting the bash script files, moving the files to the right folders, and configuring the system to run it. The average person is definitely not going to do all that, and the advanced user would know better because when they're editting the bash script they'd see what it does.

Does not matter. We need more anti-Apple posts. Anything to help fuel the fire!

I was thinking the same thing. The features that keep linux relatively virus-free are often the same ones that protect crApple. Innovating through stealing, patenting and suing.

I do have these weird dual and opposing thoughts in my head after reading articles like these. Part of me can't wait to see some BIOS viruses and cross-platform infectious software. The other side of me is contemplating just how much of a hassle and trouble it would potentially cause me.

Meh, anything to put those pseudo-religious apple fanatics in their place. Bring it on!

Meh, anything to put those pseudo-religious apple fanatics in their place. Bring it on!

Wishing for people's computers to get infected out of spite... and you call THEM fanatics? :rolleyes:

Time to take that mote out of thy own eye. :D

Without steve jobs voodoo mojo to protect apple's os now I'm sure we will see alot more malware on apple now.

a complicated and manual malware installation.. sounds really dangerous.. They need to put it up on the app store and get a decent installer

Couple of pretty awesome beards in this thread.

Not sure what to make of an Apple thread with massive beards, does not compute.

Wow, Steve do you read most articles prior to posting or do you blindly post them?

I'm scratchin' my head over this because...generally speaking...the actions you've described would have to be done automatically by the malware, else it wouldn't be malware...;) This is the kind of thing malware does--copying itself to various directories/folders, executing scripts, etc. Malware, remember, is nothing but a hostile *program* you inadvertently open your system to, usually from a web site of, shall we say, ill repute, and etc.

The average Mac user is going to be so busy thinking that his Mac is invulnerable to malware that when he contracts it he's not going to be aware of it until the malware decides to clue him in.

But what the heck, right? The average OS X user has a powerful weapon that Mac OS users have employed to save their bacon on countless occasions down through the years:

Reformat & Reinstall the Mac OS

Heh...;) Works almost every time, my friend at the local Mac store, who does tech support for local Macs, informs me. He never wants for business, or so he says.

Oh she's a slut alright! ;)

Totally, I mean look at all those bare parts that can be seen from the clear side!
Look, all seven of her expansion slots are full, what a whore! :D
Doesn't leave much to the imagination.

Screw you guys! My PC has never been anywhere near anything floppy and has never worn anything see-through. That was a photoshop job and you know it!

But what the heck, right? The average OS X user has a powerful weapon that Mac OS users have employed to save their bacon on countless occasions down through the years:

Reformat & Reinstall the Mac OS

Heh...;) Works almost every time, my friend at the local Mac store, who does tech support for local Macs, informs me. He never wants for business, or so he says.
Takes about 20-30 minutes and everything is back up and running (including programs, not just the OS) exactly the way the user left it before the R&R too.

Didn't think this Forum had that many Apple lovers :confused:, unless I'm missing something?

Back