U.S. Crafting Framework for Cyber Offense

HardOCP News

[H] News
We all laugh at stuff like this and make the "Skynet" jokes but, considering this is our government talking about cyber offense, I'm just a tad bit nervous. What was that "self-aware" date again?

The United States is still crafting a legal framework to guide any offensive moves in cyberspace, months after the Pentagon unveiled a broad cyber strategy, the head of the military command responsible for such operations said on Tuesday. Kehler has overall responsibility for the U.S. Cyber Command, a sub-unit that began operating in May 2010. Its mission is to protect Defense Department networks and, if ordered, to go on the offensive to make sure the United States retains the ability to use digitally networked systems on land, at sea and in the air.

I think we're safe. . Skynet becomes self-aware at 02:14 am Eastern Time after its activation on August 4, 1997.

I think we're safe. . Skynet becomes self-aware at 02:14 am Eastern Time after its activation on August 4, 1997.
Well 1984's been a bit slow getting off the ground, so this may have suffered the same sort of delays.

This is a joke. Everyone knows that they'll just arrest the most capable of our citizens and assemble some half-ass team of nitwits.

That's actually what makes our combat units so effective; most of the guys I served with belong in jail (or were there at one point already). 82nd was the go to for everyone that had "run ins" at Ranger Batt. lol Army is a great way to put talent to use.

This is a joke. Everyone knows that they'll just arrest the most capable of our citizens and assemble some half-ass team of nitwits.

That's actually what makes our combat units so effective; most of the guys I served with belong in jail (or were there at one point already). 82nd was the go to for everyone that had "run ins" at Ranger Batt. lol Army is a great way to put talent to use.
I think that in times of war dangerous criminals should be given a choice of prison or the front lines. If they survive they can remain in that country.

Frankly, I don't put much faith in this. The Government has a long history of not paying computer experts enough. Unless there has been a major change I don't see anyone who is actually good working for the government. The reality is the real players out there who actually know what they are doing can make far more money privately. This is why they have not and will never catch any of the real players behind groups like Anon/Lulzsec. they are only going to catch some of the idiots who are dumb enough to go around waving their epeen. The ones who are actually pulling the strings in the background are just laughing their asses off.

I think that in times of war dangerous criminals should be given a choice of prison or the front lines. If they survive they can remain in that country.

Agreed. :D

My Drill Sergeant was on the "Army or Jail" plan for blowing up his high school bleachers. I saw him a few years ago on a PBS documentary --can't miss him since his name is Savage-- right before his retirement.

One of the guys in our unit stole a car, went AWOL and is now a Ranger with countless medals and 6 combat tours. ...not to mention the countless DUIs in our unit. Nowadays, I hear they're not as forgiving though. I seriously don't understand why you wouldn't want people that enjoy the lifestyle in (for below minimum wage) and off the streets or rotting (on tax dollars) in jail.

The most effective thing they could possibly do would be to take the guys busted (like the kids of Anonymous), pay them $20k/yr and work for our country's cybersecurity.

Frankly, I don't put much faith in this. The Government has a long history of not paying computer experts enough. Unless there has been a major change I don't see anyone who is actually good working for the government. The reality is the real players out there who actually know what they are doing can make far more money privately. This is why they have not and will never catch any of the real players behind groups like Anon/Lulzsec. they are only going to catch some of the idiots who are dumb enough to go around waving their epeen. The ones who are actually pulling the strings in the background are just laughing their asses off.

I would disagree...the government generally has a history of over paying civilians for performing the same jobs that Soldiers are capable of performing. i.e. Blackwater, KBR, etc...

As someone that works in Government DOD IT I can tell you that there are some real power struggles between various organizations that fall under the DOD umbrella for a lot of different reasons, from civilians wanting job security to Soldiers just trying to leverage their IT resources.

As far as the talent available, I would disagree as well. I do agree there is more money to be made privately, but not everyone is monetarily driven and there are benefits beyond immediate cash compensation, not to mention training often carries a certain time obligation. Much of the government is oath driven and some people still believe their word means something. Unspoken benefits for me are the sandbox I work in. I have access to servers, switches, routers, FAS's, firewalls, encryption devices, workstations, schools, software, other certified experts, not to mention tons of other IT equipment...I worked my way up to this though through the Signal Corp.

Just FYI I am a Signal Systems Support Tech in the Army (254A) or a (255A) Information Service Tech and have been trained as a 251A as well, so I might be a bit biased when someone says no one good works for the government, if I wasn't good would I be at this site;)

Something that caught a ton of civilians and military with their pants down not to long ago was the enforcment of DOD 8570 requirements which mandates that personnel carry industry standard certifications, the list of certifications is pretty extensive, the military has been doing this, I would be real interested to see the number of industry certified personnel versus the civilian sector, you might be surprised how many of those certifications fall under the DOD umbrella.

Back