The Navy’s New Robo-Copter On Video

is it a robot or is it just unmanned/remote flying? I feel like robotic infers automation.

Fake just like the moon landing. Obviously, there is another pilot disguised as the cockpit seat.

That can drop a lot of ammo and goodies to the troops on the ground in a pinch.

Fake just like the moon landing. Obviously, there is another pilot disguised as the cockpit seat.

17046.jpg

whoa!
not only is it autonomous, check out the crazy criss-crossed main rotors design.
No need for a more vulnerable tail rotor.
if the AI is still not up to snuff,... maybe the rest of the innovations may be useful to harden future US helo design against ground fire (and rpgs).

Damn. With that music I expected Tom Cruze to pop up out of one of those boxes, gun in hand.

whoa!
not only is it autonomous, check out the crazy criss-crossed main rotors design.
if the AI is still not up to snuff,... maybe the rest of the innovations may be useful to harden future US helo design against ground fire (and rpgs).

I saw that, I wonder how much inefficiency it creates though, they look like they're at quite an angle.

There's barely enough jobs to go around this day and age, do we really need to take one more away? :)

All kidding aside though, this could be fantastic for dropping goods in a hot zone. Clearly helicopters are sitting ducks, and anything that saves a life is good by me...

... However I can't help but think this is going to be used to take away jobs from the many so the few who are already richer can get only richer...

Makes night missions easier and safer. Also perfect for hot drops, just not pickups. Good job!

One step closer to our mobile unmanned army. Can't really hurt morale if no one dies.

... However I can't help but think this is going to be used to take away jobs from the many so the few who are already richer can get only richer...
The poor are poor by choice.
It's not up to "the industry" to create jobs just to keep people employed. It's up to the people to be innovative and create value for themselves. Too many people are sheep that want everything (including a job) handed to them without to put in any effort themselves.

It's not up to "the industry" to create jobs just to keep people employed. It's up to the people to be innovative and create value for themselves. Too many people are sheep that want everything (including a job) handed to them without to put in any effort themselves.

Do you know why welfare exists? It's not to help the needy, it's because giving money to people that will spend it improves the economy. What's important is how quickly money exchanges hands and the wealthy simply don't spend enough of their money to keep an economy running efficiently. So ultimately, it's in the best interest of everyone for those 'sheep' to be given jobs. If all the 'poor' suddenly were out of work, you would be as well, regardless of how 'innovative' you are.

/libertarian, btw

Regardless, since when is being a helicopter pilot an unskilled poor person job? Its usually considered quite a respectable career.

I like how a lot of these government/private contractor test videos are always the shittiest possibly quality on YouTube.

I like how a lot of these government/private contractor test videos are always the shittiest possibly quality on YouTube.
Yup, a 720p Creative Vado would work great for $50. Instead, it appears they plugged in an iPhone camera into a potato with some electrodes and called it a day.

I saw that, I wonder how much inefficiency it creates though, they look like they're at quite an angle.

It's more efficient by a great margin. The cant on the mains isn't enough to cause any real inefficiency. It is worlds better than a bird with a tail rotor. It doesn't have to waste 1/3rd of its engine power to keep it pointed in the right direction.;) It's slightly slower than a single rotor. For this application, I don't think it matters that much.

Certain bad ass Russian attack helicopters are made with a similar principal. Kamov BlackSharks and WereWolfs are made with a coaxial rotor design.

The interference dual design is not new by any stroke of the imagination. Commercial heavy lift helos have been made that way for years. One could say it looks almost exactly like the commercial designs other than the paint and the fact that no pilot needs to be present.

It's a start but not that "bad ass". As soon as it can deliver cargo via VERTREP (Vertical Replenishment) on a ship at sea underway with sea state of 7, then it's a bad ass! Otherwise, its nothing but another big man's toy!

It's more efficient by a great margin. The cant on the mains isn't enough to cause any real inefficiency. It is worlds better than a bird with a tail rotor. It doesn't have to waste 1/3rd of its engine power to keep it pointed in the right direction.;) It's slightly slower than a single rotor. For this application, I don't think it matters that much.

Certain bad ass Russian attack helicopters are made with a similar principal. Kamov BlackSharks and WereWolfs are made with a coaxial rotor design.

The interference dual design is not new by any stroke of the imagination. Commercial heavy lift helos have been made that way for years. One could say it looks almost exactly like the commercial designs other than the paint and the fact that no pilot needs to be present.

I've seen the heavy lifters before, but their drive shafts were spaced much further apart and the resulting inclination of the rotors (if any, the vast majority are non-interference) was far less pronounced. As for the black shark, there's no interference, it's a classic co-axial design like any $20 RC heli at the toy store.

The first thought that popped into my head after seeing the pilot walk away and the helicopter take of was, "Dude, you forgot to set the parking brake!" :p

Why in the hell does it have a cockpit? that is just a waste of weight and space that just makes it bigger and harder to fly.

Drones don't have any of that for a reason the pilot is not on board he is sitting at a desk with 6 large monitors a flight stick and a keybord flying the thing.

Oh and a big ass xbox live head set, I kid you not it looks and feels like a fucking xbox live head set on steroids.

Why in the hell does it have a cockpit? that is just a waste of weight and space that just makes it bigger and harder to fly.

Drones don't have any of that for a reason the pilot is not on board he is sitting at a desk with 6 large monitors a flight stick and a keybord flying the thing.

Oh and a big ass xbox live head set, I kid you not it looks and feels like a fucking xbox live head set on steroids.

It's not a purpose-built drone, just a retrofitted light (single seat) heli. Probably more proof of concept than slated for widespread deployment.

When we going to get cool robots? Like optimus?

If he was already here, how would you know? Besides, Optimus comes with a bit of baggage called Decepticons. Do you really want Laserbeak snacking on your eyeballs?

whoa!

I was also thinking about the rotor design more than the AI.

is it a robot or is it just unmanned/remote flying? I feel like robotic infers automation.

Automation is being used, even though an operator is directing the helo from the ground, A large part of flying a helo involves feedback from your senses just to keep the inherently unstable machine from crashing. lot of automation tech involved to keep this craft airborne while the pilot directs it from the ground.

while Robots ala Terminator are the Hollywood definition of robotics, in the real world the term covers any machine assisted or remotely operated machine or process.

"Do you know why welfare exists? It's not to help the needy, it's because giving money to people that will spend it improves the economy. What's important is how quickly money exchanges hands and the wealthy simply don't spend enough of their money to keep an economy running efficiently. So ultimately, it's in the best interest of everyone for those 'sheep' to be given jobs. If all the 'poor' suddenly were out of work, you would be as well, regardless of how 'innovative' you are.

/libertarian, btw"

Wow. not really the place to debate this, but I am not going to let two such whackjob comments go unchallenged...

Implying that Poor people are lazy because the have to work their ass off to survive is the most extreme form of Tea-baggery bullshit I have ever heard.

Implying that big gov. and "the man" like to keep people poor so it can pay them welfare to stimulate the economy so the rich stay rich, would make a hella Hollywood script, you need to sell that! oh, and don't stand to close to the microwave, I think its cooking your brain inside that tinfoil hat....

"Do you know why welfare exists? It's not to help the needy, it's because giving money to people that will spend it improves the economy. What's important is how quickly money exchanges hands and the wealthy simply don't spend enough of their money to keep an economy running efficiently. So ultimately, it's in the best interest of everyone for those 'sheep' to be given jobs. If all the 'poor' suddenly were out of work, you would be as well, regardless of how 'innovative' you are.

/libertarian, btw"

My Apologies, I misread your post, while I think the first part does not reflect the true intent of the welfare system, in general, your take on this issue is similar to my own,

Again, I spoke in haste, and I apologize.

Back