SanDisk Launches Class 6 64 GB MicroSD Card

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
SanDisk has just raised the bar for microSD memory cards, in fact, they doubled the standard by being first to bring a 64GB microSD to market. This is one of those technologies where you build it first and the industry follows suit finding uses for the added storage. If you build it, they will come. :D

Samsung only started approaching the 32 GB denomination earlier this summer, so odds are SanDisk’s 64 GB chip will be the only game in town for at least a little while

How long before the fake "64gb" 4gb models come to market/ebay/amazon? WIll be an intresting race!

It's still worrying buying memory cards...even from shops :( They should make them purple and holographic or something!

Just think of how much storage that is onl such an imressively small piece of plastic, yet SSDs are monstrously huge in comparison.

While it may seem impressive, the article failed to mention the major issue.... it's a MicroSDXC card - and I'm not sure how many phones can even support them.

Much like we had the issue several years ago with the 4GB microSDHC cards not working in a lot of devices at the time, these cards will only work in a handful of current devices at best. I figured the article would mention this, so as not to mislead people into thinking they can pop this card into their current device.

The year 1995.....

Computer Nerd 1: in 15 years your operating system, all programs, all documents and several games will fit on a storage device the size of a postage stamp that will have higher bandwidth then todays harddrives and still be considered slow.

Computer Nerd 2: Shut up, thats not possible. Harddrives are having a hard enough time getting smaller then 5 1/4".

SD cards don't have controllers in them either.

Performance...thanks for playing.

And honestly, SSD's smaller form factor is completely a non-issue for me. I'd much rather have a "huge" 3.5" drive form factor if it meant larger capacity, larger (and more stable) NAND cell, cheaper SSDs. I have to get drive adapters to put them in my system anyway. It's not like I'm saving space.

TL:DR; I have the physical space. I might as well use it.

Back