AMD Showcases World’s Fastest CPU

HardOCP News

[H] News
A longtime favorite of performance enthusiasts and overclockers around the world, AMD today announced it has achieved the Guinness World Record for the "Highest Frequency of a Computer Processor," by overclocking the upcoming 8-core AMD FX desktop processor.

"The record-breaking processor speed that resides in the AMD FX CPU clearly demonstrates performance gains for the new AMD 'Bulldozer' multi-core architecture, which will provide x86 computing power for this CPU and future AMD Accelerated Processing Units," said Chris Cloran, corporate vice president and general manager, Client Group at AMD. "Along with world-record frequencies, the AMD FX processor will enable an unrivaled enthusiast PC experience for the money - extreme multi-display gaming, mega-tasking and HD content creation."

Make sure you watch our AMD FX Overclocking Preview here to see the AMD FX 8150 cranked all the way up to 8GHz on LN2.

Last edited:
For the record, it went to 8ghz on LN2 and 5.xxxx on Phase.

Considering my 2500k hits 5ghz easily, we'd better hope the IPC of BD helps the chip along.

Quit being a tease AMD and just show us the goods. Why do I get the feeling that this could be the tranny of processors...looks good until you take it home and unwrap it. ;)

Yay it clocks decently, probably right in the range of SB which is good.

Umm... I'm still holding judgement until I see actual performance.

This is not all that interesting without seeing what someone here or else where can really do with it and post the #'s and data. Otherwise, 5GHz on a SB is fine with me until it can be shown!

Cool, my SB is 5ghz on air. Color me, unimpressed.

I think the point is, SB crashes into a wall at ~6ghz, and can not go higher, even with Liquid helium cooling.

If BD is faster then SB, I don't know, I'm waiting on actual reviews/benchmarks instead of this "leaked and obviously photoshopped*" crap.

That said, I do love watching crazy, wacky insane oc rigs, and those all kinda fit the bill ;)

I kind of hope BD is at least on par as a performance/$ standpoint, because there really is a niche for consumers who want "some" gaming ability (beyond what a SB can really do), but don't need a full card. I also see an APU type chip as the "future" of computing myself.

**I can tell by seeing some of the pixels and seeing quite a few chops in my time!!!! ;)

Where's the freaking benchmarks for this bulldozer already!?

Thats what I would like to know too. If it was more powerful than SB (in any kind of benchmark) for the same price, why haven't they said by now. That kind of thing is usually good for PR...

They should get the world record for highest clock, not fastest CPU. If someone beats the clock speed by 1mhz with a single-core Pentium 4, does that mean they now have the worlds fastest processor?

I hate seeing stuff like this because I think maybe AMD finally got the performance per mhz crown back but this just means that it OC's great with extreme cooling but if they needed extreme cooling for 5ghz these days, thats not good at all. They probably OC the same as the current AMD offerings on air so maybe 4ghz max on air while still possibly being slower per mhz than Intel's offerings.

I claim the first:

"but can it play Crysis?" now?

(yes, I am totally unaware of AMD cpu's current capabilities)

So this is what has taken AMD so long....'lets make 100k of them, and try them all to see how high we can get one'

At least sell us the ones you have already tried AMD!

That's cool but, as others have said, "what does she do when you get her home"?

I hope AMD makes a comback.

That would be good for all of us.:D

Kyle: "Me and my buddy Ryan from PCPer even make a cameo!"

kyleryan.jpg

They should get the world record for highest clock, not fastest CPU. If someone beats the clock speed by 1mhz with a single-core Pentium 4, does that mean they now have the worlds fastest processor?

I hate seeing stuff like this because I think maybe AMD finally got the performance per mhz crown back but this just means that it OC's great with extreme cooling but if they needed extreme cooling for 5ghz these days, thats not good at all. They probably OC the same as the current AMD offerings on air so maybe 4ghz max on air while still possibly being slower per mhz than Intel's offerings.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you did not watch the video, right? Because in the video, they achieved 4.8 Ghz on a prebuilt water cooler and said that a high end air cooler would achieve the same results as well.

Why is everyone overly impressed... the celeron hit 8.3GHz... A CELERON - LGA 775 - Introduced in 2006.

It was all a marketing gimmick. Only 2 cores and 1 thread each core were used...

Shit would have blown up if it was on full blast.

1980971.png

Why is everyone overly impressed... the celeron hit 8.3GHz... A CELERON - LGA 775 - Introduced in 2006.

It was all a marketing gimmick. Only 2 cores and 1 thread each core were used...

Shit would have blown up if it was on full blast.

1980971.png

LOL...

If it can't be done by the average user on air or water than it's useless!

I am inclined to agree. While I love to see this kind of stuff, the majority of enthusiasts do NOT use LN2. We use water or air. Who cares if SB hits the wall around 6 GHz when you need LN2 to achieve it?

What most of us are interested in is the fastest OC we can get with water or air that is stable enough to bench and run games. SB so far is taking the cake. I REALLY hope that Bulldozer delivers so we get some competition for Intel and keep prices in line.

Would be nice to see AMD back in the game.

But this is nothing more than a PR stunt to promote the new CPU as this news is going to make headlines in many tech sites and it draws everyone attention to the upcoming CPU.

The real news will be when the reviews are released

But not before a motherboard swap for most of ya. ;)

Not trying to flamebait; I really want AMD to release a good chip. But come on - SB was released, and then an issue was found with the Cougar Point chipset, which was fixed, motherboards reissued, and what, 6 months later AMD still can't even bring their chip to market, much less even release basic performance numbers. Instead we get a secretive blurb about server chips getting released and a BS overclocking demo that tells us absolutely nothing without corresponding performance metrics.

Like everyone else without performance numbers hitting high clock rates means nothing but epeen marketing.

SB is a great chip mine runs at 4.5G no problem. I tried further, too hot IMO.

But I still don't get all the people bitching here. For months we have had all these forum geniuses claiming there was a clockspeed issue, now that we see that there is not and we still get to hear people complain. I'm sure after a revision these chips will be clocking just as high as SB chips on air. Will the performance be the same? No, may be after a die shrink BD will be close to SB, but by then Ivy Bridge will be on the market. I'm sure after intel watches this video the SB Extreeme editions will be made sure to clock higher than 8GHZ.

In the end I still want to commend AMD, two weeks agao I thought even with NO2 there was no way and hell we would see a BD running 8GHZ. This means it will all come down to price, will the black series undercut the K series enough in price?

SB is a great chip mine runs at 4.5G no problem. I tried further, too hot IMO.

But I still don't get all the people bitching here. For months we have had all these forum geniuses claiming there was a clockspeed issue, now that we see that there is not and we still get to hear people complain. I'm sure after a revision these chips will be clocking just as high as SB chips on air. Will the performance be the same? No, may be after a die shrink BD will be close to SB, but by then Ivy Bridge will be on the market. I'm sure after intel watches this video the SB Extreeme editions will be made sure to clock higher than 8GHZ.

In the end I still want to commend AMD, two weeks agao I thought even with NO2 there was no way and hell we would see a BD running 8GHZ. This means it will all come down to price, will the black series undercut the K series enough in price?

It's a can't win proposition. AMD indirectly addresses the clock speed "issues" with something like this, and people still bitch. A competitive AMD is good for all of us, period. Benchmarks will be released when they are. If AMD's price to performance ratio is good enough it will force Intel to lower prices to take some of the wind out of AMD's sails. Everyone benefits. Why are people that dense about this?

Back