AMD Names New CEO

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD has named Rory Read, the former President and Chief Operating Officer of Lenovo, as its new CEO.

AMD announced that its Board of Directors has appointed Rory P. Read, 49, President and Chief Executive Officer of AMD, effective today. Mr. Read has also been appointed to the Company’s board of directors. Read joins AMD from Lenovo Group, Ltd., where he was most recently President and Chief Operating Officer responsible for leading day-to-day global operations while overseeing the development and implementation of the company’s growth strategy.

Just in time for Bulldozer...

Well, I have no clue if this is a good or a bad thing, these days, I guess it just doesn't matter cause CEO's are gonna get paid no matter how they do.

Hoorah, another management level personnel as CEO instead of an engineer.

:-P

He's been around the block awhile though, looks like. Here's his short bio from the Lenovo site:

from bio said:
Rory READ
President and Chief Operating Officer

Rory Read is president and chief operating officer of Lenovo Group Limited. Mr. Read is responsible for driving growth, execution, profitability and performance across a global $16 billion enterprise encompasing 160+ countries.

Mr. Read has a proven track record for leading substantial business turnarounds and driving gains in share and profitability. Under his leadership in 2007, he led the Lenovo America’s group to a $140M improvement in profit and 14% revenue growth in one year. Before joining Lenovo, Mr. Read had a successful 23-year career at IBM, where he held numerous key executive positions. Most recently he was managing partner for the Global Industrial Sector of Business Consulting Services. Mr. Read also served as executive of Global Business Transformation and Information Technology for IBM’s $45 billion Global Services business. He was vice president, IBM eBusiness Transformation, IBM.com, where he led a business team that produced more than $1 billion in company-wide savings and $21 billion in sales. Prior to that, Mr. Read worked in IBM’s Asia Pacific region as general manager, Business Innovation Services for Asia Pacific. Mr. Read graduated Magna Cum Laude with a bachelor’s degree in Information Systems from Hartwick College.

Hoorah, another management level personnel as CEO instead of an engineer.

:-P

He's been around the block awhile though, looks like. Here's his short bio from the Lenovo site:

Your CEO SHOULD be management. If you want Engineering expertise at the topmost levels, that is what a CIO is for.

Having an Engineer who knows everything about technology but nothing about business can doom a company. Rare is the person who knows both.

Must be "Change Your CEO" week, I didn't see a news brief on the Onion about this.
Still waiting for AT&T to name name new CEO... (not holding my breath)

Your CEO SHOULD be management. If you want Engineering expertise at the topmost levels, that is what a CIO is for.

Having an Engineer who knows everything about technology but nothing about business can doom a company. Rare is the person who knows both.

addendum: ...and knows how to move their way into a large company's leadership, and gain acceptance of the board.

I do agree, but AMD hasn't been picking the best CEOs for some time now since the debut of the K6-2 and the Athlons. They need someone that'll light the fire under some asses and not just keep putting out announcements and whitepapers.

23854.strip.gif

That was Washington Mutual right there. They used to always hire senior level management who wouldn't even be commited enough to relocate their families, and so would "commute" coast to coast - literally. We had people whose offices were in California but wouldn't move from the East Coast, even Quebec. And they would always be surprised when they were gone in 6 months....

I remember at the company I worked we had a management re-org nearly every 6 months. It got really stupid.

I remember sitting down for a meet and greet with my new Director and I just looked him in the eye and the first thing I said was -

"Ok so how much effort should I invest in you, in order for you to get to know me and develop a valid working relationship or are you just going to move on in a few months time?"

He was broadsided by that.

He also moved on three months later.

This not a good move for AMD at all, this guy is just another sinking ship CEO jumping ship to a more stable company due to how he messed up the current boat hes running. A good profitable CEO does not shift companies, This guys track record is not really to good. When he's helmed company, the margins always went down trended for his terms. Especially since we all well know laptop sales are in the tank for vendors right now, and he cant keep lenovo alive enough for them to keep him around, he doesn't have skill to re-work a company when its in downturn economy, today those are the types of CEO's companies need. That can keep things rolling in times like this. This guy is not one of those people to do such a feat, his track record for those transactions is piss poor.

Back