Facebook Plans to Expand New Headquarters

HardOCP News

[H] News
Well that was quick. Didn't they just buy that building and they are already expanding?

The first Facebook employees are just getting settled at the company's new Menlo Park, California headquarters, but the online social network is already talking about expanding. The San Jose Mercury News reported Monday that Facebook has filed plans to build a second campus across the street from the complex it acquired from Sun Microsystems.

Bubbles have to get really big so they can spectacularly burst.

Yup.

Facebook will become stagnant and irrelevant when something new comes out (not Google+). They need to innovate and make Facebook evolve instead of remaining a simple social app. People will move on, as usual. They are really betting the farm on this, though. They are going to buy tons of shit and when it blows, there will be a lot of new, cheap, buildings in the area...

Yup.

Facebook will become stagnant and irrelevant when something new comes out (not Google+). They need to innovate and make Facebook evolve instead of remaining a simple social app. People will move on, as usual. They are really betting the farm on this, though. They are going to buy tons of shit and when it blows, there will be a lot of new, cheap, buildings in the area...

The only reason it's still alive is due to all the useless games, well Dragon Age is the best one of the lot, but the rest are mind numbingly tedious.

The only reason it's still alive is due to all the useless games, well Dragon Age is the best one of the lot, but the rest are mind numbingly tedious.

The only reason it's still alive is because the average computer users find Facebook sufficient to their needs and it's gotten so large and popular that they can count on their friends and relatives being on it. Going to Google+ would be akin to changing from WoW to DDO. Sure, WoW gets a beating from most of you guys on [H], but that doesn't stop it from being the most popular MMORPG and other MMORPGs from being empty in comparison whether we like it or not. Nobody wants to be without their friends and relatives no matter how much more efficient a site or game runs.

Nobody wants to be without their friends and relatives no matter how much more efficient a site or game runs.

:confused: Pretty sure I know a whole load of people who can't stand their families and don't want their pain in the ass relatives seeing that they went to a fetish bar.

:confused: Pretty sure I know a whole load of people who can't stand their families and don't want their pain in the ass relatives seeing that they went to a fetish bar.

There are other age groups than teenagers and 20 year olds.

Bubbles have to get really big so they can spectacularly burst.

This. I can't wait for the headline in about five years "Facebook headquarters up for auction". "Facebook cuts 80% of their workforce". Don't think so? Just ask myspace.

This. I can't wait for the headline in about five years "Facebook headquarters up for auction". "Facebook cuts 80% of their workforce". Don't think so? Just ask myspace.

Not a good comparison I think. Think of Facebook as AOL and MySpace as CompuServe WOW (yes, I stole this example from this thread). For all of the love and hate we have for AOL, they're still around. CompuServe WOW, not so much.

I heard the city of palo alto was trying to keep them there... this is great that they're expanding.. i think?

And I am pretty sure that you can set up groups in Facebook so that only certain people can see a particular post. Or they could just not invite family members as friends (who knew?).

Who cares? Facebook is completely full of little girls, and your nosey grandparents.

Google+ is where the techy people in the know are migrating to.... lots of convo and intelligent folk there, where 99.9999% of the posts are actually readable English sentences.

Did you notice everyone is copying google+ now? Facebook copied the 5 profile thumbnail thing from google+... and twitter copied the expanding comments popup box from google+

Then you have myspace, late in the game as usual... they have (on the FRONT PAGE OF MYSPACE) a login for myspace accounts -- or you can login to myspace WITH YOUR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT! I shit you not. A facebook login portal is on the front page of myspace login.

sigh... I am so glad the hidden advertising for facebook is finally starting to ween off "Don't forget to join us on facebook!" on 9 outta 10 TV shows, including the local news stations... sheesh, that was getting annoying.

Who cares? Facebook is completely full of little girls, and your nosey grandparents.

Google+ is where the techy people in the know are migrating to.... lots of convo and intelligent folk there, where 99.9999% of the posts are actually readable English sentences.

Did you notice everyone is copying google+ now? Facebook copied the 5 profile thumbnail thing from google+... and twitter copied the expanding comments popup box from google+

Then you have myspace, late in the game as usual... they have (on the FRONT PAGE OF MYSPACE) a login for myspace accounts -- or you can login to myspace WITH YOUR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT! I shit you not. A facebook login portal is on the front page of myspace login.

sigh... I am so glad the hidden advertising for facebook is finally starting to ween off "Don't forget to join us on facebook!" on 9 outta 10 TV shows, including the local news stations... sheesh, that was getting annoying.

I'm guessing you're not on Google+ then?

There are other age groups than teenagers and 20 year olds.

Yes. Parents and grandparents. Do most people like socializing with their parents 24/7? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't invite your mum and dad to come with you when you go everywhere.

And I am pretty sure that you can set up groups in Facebook so that only certain people can see a particular post. Or they could just not invite family members as friends (who knew?).

Why bother with that when you can just steer clear? If I went to a bar, and my boss started coming there, I probably wouldn't go there anymore, even if I got a booth.

I'm guessing you're not on Google+ then?

No, I just randomly know everything about it.... that's why Kyle even uses it.

Sounds like you are the typical facebook user I run into when I make a facebook-smashing comment like I did... the ones who are butthurt google+ is growing faster than facebook wishes it could have (and without the gay hidden advertising like facebook uses with their daddies harvard investments)

back to your wall, kiddy ;)

You like seeing people losing their job?:confused:

I never understood all this hate for a company just because you don't like their product. No one is forced to use Facebook.

Me for one I'm glad to see them expand as they would be providing more jobs, while people are happy to use their product, I don't see anything wrong.

Sounds like you are the typical facebook user I run into when I make a facebook-smashing comment like I did... the ones who are butthurt google+ is growing faster than facebook wishes it could have (and without the gay hidden advertising like facebook uses with their daddies harvard investments)

Hate to tell you but, Kyle also uses FB ;).

G+ really isnt growing all that much right now like it was. Most people just went back to FB. Well maybe now that G+ has added games in it will draw people back. I notice the games are also like how it is on FB, when you win at something you have the option of spamming it to friends, just like how it is on FB.

As for the advertising, well just give it time. This is Google and they are all about making money off of ads ;). It's just beta still and once they figure out how they want to implement them we will see the ads and then your favorite, the companies spamming the shit out of the "join us at G+" line.

Every damn social site has started out the same and always end up the same, G+ will be no different.

You keep on thinking that way buddy. The entire [H] staff is on FB too, just so you know. I'm also keeping tab on NewEgg, Antec, Corsair, AMD and a whole boatload of other tech companies and sales on FB too.

But if you want to keep thinking that we're all emo and hippies and teenage girls and all that jazz, that's your prerogative.

Back