Five Freeware Utilities for Windows

HardOCP News

[H] News
C|Net has posted a handy list of freeware utilities for Windows today that is worth checking out. Do you have a favorite freeware app/utility that isn't on the list? Post it here!

3.) SoftMaker Office 2008 Two things I especially like about this Microsoft Office alternative: it's fast (unlike some suites I could name), and it used to cost money. See, once SoftMaker moved on to Office 2010, it started giving away the 2008 version free of charge. How awesome is that! Makes me think seriously about paying for the upgrade.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a great free program. There's a paid version, too. But the free works great.

SoftMaker Office 2008...lol

I'll stick with Open Office...never had a problem with it.

TeamViewer is an AWESOME support tool for taking care of friends and family.

Microsoft's old Tweak UI used to have the mouse auto-focus option. Not sure why Microsoft never included it in their OS.

Love wizmouse, been using it for awhile now. Although any time I'm at someone elses PC I'm constantly trying to use the mouse wheel in non-focused windows.

Also, even with the latest version of it, it randomly stops working. When that happens you have to kill the process and restart it. Annoying, but it happens rarely.

"over 400 comments" and only 5 apps? meh.

my contribution: www.piriform.com home of ccleaner (awesome crap cleaner), defraggler (defragging for spinning drives), speccy (system information tool, portable version great for gathering specs on any machine), and recurva (which i dont really use but its for file recovery)

and +1 on revo's uninstaller portable

My mouse already scrolls in whatever window I'm hovering over so I guess it's not needed for all of us.

if you find yourself cleaning up trojans/rootkits for users my toolkit might be handy:
a. clean cache files of all users on pc (useful for 10+ multiuser machines in corporate environments)
b. repair nic batch file
c. some portable utilities

download from article:
http://jroe.me/2010/12/roes-minipack-v6-is-out/

i can't post the +++++++ version.

includes portable versions of hijackthis, hijackfree, ccleaner and some Rkill stuff to kill exe blockers. also hosts xpert to repair hosts files.

if you don't feel comfortable with the download i highly recommend downloading the portable versions of the apps.

please note the RKILL utilities are often detected as a virus. please read:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rkill

err i meant can't post the link since its "bit 0 ly" shorturls are not supported on the forums.

greenshot = awesome screenshot util for documenting
paint.net = poor man's adobe
winmerge = compare files for differences, great for debug/programmers
winrar/7zip = fun

microsoft security essentials = best trojan/rootkit free a/v software per 2011 and 2010 case studies. use to be a paint to obtain, now its easy by googling MSE

multimon = winxp multi-screen taskbar for winxp, free on majorgeeks

#1 Fences is stupid and nobody really needs it. It just means you have too many programs installed that does the same thing.

#2 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is the only good thing the article mentions.

#3 Why not Open Office? Open Office is at least multi platform. Never heard of softmaker office.

#4 There's a number of applications that do this. VNC for example, and there is an Android app for it.

#5 Wizmouse? Really? Not that Microsoft shouldn't implement such a feature, but for now I'll deal with having to left click to scroll.

wizmouse would of been a good saver at my last job working in healthcare apps from the 90's where mouse scrolling was disabled.

but yeah, malwarebytes is the good one. mwb + super antispyware + mse + my minipack is usually all i need... followed by sfc /scannow and some other repair commands.

also upgrading ie and deleting all the ie shortcuts! lol

wizmouse would of been a good saver at my last job working in healthcare apps from the 90's where mouse scrolling was disabled.

but yeah, malwarebytes is the good one. mwb + super antispyware + mse + my minipack is usually all i need... followed by sfc /scannow and some other repair commands.

also upgrading ie and deleting all the ie shortcuts! lol

You'll need rkill as well to halt the malware that prevents your antimalware program from running.

Paint.Net blows in comparison to Gimp on Windows. You want a Photoshop replacement go Gimp!

unhide.exe is a tool you'll use along with MBAM and all the others. Shit today hiding everything gets annoying. Unhide fixes that (so does an attrib command, but why bother with 1 click access)

how long does gimp take to install? i havnt tried it since the earlier versions i should give it another go.
azhar rkill is good for that for sure. hijackfree is really nice too and process hacker, i use all three.

one trick if you troubleshoot remotely (helpdesk), if you quickly logon the profile before explorer finishes loading you can often load hijackfree first, kill the virus/trojan and delete while it loads all in one swoop preventing it from blocking your other apps. it can delete the file and related reg keys which is nice. it will most likely reinstall upon reboot if you didnt run mwb or sas.

and another +1 to GIMP.

I must say Notepadd++ is very nifty to have around for a LOT of uses.

Ninite

Select your favorite freeware apps (browsers, editors, codecs, etc.), click a button, everything is bundled into one installable package. Ideal if you want to install the same programs on a bunch of PCs.

Back