YouTube, Music Publishers Settle Copyright Beef

HardOCP News

[H] News
Awww, isn't this so cute! YouTube and the National Music Publishers Association have kissed and made up. It is amazing what can be accomplished when you share revenue.

"As a result of this resolution," the publishers wrote in a statement, "music publishers will have the opportunity to enter into a license agreement with YouTube and receive royalties from YouTube for musical works in videos posted on the site."

Just about four years and bunches of $ to lawyers to "kiss and make up".. "sharing revenue"? Probably more like "coerce into sharing revenue"

Guess that means we can take this guy's advice and "keep on rockin' on YouTube"

Neil+Young.jpg

Ummm I thought youtube was a money pit. It did not make any revenue so to share revenue from something not making money is a win for google? 50% of 0 is still just 0.

Ummm I thought youtube was a money pit. It did not make any revenue so to share revenue from something not making money is a win for google? 50% of 0 is still just 0.

not for a while now. I believe it has become pretty profitable

Revenue != profit. Also, I believe through advertisements it was anticipated by analysts that 2010 would be the first year they would turn a profit (don't know if that actually happened or not)

Revenue though is close to a billion or more per year.

Why can't youtube just pay the artist directly instead of going through these greedy asshole companies that siphon off money and sit on it.

They don't give money to who they are supposed to automatically. Instead you have to ask, wait a while and then they give you are percentage (after they take theirs). It would be like you going to work on payday and your boss telling you that the check was already collected by this company. So you track them down and they tell you to join some union and fill in some forms, which you have no choice but to do. Then they give you your paycheck a few months later but take 30% for their "service".

Or alternatively not give anyone any money for godamned free advertizing. I don't pay coke every time I see one of their stupid adverts.

Maybe back in the days where you didn't have to wait for a commercial before being rick rolled.

Revenue != profit. Also, I believe through advertisements it was anticipated by analysts that 2010 would be the first year they would turn a profit (don't know if that actually happened or not)

Revenue though is close to a billion or more per year.

Maybe back in the days where you didn't have to wait for a commercial before being rick rolled.

just another point you tube was still profitable for Google even when it wasn't turning a profit for a several reasons, market presence and brand name high on the list. As well as what the reason at the time was, to prevent someone else from having it.

Back