Bulldozer to be Packaged with Liquid-Cooling Kits?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Anticipating the debut of the long awaited Bulldozer series of processors? Well according to X-bit Labs, there is a good possibility that AMD may add a bit of a bonus to the new version. To really grab the spotlight, Bulldozer could be packaged with a liquid cooling system included.

Such a move would entice overclockers to look at AMD’s latest and greatest, since liquid cooling would give them an automatic incentive to start goosing the Bulldozers to higher performance

Hope this doesn't mean it's too hot. And wouldn't this increase the price of the actual processor? You'd think if it didn't, the cost of the watercooling would cancel out or even completley mitigate every dollar of profit they'd get. I mean, they skimp on the stock HS/F to begin with to cut corners. There is no way that any increased customers as a result of adding WCing would offset the lost profit from including the watercooling without raising the price. So, I think it's safe to say this either 1) wont happen, 2) will result in a cost increase, 3) will only be available on the extremely high-margin CPUs competing with the EE, 4) will be a custom-engineered kit by AMD that doesn't cost a lot to make, or maybe a mix of some of 2/3/4

Not sure this would be a good idea. I could easily see people who think they are "l33t" and think it be no problem setting up liquid cooling and then they don't set it up correctly, it leaks, and they blame AMD and not themselves.

Liquid cooling could mean something like the Corsair H series. I have an H70 and it was easier to install than a regular HSF.

Not sure this would be a good idea. I could easily see people who think they are "l33t" and think it be no problem setting up liquid cooling and then they don't set it up correctly, it leaks, and they blame AMD and not themselves.

im sure it is a closed loop. they arent send out parts for people to build a custom loop with their cpus. that would be a nightmare for them.

Did people blame AMD when they crunched their TBirds and XPs?
I don't remember them doing so.

Anyway I love seeing stuff like this on the front page.
++ Major

Why not just spend the money on a higher end CPU?

Does this mean the warranty covers overclocking?

If this is true, I have a feeling it is going to be more of a limited promotional sort of thing. Including a WC kit capable of performing as well as your typical $40-50 heat sink would almost certainly cost that much or more.
I would be more impressed it they just sold their retail boxed units with a decent performing heat sink that was relatively quiet, and just continued to sell OEM bare like always.

IMO, this is probably only for the "black edition" version that's clocked higher than what their standard HSF is designed for.

It doesn't make sense for the mid range and budget segment, as the cooler itself will be too expensive to fit into those segment's price range.

I agree with Hornet, AMD has in the past given way better HSFs with their higher end units, I remember getting my first FX and receiving one of the first coolers with heatpipe technology! Now they might be giving you a closed loop? thats pretty bad ass.

A stock watercooler makes me think of the G5. Do the top frequency bins have overheat issues running on their previous stock cooler?

IMO, this is probably only for the "black edition" version that's clocked higher than what their standard HSF is designed for.

It doesn't make sense for the mid range and budget segment, as the cooler itself will be too expensive to fit into those segment's price range.

All of the FX series are black editions. And bundling a better performing cooling solution simply makes sense for a high end product.

There are several levels of enthusiast. Some have ridiculous amounts of money and time and will be happy buying an OEM chip with no extras and building a high end cooling solution around it. Then there are those of us who can afford a decent performing cpu but don't have the time and or skill to dedicate to setting up a water cooled rig.

Providing a closed loop, easy to obtain, and you know it's gonna work because AMD bundled it, system is great. Once the reviews are out and if it isn't louder than my current HSF (Scythe Mugen 2) I'll buy it.

They must really be desperate if they think they need to include watercooling kits for their CPUs to sell.

Not a bad idea as long as its a good product.

I was gonna upgrade to a i7 but then factoring the cost of a new cooler ($50-80) changed my mind.

Agreed with Budzman im working on a new build myself and looking at the $300 price tag on 8 core bd made me think theres no way it's going to perform well enough to beat out the value of a $179 dollar 2500k from micro center. But if I can save the $70 dollars I was going to spend on a high end cooler because amd puts one in the box that makes me think I should at least wait for some bd benches.

Did people blame AMD when they crunched their TBirds and XPs?
I don't remember them doing so.

Anyway I love seeing stuff like this on the front page.
++ Major
I know people who did. It was incredibly stupid and irresponsible of AMD to not have the pads on there like the later chips. They were asking for trouble.

I know people who did. It was incredibly stupid and irresponsible of AMD to not have the pads on there like the later chips. They were asking for trouble.

Pads? Are you talking about heat spreaders?

oh and AMD should done a better job of placing a WARNING on there, I constantly had to ask people to feel around the edges of their CPU and if it felt crunched or jagged to find out if they chipped the crap out of it.

I'm guessing this is an attempt by AMD to get enthusiasts and overclockers behind the chip. When the Athlon first came out and kicked Intel's ass, the enthusiast community rallied behind it and that helped propel it to success. Either:

a) the high end chips generate a LOT of heat; or
b) the chips overclock very well and AMD wants people to know it

If it is b, then they could have a winner on their hands. I can't wait for benchmarks of readily-available chips. I'd like to make a viable AMD gaming rig again, haven't had one in 6 years. Competition = good, etc.

Pads? Are you talking about heat spreaders?

No, he means pads.

Gather 'round and let me tell you a tale of a time before heat spreaders.
S_AMD-AX1800DMT3C%20(green).jpg

Note, the 4 pads.

Not to mention that every Socket A t-bird I have ever seen had the pads... your friends probably removed the pads.

to AMD: Please make versions without a heatsink available like Intel, because whatever is included will be unneeded for a whole lot of people.

Would make the boxes more expensive to ship...It would have to be a "very good cooler" to sway people.

No, he means pads.

Note, the 4 pads.

Those pads didn't do a damn thing to protect the core.

I had little copper inserts that fit in the space and provided some level of protection.

to AMD: Please make versions without a heatsink available like Intel, because whatever is included will be unneeded for a whole lot of people.

They will more than likely still have OEM units with just the CPU, but the warranty is much shorter than retail.

No, he means pads.

Note, the 4 pads.

Now, this is the story all about how
My chip got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how I crunched an Athlon at 1500 on air.

No, he means pads.

Note, the 4 pads.

Sheeet I remember these very well, hell I got one in a drawer with 3 bent pins. Forgot about the pads, thanks for the lesson but like some others they didn't work worth a damn.

Back