The 15 Worst-Dressed Men Of Silicon Valley

HardOCP News

[H] News
GQ has a list of the 15 worst-dressed men of silicon valley, complete with pictures. Craig Newmark, Howard Stringer, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and Steve Jobs all make the list.

Nerds run the world. But with their notoriously horrid fashion choices, some dotcom entrepreneurs could use a style IQ boost. While their tech innovations deserve kudos, their outfits are one giant leap back for mankind. Here, we present the 15 worst offenders.

Can't believe Richard Stallman's greasy XXXL t-shirts and sweatpant ensembles didn't at least get an honorable mention.

I guess these people are too busy innovating to give a shit about what GQ thinks.

IMHO, the good folks at GQ are on crack.

They keep complaining about these peoples jeans being too big. Their jeans look just fine.

We aren't all hipsters looking to wear ball squeezers.

I - for one - wouldn't be caught dead in tight, form fitting jeans.

skinny-jeans.jpg
00.jpg

Peter Chou's jeans look just fine.

worst-dressed-peter-chou.jpg

In fact, this is how jeans are SUPPOSED to fit :p

More than a couple of those guys are not based out of silicon valley, and who cares about

~*~*< FAASHHIIIONNN >~*~

when you make millions of dollars a year?

"In other news, Microsoft, Apple and Facebook all purchase 33% each of GQ and all of the editors and 'journalists' have been fired."

Uh those tight pants would have me passing out in about 5 minutes. Seriously, those are not comfortable looking at all.

Peter Chou is a pimp. GQ is just filling space.

I randomly bought some jeans at the store the other day. I'm pretty malible as long as pants are with in an inch or so of my size I dont care.

UNFORTUNATELY when I got home and tried to put them on theyre apparently part of this new pants type called SKINNY jeans which are meant to be worn as a diving suit. Thanks for ruining jeans emo hipster fucks. Go die now and please leave the rest of the man pants for those of us not wanting our dicks to be deprived of oxygen.

I wish the skinny jeans thing would go away. I run around 15 miles a week and as a result I have large calves and thighs. I can wear a 34 waist but I have to buy 36 to wear them comfortably. For the hell of it I purchased a pair of skinny jeans and ended up tearing a hole in the thigh going up a flight of stairs. F That.

Dad jeans? What the hell are dad jeans?

Apparently that's the term pretentious GQ fashion fucks now use for real jeans. You know the way Jeans are supposed to look.

Essentially anything that's not some overly tight hipster piece of shit.

Jeans with pleats, high waist, puffy midsections and are super out of date (like acid washed or very baggy) Basically the equivalent of Mom Jeans. I'm not down with skinny jeans, but they do have to have some type of shape.

Zarathustra[H];1037591150 said:
Apparently that's the term pretentious GQ fashion fucks now use for real jeans. You know the way Jeans are supposed to look.

Essentially anything that's not some overly tight hipster piece of shit.

Seems like they just hate jeans all around. The majority of people on the list had the article either saying their jeans needed to be much much much smaller (like that Chou photo somebody posted earlier in this thread, the article says that needs to be 5 sizes smaller, that'd be EXTREMELY tight fitting jeans), or calling them 'dad jeans'.

I saw some jeans the other day that were $80, had holes ripped in them already, and looked like somebody had used them while painting and got random splotches and paint running down their leg. That 'look, I'm fashionable!' kind of pants is what GQ apparently thinks these people should be wearing.

And don't get me started on the new trend of skinny ties.

Skinny ties died a long time ago for a reason. They look absolutely retarded.
mens-skinny-tie1.jpg

Now I'm not saying we all have to wear those ridiculous fat 70's ties either.
--30000--5486_product_602090793_thumb_large.jpg

There is something called moderation.
suit-shirt-and-tie-1-DHD.jpg

A 3-3.5" wide tie (as measured at widest point) is about perfect. Any wider or narrower starts looking retarded.

Also, crazy patters or wild colors also look ridiculous. A subtle repeated patern accross the tie, (not in neon green or pink) Here's a pattern that's damned near perfect:
40047_original_original.jpg

Also, the new dress shirt collars look ridiculous too. IMHO, the only collar to wear with a suit is a classic straight point collar:
collar-standard%20(1).png

If you are going without a suit, jacket and are just wearing a dress shirt, the buttoned down point collar is probably more appropriate or your collar flows out and makes you look like a douche. (Never wear a buttoned down collar with a jacket!)
collar-button-down%20(1).png

Spread Collars? Just don't. They ALWAYS look retarded on EVERYONE.
collar-wide-spread%20(1).png

That 'look, I'm fashionable!' kind of pants is what GQ apparently thinks these people should be wearing.

That's ridiculous. I actually don't own a single pair of jeans right now, but if I did, it sure as hell wouldn't be pre-dirtied, pre-ripped, pre-worn. it would be bold fresh and brand new looking.

It also wouldn't be form fitting. (and certainly not bell bottomed) Only straight legs for me.

Lot's of nerd rage in this thread lol.

Zarathustra[H];1037591053 said:
IMHO, the good folks at GQ are on crack.

They keep complaining about these peoples jeans being too big. Their jeans look just fine.

Peter Chou's jeans look just fine.

worst-dressed-peter-chou.jpg

In fact, this is how jeans are SUPPOSED to fit :p

Sorry but those jeans look sloppy... Definitely too loose for his frame. It's not about wearing them super-tight. It's about wearing something form fitting while still looking professional and being comfortable.

Sorry but those jeans look sloppy... Definitely too loose for his frame. It's not about wearing them super-tight.

They look like they fit perfectly to me. Any tighter than that and they'd look uncomfortable.

I'm not trying to sell baggy jeans here.

103641205_f26cda80ed.jpg

But jeans should be comfortable and straight legged. Anything form fitting is just straight out. At least on a man.

It's about wearing something form fitting while still looking professional and being comfortable.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to look professional while wearing jeans. :rolleyes:

Zarathustra[H];1037591251 said:
That's ridiculous. I actually don't own a single pair of jeans right now, but if I did, it sure as hell wouldn't be pre-dirtied, pre-ripped, pre-worn. it would be bold fresh and brand new looking.

It also wouldn't be form fitting. (and certainly not bell bottomed) Only straight legs for me.

I own several pairs of jeans, none of them skinny, most of them falling apart. I would never buy any jeans that were already ripped etc

Zarathustra[H];1037591242 said:
Spread Collars? Just don't. They ALWAYS look retarded on EVERYONE.

Spread collars are fine. They just call for a bigger tie knot than a point collar. Four in hand is just fine with a point collar, but spread collars need a windsor or some other wide knot.

So real men wear "dad jeans" aka real jeans, emo hipster dipshits wear jeans that can't breathe that their dicks start shriveling off, and President Obama wears Mom jeans. Got it.

Not only are their opinions on Fashion....questionable, they didn't even do the minimum of research - Gates hasn't been CEO of Microsoft in 3 years.

Not only are their opinions on Fashion....questionable, they didn't even do the minimum of research - Gates hasn't been CEO of Microsoft in 3 years.

Probably somehow thinks the Chairman of the Board = CEO.

I guess the GF is right when she says I have no taste in clothes or style... cuz I saw nothing wrong with half those outfits :/

honestly do we really need to care about how they look in intricate detail? I understand if one looked like a clown or came to work on one of Borat's swimming outfit (the disturbing one yes), but, really these guys?

jeans that the breadwinner, head of the household, guy who gets shit done wears. as opposed to the whiny teenage kid that takes everything for granted and spends his time reading GQ.

i like to look fashionable but it's stupid to bash other people who don't care about it.

Lot's of nerd rage in this thread lol.

Sorry but those jeans look sloppy... Definitely too loose for his frame. It's not about wearing them super-tight. It's about wearing something form fitting while still looking professional and being comfortable.

Sorry, but the only time wearing form fitting clothing is acceptable for men, is when it's sports apparel and that only applies to some sports. Jeans are not supposed to be "form fitting", they are supposed to allow freedom of movement so you can actually do something while wearing pants made of a fabric that won't fall apart while crawling around underneath a car, split while climbing a ladder, etc.

I guess "dad jeans" must mean jeans for people who get crap done like someone else already mentioned, instead of jeans for whiny emo kids who can barely walk without strangling themselves from the waist down. As for looking sloppy or professional, I doubt the guy in that picture who is probably a multi-millionaire gives a crap. He probably wears jeans and a blazer unless he has a board meeting to attend.

I hereby change the term "dad jeans" to "jeans for people who make money" and skinny jeans are now only for whiny children who don't do anything to earn a living(not that you could in jeans that tight).

If I was one of them, I'd have a tailor make a suit out of $100 bills, and stitched together with gold wire just to tell everyone who's calling them "worst dressed" to fuck off

jeans that the breadwinner, head of the household, guy who gets shit done wears. as opposed to the whiny teenage kid that takes everything for granted and spends his time reading GQ.

i like to look fashionable but it's stupid to bash other people who don't care about it.
QFTMFT

Dress appropriately for your line of work and otherwise, wear what's comfortable to you, fuck what anyone else thinks, unless it's the wife and kids -- always take thier opinion into serious consideration.

My wife always says I have no fashion. It must be true cause none of those looked bad to me! I could be one of those dudes!. WITHOUT THE MONEY!!!!!!!!

QFTMFT

Dress appropriately for your line of work and otherwise, wear what's comfortable to you, fuck what anyone else thinks, unless it's the wife and kids -- always take thier opinion into serious consideration.

Why would you give a rats ass what the kids think?

They have two functions until they grow up:
  • Obey (as regards, homework, tooth brushing, hygiene, chores, etc.)
  • Do Well in School

If something comes out of their mouths and is not related to the above, it is safe to ignore. :p

I'm not really a fashion monster, but I do agree that lots of jeans look like shit because they're too baggy. Jeans that fit are not necessarily skinny jeans, either.

The classic jean fit is Levi 501s/505s. They're not skinny, but they're not loose or baggy either. Jeans shouldn't fit like tights, but they shouldn't fit like sweatpants, either.

Fashion trends come and go, but one thing remains constant: fit is king. Clothes that fit well will always look good, no matter who makes them or what the latest trends are.

Back