Google Closes Down Google Labs

HardOCP News

[H] News
More wood behind fewer arrows. What kind of saying is that?

Last week we explained that we’re prioritizing our product efforts. As part of that process, we’ve decided to wind down Google Labs. While we’ve learned a huge amount by launching very early prototypes in Labs, we believe that greater focus is crucial if we’re to make the most of the extraordinary opportunities ahead.

Does this mean they might actually start turning out some finished products instead of neat ideas that are very poorly implemented?

If they close their labs than where will they do their research?

what?

I noticed that searching for "5k in miles" or "2+2" no longer gives answers, is this related to the closure of Google Labs?

A shame. Lots of nice ideas came from Google Labs. Gmail Notifier, Google Earth, Picasa, to name a few came from there.

At least they're leaving Maps Labs open. There's a ton of fun and informative overlays for Google Maps. Gmail Labs is staying open too.

As for the "more wood behind fewer arrows" comment, it's not a phrase per se, but chopped up from this quote to make an article title:

…throwing out lots of mediocre products isn’t the passport to success. [...] it pays to put more of your wood behind one arrow, or just a few arrows; the more you make, the less distinctive each one is.

I noticed that searching for "5k in miles" or "2+2" no longer gives answers, is this related to the closure of Google Labs?
It's coming up for me just fine.

I wonder what they will do with Google App Inventor. I hope it stays open. It looks like some more mature products will stay and be integrated into other products while a lot of them will go away.

Google Labs is what made Google cool.

But Google hasn't been cool since they went public anyway.

We need something new and exciting. Google ain't it any more. Just another privacy-invading company that used to shape the future for people, and has transformed into just another company shaping the future for themselves.

Bah, humbug.

Since it's dead now, what's a good replacement for Picassa? It's the closest thing to Apple's iPhoto I've seen, and I love iPhoto. Just dont' have a Mac :)

Since it's dead now, what's a good replacement for Picassa? It's the closest thing to Apple's iPhoto I've seen, and I love iPhoto. Just dont' have a Mac :)

My sister in law loves ShutterFly for my nephew's baby pictures. I don't use the site nor software myself but I look at their photos in it and it works pretty well.

Hey Google, I got all the wood ya need right hea, bada bing! Now go make me a sandwich. Google Sandwich...yeah I like that, make it happen.

They are killing Picassa development? I see nothing that says that.

The fewer arrows you make, the less likely you are to defeat the Norman invasion.

When I read the article, I can't help but interpreting it as "Google+ is going to make us more money because it's social networking, so we're going to focus on that instead of doing anything new or innovative"

Damn, I just ate one before reading the fine print; I apparently opted-in to Google GI Tract View. I thought those croutons tasted a bit silicon-y.

You guys think the privacy issues are bad with FaceBook, just wait until Google conquers the world with Google+

I think I'll pass.

Five thousand whats in miles?

Are you sure you're at their search page, rather than some third party painted screendoor to their page?

Both of those searches bring up the proper calculator reply here, even the first vague question. ;)

Five thousand whats in miles?

Are you sure you're at their search page, rather than some third party painted screendoor to their page?

Both of those searches bring up the proper calculator reply here, even the first vague question. ;)
kilometers, brah.

It works for me too.

I see the answer in the "instant pop-up box" but not on the main page after pressing enter (FF5). Curiously, it's working fine in IE, huh something's up. Probably FF5.

Back