Computer Learns To Read A Game Manual

HardOCP News

[H] News
MIT has created a computer that learned to do something most of us are incapable of doing...RTFM. :D

Researchers at MIT decided to teach their own supercomputer a different, yet equally important life lesson — how to play video games. And they didn't do it the easy way, by simply programming a series of if/then commands. No, instead they taught it do something most human players refuse to: read an instruction manual.

Ya know, I was thinking... Cool, but I bet it was something stupid like SMB...

Civilization II? Holy crap.

Ridiculous! I don't believe for a second that researchers at MIT know how to read themselves, let alone teach a computer to do so!

And thus WOPR was born....

Shall we play a game?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecPeSmF_ikc"]YouTube - ‪Shall we play a game?‬‏[/ame]

Based on the way most manuals are written these days, I'd be surprised if the computer could even learn how to start the game in the first place. :p

Skynet days are upon us!

That's all I think whenever I read a news article about robots learning. Eventually they'll learn something we don't want them to (like how to destroy all of us).

Think where this might lead! Skynet could start a war to protect the world's citizens against their governments! Of course we might be stuck with being governed by machines but, at least they'd be immune to special interests and corporate influence.

Think where this might lead! Skynet could start a war to protect the world's citizens against their governments! Of course we might be stuck with being governed by machines but, at least they'd be immune to special interests and corporate influence.

What happens when they learn how "normal" politicians act though!

Back