Hotmail Now Has Instant email, 10x Faster Than Before

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The team behind Hotmail have revolutionized their speedy e-mail system, trimming content on their pages to speed up download time and eliminated a network round trip on login for further speed gains. Their goal was to make Hotmail feel instant and they knew by speeding up downloads that it would get close to their goal. But that's not the only thing they had to do, even with today's fast internet, the network is the bottleneck and Hotmail needed to keep their customers from experiencing that latency.

No kidding, "speedy email system". Sometimes takes like 10min to send a damn email! And the stupid attachment cap. Glad I switched to GMail.

And yet Mozilla Thunderbird because I have ever stored on my hard drive is instantaneous when accessing and going through e-mails.

Even though the e-mail address I'm using is an AOL account. As long as it supports IMAP, I don't really care.

Google Mail still tops Hotmail any day of the week, IMO.
I used Hotmail before and after Microsoft bought hotmail out. I went to gmail as soon as it came out because gmail had better spam protection. If I remember correctly at one point in early MS Hotmail they wanted to charge me for doing a better job of the spam protection and charging for extra space. Gmail was always one step ahead of hotmail. Free spam protection and basically unlimited email storage.
Whats your reason.

I used Hotmail before and after Microsoft bought hotmail out. I went to gmail as soon as it came out because gmail had better spam protection. If I remember correctly at one point in early MS Hotmail they wanted to charge me for doing a better job of the spam protection and charging for extra space. Gmail was always one step ahead of hotmail. Free spam protection and basically unlimited email storage.
Whats your reason.

Pretty much. I used hotmail before microsoft acquired it. After that I switched to Yahoo/My ISP using Eudora as a frontend. Once gmail came along, there was no looking back. Mostly access it through Outlook but just the same.

I did try to check my old hotmail accounts from time to time only to find out they got deleted after X inactivity.

I like Hotmail, the spam stuff mentioned above, I don't know, my experience is different. On my gmail account I get anywhere from 20-30 spams per day. Granted, they all land in the spam box, but they are something I sperg about and when I see the spam box with 300 spams after not checking it for a week I clean it out. On Hotmail, I *see* maybe two junk mails a day. It's common to go a day or two without any at all.

That said, I am planning to migrate my personal domain from Hotmail to Gmail late this summer, because Hotmail has no IMAP and I want IMAP. /sigh.

People still use Hotmail????

How did I know there was going to be at least one of these posts here?

"People still use xxxxxx???" Jesus people, it's played out already.

Back on topic...
I use both Gmail and Hotmail and I think both are fine, but neither is perfect. I actually get more spam in Gmail even though my Hotmail account is the one I use as my "I don't care if I get spam there" email address, and use it more often.

Yeah, I have no complaints with hotmail. It's been getting better and better over time. And all unrecognized emails to to the junk (white list mode), and it's semi-amusing checking the junk anyways. Newegg sales eblasts automatically go to the junk folder. Along with other promos that I might find interesting. So spam certainly hasn't bothered me.

No kidding, "speedy email system". Sometimes takes like 10min to send a damn email! And the stupid attachment cap. Glad I switched to GMail.

when is the last time you used hotmail? 98 with a dialup connection?

i've never had an issue with my emails taking that long to send. and you can attach 200 50MB files. Between attachments and text the email can only be 10GB. i know that is hard to stay under.

hotmail turned lame when they removed pop mail back in 1999-2000 from the free accounts.

i use hotmail, yahoo, and gmail, and gmail features are still the best.
hotmail is like having a car with all the options stripped out, and it still doesn't use https while reading emails. how fail is that....

Would be nice, if they incorporate IMAP instead of stupid POP3 for mobile phones... STILL waiting for that.

Would be nice, if they incorporate IMAP instead of stupid POP3 for mobile phones... STILL waiting for that.

I thought there was a paid service ($10 a year or something cheap ... although not free as in beer cheap) that allowed Hotmail users to use IMAP rather than POP3 on mobile devices?

I've used Hotmail since '98 and been pleased with it's SPAM filtering options. I definitely get far less spam in hotmail than I do in gmail. I never understood the draw to gmail.

And I paid for whatever service Hotmail offered once in order to use on my Blackberry Pearl (this was ~5 or 6 years ago?), and haven't had to pay since. I still receive the benefits of it, so the cost was minimal at best.

Hotmail (and MSN) now works with ActiveSync, which works at least as well as IMAP for me with it's push functionality. I use it on my Android phone.

My problem with Hotmail is that some things I subscribe to never make it to either my inbox or my junk folder. Newegg sales promotional stuff, which is actually a marketing email I want to get.

Back