One pic says it all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobit

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2010/May 2011
evga.jpg

.. coming to CES 2010!:cool:

Is this just another server/workstation class board, or is it going to be marketed to the enthusiast/gamer crowd? If the previous, there's already quite a selection of dual 1366 class boards, one that I'm looking even has 18 DDR3 slots.

God I hope Vmware gets to supporting more than 8 cores...

Hmmm, dual Octacores watercooled.....

It's made by EVGA. Take a wild guess.

Well, you know eVGA at one time was just a video card company.. then they started making motherboards.... who know, maybe they're wanting to try their luck in the workstation market with those $1500 workstation graphics cards and dual processor motherboards now?

I'm glad someone is tackling the enthusiast market with a new Xeon-class motherboard. This has got be better than Intel's Skulltrail ever was.

should be a nice board as long as they keep the NF200 chipset off it.. otherwise its going to be heat galore with that thing..

There's more news here:
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...ak-of-dual-1366-motherboard-for-ces-2010.aspx

"This is their first DP [Dual processor] board and we look forward to seeing this board at CES. From what we can gather this board will have 12 DIMM slots and Two Processor sockets and a Digital PWM similar to their popular overclocking Classified board. It will also have an Intel Tylersburg 5520 and two NF200's which may indicate the possibility for 4 full width PCI-E 2.0 X16 graphics card slots."

eww 2 NF200's.. bleh screw that.. just going to be another skulltrail furnace.. didnt the P6T6 supercomputer motherboard already prove that you dont need 2 NF200 chips.. ffs they are a complete waste and create way to much friggin heat..

eww 2 NF200's.. bleh screw that.. just going to be another skulltrail furnace.. didnt the P6T6 supercomputer motherboard already prove that you dont need 2 NF200 chips.. ffs they are a complete waste and create way to much friggin heat..

Yeah, a friend has one and he complains how hot it can get. He literally has one of those vortex desktop fans blowing into it.

I always wonder why go that route with NF200s? Aren't there better chipsets out there?

There's more news here:
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...ak-of-dual-1366-motherboard-for-ces-2010.aspx

"This is their first DP [Dual processor] board and we look forward to seeing this board at CES. From what we can gather this board will have 12 DIMM slots and Two Processor sockets and a Digital PWM similar to their popular overclocking Classified board. It will also have an Intel Tylersburg 5520 and two NF200's which may indicate the possibility for 4 full width PCI-E 2.0 X16 graphics card slots."

Do Nvidia drivers allow SLI on a 5520 without the NF200? The board I'm looking at has dual 5520's for a total of 72 PCIe lanes, (unfortunately they don't split it up the way I'd like, but 4x PCIe x16 would be doable).

Looks intriguing, but how long till that can be purchased ? I have to start planning for an armored car job ;)

This could be promising if they overclock well. If I can get 2 xeons and the mobo for $1k or less it will be mine!

I wish they would have left the n200 chips off. All they do is eat power.

However, this could be one heck of a powerhouse.

Looks intriguing, but how long till that can be purchased?
The board will be displayed at CES so I figure by spring time we should see it, that is if EVGA will be releasing it. Intel originally planned on a Skulltrail II, but the last I heard about it in the beginning of fall it was becoming more and more uncertain. The latest news concerning ST II described a dual Beckton enthusiast platform with a total of 32 cores (16 LC+16 HT).

I wish they would have left the n200 chips off. All they do is eat power..
Having a Skulltrail system myself, I wholeheartedly agree. I fabricated a semi-custom HSF utilizing a Thermalright HR-05 IFX for the north bridge between the CPUs. I wish I could find something better than the stock HSF for the SB/PCI-E bridge chips but it's nearly impossible especially with a full complement of video cards. At least Intel was thoughtful enough to include a fan. I'm certain EVGA's cooling solution will be superior whatever they come up with.

Last edited:
Ahhh . . CES. The one good thing about the cold month of January. :D

That board changes the game for me. If it can do dual 5500 series Xeon, overclock them, and support 16x PCI-E2, I might have to upgrade my desktop.

That board changes the game for me. If it can do dual 5500 series Xeon, overclock them, and support 16x PCI-E2, I might have to upgrade my desktop.
The same here. I am really hoping these can support the L55xx Xeons. We will find out in a couple days.

The same here. I am really hoping these can support the L55xx Xeons. We will find out in a couple days.

The X5650 is only 95w, heck the standard voltage 32nm quads are 80 watt chips.

The X5650 is only 95w, heck the standard voltage 32nm quads are 80 watt chips.
True, but I may be able to get my hands on two samples of L5520's. ;)

oh man, that is awesomesauce.. that is an EATX form factor.. typical server board. I don't know why you would need two PSUs though.

Edit: although, it also looks a bit like EVGA's XL-ATX (which I already have a case for).. but it looks a bit bigger as well at the same time.

Last edited:
its EVGA's XL-ATX which there are plenty of cases that will support this.

You dont need two PSUs if you have the right connectors :)

Well, I just compared the mounting holes in the pic to my XL-ATX motherboard tray and it is bigger in one dimension (front to back) than an XL-ATX.. so I guess this would be an E-XL-ATX.

its EVGA's XL-ATX which there are plenty of cases that will support this.
In one dimension it is but it is definitely wider front to back. It will fit in my XL-ATX motherboard tray though. Here's the 4-way pic which is XL-ATX for the comparison:

EVGA-X58-Classified-4-Way-SLI-1.jpg

Here are some new specifics from TechPowerUp:

The recently surfaced high-end dual socket LGA-1366 motherboard is pictured in full, without its cooling assembly. The picture reveals quite a bit about EVGA's new monstrosity. To begin with, the motherboard is neither ATX, nor EATX in the truest sense. Like the recently announced X58 Classified 4-way SLI which was based on the "XL-ATX" form-factor, this motherboard seems to be 13.58 inches (344.93 mm) long, and about as wide as EATX (330 mm, 13 inches), or maybe a little more.

Each LGA-1366 socket is wired to six DDR3 DIMM slots for triple-channel memory, and is powered by an 8-phase digital-PWM circuit. Each socket further has a 3-phase power circuit for its DIMM slots. The CPU VRM for each socket takes input from an 8-pin ATX, and what appears to be a 6-pin +12V (PCI-E?) connector. The motherboard further takes power from a 6-pin PCI-E power connector apart from the usual 24-pin ATX power connector. Some of these inputs may be redundant and needed only for additional electrical stability to support competitive overclocking.

At the heart of the board is what appears to be an Intel 5500 "Tylersburg" or Intel X58, paired with an Intel ICH10-class southbridge. All of its SATA 3 Gb/s ports are located next to it, while a Marvell-made SATA 6 Gb/s controller provides two additional ports. There are seven PCI-Express 2.0 x16 slots in all, driven by four x16 links over two NVIDIA nForce 200 bridge chips. The exact lane distribution is not known. There seem to be two gigabit Ethernet controllers, 8-channel audio, eSATA, USB 3.0, and EV-Bot support. More about the board may surface during the CES event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back