• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recent content by Zzyzxx

  1. Z

    The [H]ard Forum Storage Showoff Thread - Post your 10TB+ systems

    Initially this PC was used as a server hosted in a datacenter. The M14T enclosures were specced for easy access in case a drive needed to be replaced by datacenter personnel. The server has since been retired. My original WHS 2K3 box needed a refresh, so the following is the result. It’s...
  2. Z

    Project - Monster 1.0 - Initial Materials and Assembly

    * Project Monster * Greetings and salutations! Welcome to Project Monster. As is showcased in some of my previous work, I like going big. Anything worth doing is worth doing bigger. Why "Monster"? To be blunt, this thing is going to be massive. Not quite as large as some of the Mountain Mods...
  3. Z

    Matching Momentary/Latching Vandal Proof Switches

    Awesome - found them, thanks.
  4. Z

    Matching Momentary/Latching Vandal Proof Switches

    I'm currently in the process of assembling a new case - one of the features will be an additional "uber-mini case" on an umbilical that will house 2xDVD's/power/reset/and lighting on/off. I'm looking for matching vandal proof illuminated switches, although 2 need to be momentary, and 1 needs...
  5. Z

    Which Cable for M14T to Perc5i?

    As requested, the update. as far as compatability with Perc 5i's or any card that uses an SFF 8484 interface. I bought some of these, which are straight through SFF8484 to SFF8484 cables...
  6. Z

    Which Cable for M14T to Perc5i?

    I went ahead and bit the bullet, bought a pair of the enclosures. I'll update as to what cables are required, I have a few e-mails out to some cable specialists to review the hardware I'm using.
  7. Z

    Which Cable for M14T to Perc5i?

    I'm contemplating getting a pair of these... http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/mobilerack/CSE-M14.cfm ... and currently have a Perc 5i as the controller. I initially used a pair of lower priced enclosures, but apparently one of them has some power issues, causing drives to...
  8. Z

    Technet

    I ran into that problem yesterday almost immediately after installing Flash - I installed the Flash specific to IE as opposed to letting the adobe site choose, and no longer had the issue on technet.
  9. Z

    The 7 Year Itch

    Finally decided to work on the USB hub mount... Initially I was going to frame it with angled aluminum like the rest, but space limitations forced me to be a little more creative. This is the pair of hubs that will be used. I decided to go with a flat mount fabricated out of 2x1"...
  10. Z

    67TB in 4U for under $8000

    Who wants to sponsor me on duplicating what they got? I could fabricate that after building this... http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1402778
  11. Z

    The 7 Year Itch

    The cage has been fabricated, and the cage mount was fabricated this morning. I wanted some way that the entire cage could be removed if necessary. This is the finished cage with 1 drive installed. ... and the cage installed, hopefully you can get the idea of how it works. It's held in...
  12. Z

    The 7 Year Itch

    Actually Home Depot for the majority of the stock - If I have $50 into all of the aluminum I'd be surprised. I'll have to look into the steelyard though. BTW: 200 new bolts arrived yesterday - planning on fabbing the HD cage base mount this weekend, and start on the 13 (8 external, 5 usable...
  13. Z

    The 7 Year Itch

    Standing by for a new shipment of bolts - turns out I've already been through 100 8/32x3/8" bolts....
  14. Z

    The 7 Year Itch

    Everyone should get the idea by now how I created the 5.25" bay cage, I'm doing the same thing in miniature for the hard drive cage. This is a 6 drive cage that will be positioned sideways, saving space and increasing airflow over the total surface of the drives. I mocked this up with some...
  15. Z

    The 7 Year Itch

    Raw materials (not counting radiators/fans) about $100 at the start (aluminum, plexi, bolts, nuts, fan grills) maybe another $150 since then. Spent way more on tooling than anything else. As far as the name, there's a highway in nevada called the Zzyzx highway. I added another "x" so I'd...
Back
Top