• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recent content by valorfkee

  1. V

    New Networking

    When I installed a wireless card in a laptop, I think I recall the documentation mentioning that if the card goes into certain power save modes, the connection could drop. In the setup I configured the card to be "always on", and I have not had any problems no matter what the cpu does...
  2. V

    Windows 95 Networking?

    I had a couple old 95 machines that I thought I would add to my network, but TCP/IP was not among the protocols available in the OS for configuring a connection!* Having vowed sometime back to not waste one more dollar on Microsoft products, I just loaded up FreeBSD and never looked back...
  3. V

    Rackmount UPS twistlock question

    No, you will need to have a 30 amp twist-lock socket installed. I suppose if the ups' *actual* power requirements were low enough you could replace the line cord on the ups, but installing the proper outlet would be the "right thing" to do. Modifying the ups would probably void it's...
  4. V

    Really Strange Problem

    DNS servers are all over the place. I have a problem with my ISP and/or the modem they provide. Reverse dns lookups would fail causing various tasks to hang. I bypassed the router by stuffing the DNS server addresses directly into my machine configurations. I am using 216.97.160.5 & .5...
  5. V

    Website unavailable only to me

    Was it working, and now it isn't? Can you access your server by browsing to it's specific IP address? I have a similar situation semingly caused by a combination of my dsl provider not properly doing dns reverse lookups, and an apparent defect in the modem/router in resolving traffic...
  6. V

    FTP Server

    Not sure if you intend to also use the machine for general XP activity in addition to being a ftp server, but if setting up a server for ftp (ssh, mail, web or just about anything else under t he sun) you can load the FreeBSD Unix operating system which will let you do almost anything...
  7. V

    Wireless signal

    Been there, done that! In technical jargon you, are suffering from a condition called "broken antenna connector". The small threaded piece is a press-fit into the rectangular part that is soldered onto the wireless card itself. Look carefully at the back of the card and you should see a...
  8. V

    What do You use for a UPS for your network (Post a pic of your UPS)

    I have three servers backed up by an APC SU700NET ups, using an external 24volt 75ah lead-acid battery. Gives me about 10 hours operation. My associate across town at our other mirror site has a similar setup with a 125ah battery. Tom in Tulsa
  9. V

    Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal

    Read this again. (i) refers to intercepting or accessing (reading, listening to, etc) "a communication". "A communication" would be a message, for example. (i) is *not* referring to the access of the communications "system" itself in order that you may use it for your own purposes...
  10. V

    Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal

    Something to consider might be what I think is termed "implied no trespass". If the door to a private residence is unlocked and a stranger walks in, that person has committed an offense because unlocked or not, the "public" is not by default invited to enter a private dwelling. (In my state...
  11. V

    Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal

    It is true that the wi-fi rf spectrum space is for free public use. I would think that the major legal problem is not the unauthorized use of the rf pathway itself so much as the unauthorized use of the network at the end of that pathway. Seems that would be (or should be) a Federal rap...
  12. V

    How to boost WiFi reception - How to get free internet?

    Archaea likes analogies, so here a popular one suggested by a friend who is quite high up on the telecom food chain (with slight embellishment by me): Archaea, lets assume you have a girlfriend or wife who lives with you, and that she is also quite attractive. You have a contract with...
  13. V

    Annoying Norton popups

    Shut of Norton's auto update checking, or block the application with your firewall. I do this, only letting NAV out of the box for a little while every week or so. Tom in Tulsa
  14. V

    How to boost WiFi reception - How to get free internet?

    Interesting that theft could even begin to be considered a "moral dilemma"! There is plenty of case law as to who is entitled to do what with radio signals. The bottom line, using a connection that someone else is paying for, without their permission, is theft plain and simple. Here is...
  15. V

    How to boost WiFi reception - How to get free internet?

    Yep, if it is prohibited, I guess you are just out of luck.
Back
Top