The few people I know with Asus laptops over here love them. They make pretty good stuff.
How rough stuff gets treated out here besides environmental conditions also depends on what job you have, where you are, your bosses, etc. For example, a driver who sits around for days waiting to...
Keep in mind that if you do have to have your laptop repaired, you'll likely be limited to USPS with an APO, so you'll have to ship/receive that way. Can't ship batteries either, though that shouldn't be a problem with repairs. It does make getting a replacement laptop a pain though.
I'm currently deployed in 'Stan. Plenty dusty here with horrid environmental conditions. I brought some cheapie HP dm4 with me and have had a couple problems with it, including an Intel 510 SSD in it getting fried. I'd say that whatever you bring will have its lifespan seriously shortened...
Could do plastic laminate, aluminum, paint or a roll of urethane desk mat are all options including everything mentioned above. If you paint, four coats over primer will do it, that's what schools spec for wood doors. May also want to finish/protect the edges.
Yup I've brought up the issue about downtime and the cons of building something in addition to other downsides. Unfortunately I built a couple of pretty nice workstations and they were half the price of the machines they normally buy.
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Will host a "BIM Cloud" with 4-6 Virtual Machines for the architecture firm I work for. Users will be doing AutoCAD, Revit, Photoshop primarily. Clients will use old (or cheap) PCs to connect to this local server...
If you want a pics, PM me your email and I'll email you a pic.
I've got a few things I don't need, PM me with your best offer:
-iRAM 4GB 2x2GB DDR-800 ECC FB-DIMMs. $70 Shipped OBO.
-Micron 8GB 8x1GB DDR-800 ECC FB-DIMMs. $70 Shipped OBO.
Video Cards all gone, thanks. Anyone want cheap ram?
You're lucky the cats haven't taken a fancy to your chair. My previously nice Herman Miller Mirra Chair has a mesh bottom which now is now torn to shreds :( My wife demands we have cats, so I guess it means no more nice non-wood furniture!
I think OSHA has ergonomics standards, you could always ask for a chair and threaten to report a violation to OSHA if they don't do it... A chair, even a $1k task chair is ultimately much cheaper than employee downtime, lawsuits, disability, ect.