• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recent content by smartins

  1. S

    Boot software to get system information

    Hi there, I would like to know if anyone knows of a software that can be run at boot time (much like Ultimate Boot CD) but that get's the system information, like monitor make and model number. Something similar to Everest but that runs at boot time. Thanks!
  2. S

    Somewhat slow performance of Intel X25-M SSD on a ThinkPad T500

    Thanks for the reply. I know that the T500 should be able to achieve SATA 3.0 GB/s speeds (that's the only reason why I decided to upgrade from my trusty T61) but I still don't get why I can't get the full 220-240 MB/s but only 180 MB/s...
  3. S

    Somewhat slow performance of Intel X25-M SSD on a ThinkPad T500

    I've just received an 80GB Intel X25-M that I installed on a ThinkPad T500. I was expecting to see read speed performance similar to what I've seen on several reviews (~220-240 MB/s), but on my T500 it only seem to reach a maximum of 180 MB/s read speed. I've updated the X25-M firmware to the...
  4. S

    I'm missing 7 GB of ram: Installed Physical Memory 8 GB / Total Physical Memory 1 GB

    I just ordered a server from serverbeach that should have come with 2 GB but I see that this one comes with 8 GB. Unfortunately, I seem to be missing 7 GB of ram Installed Physical Memory: 8 GB Total Physical Memory: 1 GB Available Physical Memory: 601 MB Windows 2008 Server Web 32-bit...
  5. S

    WTB: Dell Powerconnect 2716

    I'm looking at Gigabit switches to upgrade the wired installation of my house and saw several recommendations for the Dell Powerconnect 2716. All over Europe it costs almost twice as much as in the US, but in the UK there's currently a £100 rebate which makes it a much better deal. So, I'm...
  6. S

    FS (EU): Supermicro CSE-M35T-1 Backplane (black) 5 HDD in 3x5.25" slots

    Brand new Supermicro CSE-M35T-1 Backplane (black) Bought it for a NAS project but then ended up going with a 4U Rack case with 16 hot-swap trays so I never used the supermicro backpane. I'll also include a Yate Loon 92mm fan in case you wish to replace the original with this one...
  7. S

    Are there any special considerations to take when connecting a switch to another?

    I'm gearing up to modify my current network configuration and I have a question regarding having 2 (or more) switches on the same network. Here's the setup I'm considering: Internet -> Firewall/Router (smoothwall perhaps) -> -> Gigabit switch -> 3 computers \ -> Gigabit switch -> xbox...
  8. S

    RAID 6 arcea or 3ware? and why?

    I went with a Areca 1261ML because they've been supporting RAID 6 for a long time now. I believe only now 3ware is adding support for RAID 6. Areca is also highly regarded around here so it's probably a safe bet.
  9. S

    RAID 5 stripe size set at 128KB. What's the recomended NTFS cluster size?

    Thanks for your answer and the link. This storage will be mainly for media files (tv shows, movies) for storage and streaming. A small part will be for music, photos and backups but I guess 90+% will be used by files between 350, 700 MB and even some 4.4 Gb. I currently have mine at 128 Kb...
  10. S

    RAID 5 stripe size set at 128KB. What's the recomended NTFS cluster size?

    Ok, I just finished initializing a 4 500Gb disk raid 5 array with a 128KB stripe size, as recommended by the controller (Areca 1261ML) vendor. Now it's time to create a volume in windows and I've used Windows Removable Storage to create a logical unit with the full size (1.5 TB for now, will...
  11. S

    Areca 1261ML CPU temperature at 70º (158F). Is this normal?

    Ok, I got a reply from Areca support. They said that 70C is perfectly fine. The controller has a onboard sensor which will sound an alarm if over 90C. I don't have any airflow atm trough the card so I guess once I have some the temperatures will decrease a bit. Oh, and under 60C is what...
  12. S

    Areca 1261ML CPU temperature at 70º (158F). Is this normal?

    The 1261ML actually uses the IOP341 processor. I touched it with my hand and it does seem very hot. I can't hold my finger there for over a second if much. I have contacted the vendor where I bought it from as well as Areca to see if these temperatures are within the normal range and I'll...
  13. S

    RAID array: One big partition or several smaller ones?

    I have a system drive and the array will be running separately just for file storage. This way I can easily move (I hope!) the array to a different machine if needed just by moving the controller and drives.
  14. S

    Areca 1261ML CPU temperature at 70º (158F). Is this normal?

    I've received the Areca 1261ML controller yesterday and installed it on an Asus A8N32-SLI. I've been playing with the control panel a bit and noticed that the CPU temperature is at 70º Celsius (158F) and the controller temperature is at 66º Celsius (151F). Anyone knows if these...
Back
Top