Recent content by palpatineli

  1. P

    Gaming build 1000-1200

    Thanks for the recommendations. I haven't had a dual hard drive rig for a long time so I still have the old mindset about those things:p I can accept UEFI but as I understand, current it only works with (K)ubuntu and RedHat(Fedora). Maybe I will go Debian experimental or Arch, maybe not. It's...
  2. P

    Gaming build 1000-1200

    I don't really know how powerful the GPU needs to be. I want max setting of Bioshock: infinity, large squad in Total War: Rome 2, and hopefully a moderate texture pack for the next gen Fallout. What is the problem with this particular computer case? This one is old and I would like to get rid...
  3. P

    Gaming build 1000-1200

    I am trying to build a new gaming rig that hopefully will last a while 1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming, and occasional programming (but I'll be careful and use noobuntu) 2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? $1000-1200, tax and shipping included (amazon is not...
  4. P

    Special graphic build, budget $800

    Thank you very much. Already ordered it. :)
  5. P

    Special graphic build, budget $800

    I think 1G VRAM should be enough, I don't really have any idea how fast that should be, it would not be a hard requirement but of course, the faster the better.;)
  6. P

    Special graphic build, budget $800

    just some opengl stuff with mesa and sdl, in c. more specifically, cycling through a huge number of color bit buffer objects.
  7. P

    Special graphic build, budget $800

    1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc for presenting graphics with a high temporal precision (for psychology research). setting runs on ubuntu, and requires opengl 3.0 support. The video card should support two monitors under x windows, one CRT through...
  8. P

    Please look at my building plan

    It's not yet arrived, so I can just post the final list for now: From newegg: OCZ Alchemy Series Elixir OALKBELXUS Black USB Wired Slim Keyboard - Retail Item #: N82E16823227001 $22.99 Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail Item #...
  9. P

    Please look at my building plan

    I bought half of the stuff from zipzoomfly to save the tax, and changed the LCD with a ASUS 244U. The final cost (including an OCZ keyboard) is 830USD but I can try a MIB of 30. Thank you all for the advice! I love this forum.
  10. P

    Please look at my building plan

    The visiontek video card is out of stock, and if I add xfx hd4870 the total will be 954USD. Any idea on how to cut the cost down to 800? The LCD monitor is included in the 800USD budget, so I guess the build needs some modification to fit into the budget.
  11. P

    Please look at my building plan

    Thank you for the advice. But my doubt is if Radeon is well supported in Ubuntu. Or the current community support is enough for common office work?
  12. P

    Please look at my building plan

    1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc I plan to have two os, ubuntu 9.10 and win 7. ubuntu for office work and light programming, and win 7 for gaming. So the video card should be nVidia to have better linux support. I hope the machine can fulfill the...
Back
Top