Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.
Only reason i'd like rack mount is because all my other equipment is rack mount. I never really chose rack mount in the first place, but I got a lot of my stuff for free, all being rack mount. So I'm choosing to stick to that form factor. My 2950 only runs FreeNas, and my IBM was running ESXi...
It doesn't have to be tower quiet, just quiet enough that my TV will be louder haha. My last IBM was louder than the A/C on full blast. Id like the unit to be rack mount, and have room for at least 8 drives, I'm just going to use it as a NAS, I'll just max out drives in the VM server for now...
In that case, would it just be better to get a 12 bay r510? I would like something commercially available, as to why I went with the 2950, so I don't have the time to really build something right now, and I prefer rackmount too if possible.
Thanks
Thanks for the reply, I currently use it to hold music, movies and files I share between computers in my home, my game plan is to make it remotely accessible down the line. How would something like a Powervault work? I may likely want room down the line to have space for VM's. And in external...
Hello,
I currently have a Dell 2950 with 6x1TB drives running FreeNAS, I've had it for a few years and am looking to go with a quieter setup, so I plan on migrating to a Dell r510. My question is should I opt for some form of server array and get a low end r510 or r610 since it won't hold...
Thanks for the advice, I just ordered a r610 to replace my IBM x366, I heard most of the r-line (R510,R610, and R710) were all a lot quieter than their predecessors. Will update when it arrives.
Hello Everyone,
First I want to say thanks for all the help, but some good and bad has come up for myself. I will no longer be going back to school, as a bad back injury prevents me from being medically cleared for my major. On a good note, now I have a lot of spare time to finally implement...
Dont really have the time to replace, I'm looking more to add in something at this point. The fortigate sounds good down the line, but I need this implemented within a week so I'll likely go the desktop openVPN route.
Hey Everyone, I think due to time constraints (Gone next Wednesday) and to simplify switching out equipment, I'll just add in an old desktop to run openVPN. Can I just hook it up to one of my existing switches?, since you say it only needs one NIC it shouldn't be hard for me to grab one. I am...
Hey Everyone, thanks for all the help so far. All my stuff is physical boxes, no virtuization. For this openVPN setup, could I just reuse a business-class desktop and throw an extra NIC? I am not sure if openVPN is a pass through appliance or just one sided. I have some old Fireboxes and a...
I have a 50/15 connection at home, I doubt the school cares about encrypted traffic as its an outdated state school. I have computers that run, but I'd prefer a hardware setup. I have a cheap netgear wireless router, but I also have a rack setup, and a rack mount or standalone piece of hardware...
Hello Everyone,
I'm off to college in a week and want to set up a VPN from my laptop at college to my home. I have a FreeNAS setup at home and multiple servers. To simplify things and still let me manage all my servers and access my NAS, I think a VPN is the best option, and I can avoid the...
Not [H]ard really, but heres my home setup:
Top to Bottom:
Furman power conditioner, connected to a APC 1500VA UPS (Not Pictured)
NTI Unimux USB VGA KVM
Adonis 250 running pfSense
Cisco Catalyst 3750G PoE-48
2x Cisco Catalyst 2970G-24T, not in use
Firebox x series, used to be...
Hey Everyone,
I currently have a IBM x366, which is ridiculously loud, and a Dell 2950 which is better, but still loud. I am looking to replace my x366 so I was wondering if anyone knows what rackmount servers stay relatively quiet, I would prefer to buy second hand IBM, Dell or HP.
I've...