Recent content by mikehunt114

  1. M

    Living on Borrowed Time, Need Help with Storage Options

    RPC 4224 seems to be at a very good price right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219038&cm_re=rpc_4224-_-11-219-038-_-Product. I believe I've read that they are now coming standard with newer backplanes and a 120mm fan bracket. I bought one about 3 years ago and...
  2. M

    Possibly going to build my own NAS, big Q

    Useful summary of benefits and drawbacks: http://www.snapraid.it/compare.html
  3. M

    Possibly going to build my own NAS, big Q

    Might be worth clarifying what transcoding is and when it is going to happen. I'll speak to Plex because that is what I'm most familiar with, but other media serving software usually exhibit similar behavior. Your client device (iPhone, iPad, smart TV, etc) will have a list of compatible...
  4. M

    Geek + free time + old hardware = ....

    Take that China.
  5. M

    SAS Expander question

    You can also check Chenbro for additional SAS expanders. I would have chosen the Chenbro CK23601 if I hadn't gotten an HP expander for a great price. Edit: They also have a kit for a JBOD that includes a power switch board and can be mounted kinda like a motherboard. Part number UEK23601.
  6. M

    HGST 4TB Deskstar 0S03359 experiences?

    Yeah I don't know either, but if it's able to be read, I'd assume it's correct. It also gets the correct number for my Seagates @ 5900rpm. My WDs don't show any rotational speed.
  7. M

    Cheap SAS HBA that is 4TB compatible?

    If I'm not mistaken Dell Percs can be flashed to a non-RAID mode (IT or IR) just like any other LSI SAS2008 based cards. You can read more about flashing in the thread I linked. Rebranded cards are usually found to be much cheaper than their LSI counterparts.
  8. M

    Cheap SAS HBA that is 4TB compatible?

    Get a rebranded LSI card like the IBM ServeRAID's or the Dell Perc's. Check here for any of the SAS2008-based or newer models.
  9. M

    HGST 4TB Deskstar 0S03359 experiences?

    The Coolspins are 5700rpm, so they're not 5400rpm either. It's possible they are not producing them anymore, I've seen the Jan 2013 manufacturing time frame before but nothing more recent. However, I see the prices of them continuing to drop and that leads me to believe they still are. These...
  10. M

    Norco 4224 Chassis - Any room for an SSD (not in 24 hotswap bays)

    I think the Norco 4224 (or XCase I think the other version is called) or SuperMicro SC846 are in order for that many HDDs. If you can pick up a used SuperMicro it would be close to the cost of the Norco and probably a slightly better unit, but there's really nothing wrong with the Norco either...
  11. M

    HGST 4TB Deskstar 0S03359 experiences?

    I believe all six of mine were manufactured in January 2013. Edit: I purchased them in August 2013.
  12. M

    Norco 4224 Chassis - Any room for an SSD (not in 24 hotswap bays)

    I have an SSD in the same location as above, just buy a bracket and drill a couple holes. It would be nice if the case came from the factory with mounting holes/hardware, but oh well. There are lots of places to mount extra 2.5" drive(s), or even 3.5" drive(s).
  13. M

    HGST 4TB Deskstar 0S03359 experiences?

    I've heard mostly good things about the Hitachis, so I recently bought 6. Didn't have any bad sectors on the 6 after a full format, so I put them into production. I haven't used them very long so my only personal experience so far is that they run hotter than a number of the other WD and...
  14. M

    Looking for new 2TB+ drives for Home Server RAID

    I like the WD Reds and Hitachi 5K3000/5K4000 drives. I would also look into the Toshibas mentioned as I believe they are rebranded Hitachi's.
Back
Top