• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recent content by Gaius_Verres

  1. G

    Belkin vs Linksys vs Linksys: your opinion?

    A few years back I used an extra PII system for smoothwall. (I liked it, but I didn't think the firewall was any better than a common router) pfSense is basically the same thing as smoothwall, right? Would my network be any more secure If I just built a cheap little PC with 2 NICS and a switch?
  2. G

    Belkin vs Linksys vs Linksys: your opinion?

    Cool, I'll try and find some FAQs on more advanced security stuff (a link to a really good guide would be helpful), I really need to know proper network configuration and all that. Thanks for the help everyone. Here are the specs of the two routers in question, they're about the same- but it...
  3. G

    Belkin vs Linksys vs Linksys: your opinion?

    The Belkin also cheap. 29.00 at office max yesterday. how much do I have to pay if I wanna "step up" in terms of firewall quality? They all have pretty much the same NAT setup, right? I've looked at various FAQs, but I'm still not sure I would gladly pay a hundred or so more bucks for a...
  4. G

    Belkin vs Linksys vs Linksys: your opinion?

    Let's say I don't feel like spending an extra 15 bucks for the N, hypothetically. The only difference between the Belkin F5D7234-4 and Linksys WRT54G2 is the latter having a 4 port switch, right?
  5. G

    Belkin vs Linksys vs Linksys: your opinion?

    Excellent. Thank you. I'll probably spring for the 160N. What sort of extra usability will a 16mb machine offer? What are the benefits of 3rd party firmware / extra memory? Just speed? functionality? security? Also, why is the security "about the same" on pretty much every budget...
  6. G

    Belkin vs Linksys vs Linksys: your opinion?

    Current Router: Belkin F5D7234-4 Old Router: Linksys BEFW11S4 Possible Replacements: WRT54G2 ($30), WRT160N ($45), or whatever you dudes recommend. I have the choice to replace my Belkin with either a WRT54G2 or WRT160N (both refurbs:cool:). Q1: Does the 54G2 offer any security...
  7. G

    Lol Case

    this have something do with caturday?
  8. G

    Audigy 2 ZS or on board audio?

    Thanks, this puts the last nails in the coffin for the onboard chip. I'm goin with the Audigy :cool:
  9. G

    Audigy 2 ZS or on board audio?

    Thanks for the input everyone. The Audigy 2 ZS is not CPU dependant so it gives me a boost in gaming IIRC. Does the Realtek use the CPU? My preconception about onboard audio is that it uses the CPU for audio processing, but it's been a few years since my last system build... I'm a little bit...
  10. G

    Audigy 2 ZS or on board audio?

    I'm building a new system with this board. It's got an 8 channel Realtek ALC889A chip. I have an Audigy 2 ZS OEM board (8 channel) that I could move into my new rig, but I don't know if there would be any advantage. Should I do it?? :confused: Also my speakers are just a cheap 5.1 set from a...
  11. G

    Time for a Birthday Build!

    You really don't need the wrist strap. They're pretty much useless. According to your uses it looks like a pretty sharp build. If you're doing more gaming I would suggest going with an HD4850. Since 800mhz RAM is pretty cheap right now you might want to consider going with 6 or even 8...
  12. G

    My personal video card history

    3dfx Voodoo3 2000 16mb PCI (you could broil a steak over this card, jesus. this was my first PC upgrade other than RAM. I was about 11 years old I think.) Creative 3D Blaster TNT2 Ultra 32mb AGP (had this thing FOREVER. Kickass performance for it's day) Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 (Kyro II)...
  13. G

    Finished Portal.:)

    Portal was an amazing experience. a little short and a maybe sort of easy but still an A+ game.
  14. G

    Linux firewall

    Smoothwall is simple and effective, I've been using it for many years.
  15. G

    New PC... Which OS should I go with?

    Thanks a bunch guys, I think I'm gonna take the dive and go with Vista. :) Anyone with a second opinion could still jump in, though. I'm open to pretty much anything.
Back
Top