As long as the donor machine is on first it does not matter when the computer receiving power gets turned on. The donor machine can even be running when the recipient machine is off without issue.
As far as the power surge goes, nothing that I could find was damaged; ports or peripherals. The...
Just dropping in to share the results of this. It worked with only a minor hiccup.
First time hooking everything up and booting resulted in a "usb hub power surge" message upon booting windows on the machine donating power. After disconnecting all usb devices and peripherals on the donor...
Excellent, thank you for confirming.
Cable length should not be a problem, I think. The 6/8 pin connectors are 25-30" long, hopefully that makes it less awkward.
Thanks, good to know it will work. More than just a bit ghetto. :p
Its been running fine nearly 24/7 for the last 3 years. As I mentioned, this is a very temporary setup. The i3 machine will be running off of the integrated graphics soon, the system is not going to be used for gaming thereafter.