Recent content by dleidlein

  1. D

    Upgrade video card + PSU or core system (CPU, etc.)?

    Ok, so I'm going to use the DFI board for a few months, then I'll buy a nice quad core with a new motherboard if I need the performance.. I'd probably go with the X58 chipset. So here's what my build looks like: EVGA GTX260 Core 216 - $150 with $10 MIR Corsair 750TX - $110 with $20 MIR...
  2. D

    Upgrade video card + PSU or core system (CPU, etc.)?

    I realize this is maybe not the best time to introduce this question, but it looks like I could build an intel system around the Q6600 and a GTX 260 that IF it overclocks well, would give me better performance (in most cases) than the AMD setup. I've just always gone with AMD, and as you can...
  3. D

    Upgrade video card + PSU or core system (CPU, etc.)?

    Yea I think the 512 will be enough for me, as a monitor upgrade is well down the road. I can then reconsider my card options and resell the 512 (as I'm reselling the 8800GTS now). 750 quad? - NVM, the power supply. :)
  4. D

    Upgrade video card + PSU or core system (CPU, etc.)?

    Yea, it's definitely NOT a lateral upgrade. I figure the PCP&C I linked should be sufficient into the future, as I would LIKE the option to grab a second 4870 and say a 25 or 28 inch monitor down the road. Although if that's the case, should I ignore the great deal I'm getting on the 720 +...
  5. D

    Upgrade video card + PSU or core system (CPU, etc.)?

    Ok Here's my list: $109.99 - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P $109.99 - $15 MIR -PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W $49.99 - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2-1066 $164.99 - $30 MIR - ASUS EAH4870 DK TOP/HTDI/512MD5 Radeon HD 4870 512MB $135.99 - $35 combo w/ 4870 - Phenom II X3 720 BE Total = 545.95 +...
  6. D

    Upgrade video card + PSU or core system (CPU, etc.)?

    LoL! I literally just put that combo in my cart, came and checked this post to see if anyone had replied.... That's awesome, in a geeky, creepy way... I was wondering if I should go with a 4870 with 1GB though, but I figure at 1680x1050, really the only game that MIGHT need that extra 512...
  7. D

    Upgrade video card + PSU or core system (CPU, etc.)?

    Yea I was thinking I could get it all, minus that power supply (unless you really think the OCZ I have, which is the 520 watt, won't be enough for that setup). But it seems to be a lateral upgrade in power supplies. "In a month or so" means two paychecks from now :) I was thinking I would get...
  8. D

    Upgrade video card + PSU or core system (CPU, etc.)?

    Well with option two, I have the HD 4870 in there; With an overclocked 720 (still deciding on the cooling btw), Do you think WIC will have a good 20-40 fps at 1680x1050, with most if not all options on (AA and AF most likely excluded for a smoother ride). I figure just upgrading my cpu/mobo...
  9. D

    Upgrade video card + PSU or core system (CPU, etc.)?

    Hi all, My Current System: MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum SLI AMD ATHLON 64 x2 3500+ (overclocked to about 4200+ speeds) 2x1gb DDR 400 8800GTS - 640mb (don't remember the manufacturer) OCZ ModStream 520W PSU (MIGHT be 450, have to double check when I get home)...
  10. D

    FS: AMD X2 3800+ Skt939, 2x1GB Patriot DDR400

    YHPM interested in CPU, nice deal!
  11. D

    enermax psu and opty 144

    bump! Look for a PM
  12. D

    Opteron 165 MSI Neo4 SLI Water cooling SCSI

    Hi dude, I've seen that name used over on the MSI forums. I have the same motherboard and have a winchester core... can you guess which thread I've seen you on? lol sharing your frustration with the board, I was interested in most of your parts except for that board lol, I'm trying to get OUT...
  13. D

    Is it possible to convert a RAID 0 array?

    Thanks, I pretty much figured that was the case. I've had nothing but problems running RAID on my board. Using the NVIDIA raid wouldn't even install windows, I guess you have to make a special windows xp disc as windows overwrites the drivers during install...which causes the install to crash...
  14. D

    Is it possible to convert a RAID 0 array?

    Hi, after rading a post about the lack of performance increase going to a striped array, I would like to either use my hard drives more efficiently as a RAID 1 array (for redundancy), or as simply two seperate drives (one for "programs", one for "storage" or something similar). My question is...
  15. D

    Does a few degrees make a significant difference in overclocking my 3000+ Winnie?

    excellent, I think I will go with the Zalman CNPS7000B as I can get it pretty cheap at frozen (I'll be out in NY next week so I'm going to their store). It's only a few dollars more than getting some generic cooler and it looks like that extra cooling will help the winchester hit higher speeds...
Back
Top