Recent content by cadmium

  1. C

    File Server Build Suggestions

    Cool. Is the 500W PSU necessary? Just eyeballing wattages and saying that in the extreme case I will really use 8 hdds, I feel like that still puts me in the 300-400 watt range. Also I wouldn't mind spending a little more for something gold or even platinum standard.
  2. C

    File Server Build Suggestions

    Thanks Dangman. I've used MDADM and had some minor issues with it, although I believe these issues were more related to the type of build it was used in and not entirely MDADM itself. (Bottom line that array is still fine after 4+ years.) I'll look at the other non-raid suggestions you made as...
  3. C

    File Server Build Suggestions

    1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc File server. I'll host a fairly large amount of data. ~10tb for consumption by other devices in my house. TVs, laptops, tablets etc. I would like a solution which doesn't force me to manually recopy data onto spare...
  4. C

    what is broken?

    Build from hell. Well I think everything is OK now, but this was probably my most painful build ever, even considering some of the crazy things that have happened to me while putting machines together (flaming motherboards....) Anyways in hopes of helping anyone who encounters any of the same...
  5. C

    what is broken?

    So at which stage should I try adding the gpu back in? After upgrading the bios? Should I also install all of the latest drivers too? Should I wait until the graphics card is in before trying to add the drivers for it?
  6. C

    what is broken?

    Getting ready to flash bios and I'm unsure about one thing. MSI's website has this instruction: Download the BIOS that matches your motherboard and version number to your USB device. My mobo is v1.1 but the newest is v22. Can I flash strait to v22? My whole goal is to update the bios version...
  7. C

    what is broken?

    It looks like it is stable after reinstalling windows. It ran over night waiting for me to put in my user info (I had gone to bed) without crashing. I guess I'll try getting new drivers from the msi website and see what happens. P.s. I did the reinstall without the graphic card in--obviously...
  8. C

    what is broken?

    Hi all, I recently ordered a new build and I was trying to finish it up tonight. All seemed great, but then went horribly, horribly down hill. First parts: GPU: gtx 780 PSU: SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W Mobo: Z87M-G43 CPU: i7 4770k HDD: Samsung 840 pro 256gb OS: windows 7 pro -----...
Back
Top