Upgrading my 9800GX2

FuNiOnZ

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 18, 2009
Messages
105
It's that time again, time to upgrade my video card that i've had for a year or two. I am extremely nvidia biased when it comes to video cards, never owned an ATI card in my life, just voodoo and nvidia. I was looking at upgrading to a 295 (which I was told was the only thing that would show an improvement over my 9800GX2), but apparently nVidia wants me to buy ATI seeing as I cannot find a card instock within this country. Any suggestions as to what I should be looking into? Different nVidia card? Or pop my cherry and go ATI?
 
Go ATI or wait a month and see what Nvidia is going to bring to the table.
 
considering the a GTX 295 is over $500, the value just isn't there anyway. The HD5870 @ $400 is a very good performer for $100 less.
If you can, you should probably wait for Fermi for a few weeks.
 
I was considering waiting for Fermi, but I had people telling me to wait for it last year. Another concern for me is the price, god knows it's probably going to cost upwards of $600~
 
true, however there is still a reasonable possibillity that it will go for $500ish and that would be no more than the GTX295 anyway. I think whether you go ATI or Nvidia, the prices on both sides will get alot better.
I say just wait a few more weeks.
 
There'll always be a better deal if you wait. If you can, then fine. If you can't, then go for a 5870. It should provide a decent boost in framerates, and the gameplay should be a lot smoother to boot.
 
I have the 9800GX2 also and right now it can run every game out there, i am waiting for Fermi and if Fermi does not deliver what it promises i will probably get a 5870.
 
It's that time again, time to upgrade my video card that i've had for a year or two. I am extremely nvidia biased when it comes to video cards, never owned an ATI card in my life, just voodoo and nvidia. I was looking at upgrading to a 295 (which I was told was the only thing that would show an improvement over my 9800GX2), but apparently nVidia wants me to buy ATI seeing as I cannot find a card instock within this country. Any suggestions as to what I should be looking into? Different nVidia card? Or pop my cherry and go ATI?

Have you tried the used market?
I got my 295 for $300 shipped.
 
I went to the 5870 just before xmas. I really do love my card. I have had to learn some of the new AA settings and cheats to allow AA to work in some games.It's def different from my GTX 275's that I had. I will check out Fermi when it comes out, but I will also be upgrading to another 5870 over the summer anyway to get more life out of it. Good Luck in your decision.
 
Have you tried the used market?
I got my 295 for $300 shipped.

I'm really paranoid about used videocards, I'd rather pay the extra to know that someone didn't cut the lifespan of my card in half

I have the 9800GX2 also and right now it can run every game out there, i am waiting for Fermi and if Fermi does not deliver what it promises i will probably get a 5870.

It runs every game, but I run 1920x1080 and on some newer games its starting to show it's age.

9800GX2 is a fine card, keep it.

I considered it, but the performance just isn't what it used to be.
 
Back
Top