Windows 10 Users Seeing Full-Screen Ads As Screen Savers

I've circled one problem for you.

Windows_10.jpg

Well the Pro version doesn't have this on by default. If there were no option to turn this off I'd get the rage.

Not a big deal, it's just that am a very brown skinned individual. My nose is naturally brown and has been for almost 48 years. It's the same kind of stupid that comes across when some claim that I and others are getting paid. That's why it's best to leave personal details out of anonymous conversations. Cause we really don't know much about each other by design.
He said brown nose. No hint of racism. YOU are the one that brought race into the generic conversation. That is what I call racism. Don't read a common saying as literal. Quit trying to be offended. Ugh...

He said brown nose. No hint of racism. YOU are the one that brought race into the generic conversation. That is what I call racism. Don't read a common saying as literal. Quit trying to be offended. Ugh...

All I said was that the particular personal attack made was stupid as my nose is indeed quite brown by since birth. Again, not a big deal, not offended, indeed I got a nice laugh out of it. :LOL:

Last edited:

I must have misread it. I took it comically, not as racially. I didn't find the racism in heatless's comment either. I could have missed it, though.

I must have misread it. I took it comically, not as racially. I didn't find the racism in heatless's comment either. I could have missed it, though.

Indeed, I was just pointing out that it was a lame insult for a person with a brown nose. That's all. It'd be like me trying to insult a white guy by calling him a white guy. Duh.

Not a big deal, it's just that am a very brown skinned individual. My nose is naturally brown and has been for almost 48 years. It's the same kind of stupid that comes across when some claim that I and others are getting paid. That's why it's best to leave personal details out of anonymous conversations. Cause we really don't know much about each other by design.

I'm just poking fun at your response, that's all. It's all good :)

10 pro here, don't recall turning anything like that off and I don' t see any ads thankfully and hopefully I don't in the future

10 pro here, don't recall turning anything like that off and I don' t see any ads thankfully and hopefully I don't in the future

Windows Spotlight is the default lock screen background for Home. Pro and Enterprise default to a picture background.

It's the same kind of stupid that comes across when some claim that I and others are getting paid.

It's not stupid, your post read like a salesman pitch for Win10, you have to be sucking up to Microsoft for some reason, no one does something without a reason.

Still reading ridiculous crap about "ads on the desktop, blah, blah..."

Don't you nimrods ever get tired of being dumber than the chairs you're sitting on?

Don't you nimrods ever get tired of being dumber than the chairs you're sitting on?
So what is the point you are trying to make? Obviously there are ads being pushed but not to everyone, just like they had windows 10 secretly download on peoples pc even without them asking. Happened to me and did not even ask for the upgrade and i still had that stupid windowsBT folder on my computer.

hummm so if you bought the old versions and upgrade them professional you don't get ads.. if you get the free version you have to turn off ads... so we have a new os instead of windows 8... which seems like they tried to fix all the mistakes of 2000, 7, and 8/8.1 for free... and the people who get home or home starter have ads they have to turn off? Microsoft does some sleazy things from time to time, but honestly is this one of them?

I'd be more annoyed you have to deal with configuring some things, and that some software does not work yet because it requires low level access to the computer while being run remotely... when you have an executive file on the system the system can track exactly what it is running when you run active x it pretends to be the system... this is not a feature in windows 10.

For some companies that paid some consultant then did not pay them... this causes problems rewriting the code, if the person did not simply cut and paste standard libraries... I always got yelled at for that since I would say but it works and they would say but I have no idea how to maintain that! I say but all the functions are documented in the files... then I found out that most people do not understand over loading an operend... not sure if that is something people still do. So I stopped writing code and watched people lose their jobs because there code was too easy to maintain. Well I still use scripting for my webpages and software but no one has to go in and figure out how it works. So my guess is that there are two groups of people annoyed at this the ones that have to turn it off and the ones who don't like people are using windows 10. That second group contains different opinions but it is like when people complained about linux... and open source code.

It's not stupid, your post read like a salesman pitch for Win10, you have to be sucking up to Microsoft for some reason, no one does something without a reason.

I use Windows 10 extensively. I have to wonder why those that don't freak out about everything regarding 10 when they aren't even using it.

Last edited:
I used Windows 10 extensively. I have to wonder why those that don't freak out about everything regarding 10 when they aren't even using it.
i have windows 10 on my laptop, i upgraded to it for fun. While the UI is a million times better than 8 then behind the scenes crap and the push to use their store turns me off so much that i never use my laptop anymore and i have no desire to install it on my desktop.

Come on, keep the discussion casual, no need to insult people, I have met many a fine PEBCAC in my day ;-) PEBCACs have rights too!

There are ads, are you really trying to say there aren't? It's good that if you run Pro you don't have to see it by default, and I that's what I am running. There is a screenshot of it for Tomb Raider. It is clearly an add that shows up in a slideshow for a screensaver, that is as close to the desktop as you can get, it's right on top of it! The hair has been split so many times now on this argument, that it has disappeared from existence.

i have windows 10 on my laptop, i upgraded to it for fun. While the UI is a million times better than 8 then behind the scenes crap and the push to use their store turns me off so much that i never use my laptop anymore and i have no desire to install it on my desktop.

Ok. I use Windows Store apps and all of the desktop apps I always have. I setting the default apps to Store apps is definitely a push, though that's easy enough to change except when the old desktop version isn't there like Calculator. I actually love 10 on the desktop now, because of the multi-monitor support and task view. Like anything, it's easier to like and enjoy one isn't always fighting it. Obviously if you don't like what's in 10 and just want to stick with the same old same old, you'd fight it a lot.

Some people here have said that people like me are "part of the problem?" I guess the problem is that I like overall what 10 can do and don't find something that can be turned off a big deal. There's no other single operating system, beside perhaps 8.1 that I don't think works as well on the desktop, that supports the range of hardware and software that 10 does. That's by far 10's greatest strength.

Ok. I use Windows Store apps and all of the desktop apps I always have. I setting the default apps to Store apps is definitely a push, though that's easy enough to change except when the old desktop version isn't there like Calculator. I actually love 10 on the desktop now, because of the multi-monitor support and task view. Like anything, it's easier to like and enjoy one isn't always fighting it. Obviously if you don't like what's in 10 and just want to stick with the same old same old, you'd fight it a lot.

Some people here have said that people like me are "part of the problem?" I guess the problem is that I like overall what 10 can do and don't find something that can be turned off a big deal. There's no other single operating system, beside perhaps 8.1 that I don't think works as well on the desktop, that supports the range of hardware and software that 10 does. That's by far 10's greatest strength.

so... when are you and windows getting married? ahahaha just kidding. :) :eek: I like windows to the point I use it exclusively but I am not too thrilled in the direction is going with the desktop OS...

so... when are you and windows getting married? ahahaha just kidding. :) :eek: I like windows to the point I use it exclusively but I am not too thrilled in the direction is going with the desktop OS...

LOL! I get what you're saying. So where should things go? Many around here speak of the "lowest common denominator" and Windows heading down that path. So would it be better for them to head go for the "highest common denominator"? Would that get more people being Windows devices? I think Microsoft is doing with Windows makes perfect sense from a market perspective today. A mix of the old and the new. Maybe there should be options to control certain things but I don't think there's a lot future for consumer desktops with a "Turn this into Windows 7" switch. A "Turn off all telemetry" switch I do think makes sense. I simply think that at the telemetry at the basic level people are vastly overstating the value of the data and it's ability to mean much on an individual level. But I do think it's something Microsoft should provide better options for. And more transparency would be nice but at the same time that one gets tricky. There's been a lot of so called proof about how Microsoft does all sorts of things and it's nothing close to proof. The more details that Microsoft provides, the more "proof" of something totally made up will appear.

I simply think that at the telemetry at the basic level people are vastly overstating the value of the data and it's ability to mean much on an individual level.

If that were true then why isnt MS willing to provide a real, working, telemetry off switch?No half measure bullshit like thinking you disabled Cortana but it keeps phoning home anyway. That shit has got to stop, and the longer MS plays chicken hoping people eventually just bend over and accept it, the more mindshare they hemorrhage and the more people are turned off to any of their other products.

Now was not the time for Microsoft to be polarizing.

If that were true then why isnt MS willing to provide a real, working, telemetry off switch?No half measure bullshit like thinking you disabled Cortana but it keeps phoning home anyway. That shit has got to stop, and the longer MS plays chicken hoping people eventually just bend over and accept it, the more mindshare they hemorrhage and the more people are turned off to any of their other products.

Hemorrhage mindshare from the desktop? Unlikely. Many enterprises are going to start deploying 10 this year, including the mega I work at currently. I get that some have a problem with 10's telemetry and that not all of the options as easily available to consumers. But Cortana, block port 20 at the firewall and done. Something highest common denominator folks can do easily.

Now was not the time for Microsoft to be polarizing.

Same thing was said of Windows 8. However now Windows 10 has a decent tablet business behind it. And that means a lot more devices than Surface. So Windows 8 was polarizing because Microsoft forgot desktop users. Hell, you've criticizing because it supposedly sucks on tablets. With the vast array of hardware and software that Windows runs, it's nearly impossible for Microsoft not to be polarizing unless they support everything forever and always. Even paywalls which you've vehemently argued against. Until Windows 10 was free and than started arguing that Microsoft was forcing people to upgrade to 10.

It's pretty much a cycle of never going to please everyone. Might as well please those that will actually use this stuff.

I have a couple thoughts on this.

First, has anyone personally, on this forum, seen these start screen ads? I'm curious as to what conditions they appear under. I, personally, have not seen any. I use Windows 10 at home and at work. I see the lock screen frequently at work as GPO dictate that machines auto lock after 15 minutes of no activity. Granted, I do not use the windows spotlight as a source for my lock screen image.

What are the versions of Windows 10 that this is happening on? Has it been confirmed that it is happening on the Home and Pro versions? Or, is it only happening on Windows 10 with Bing. If it's only on the Bing version, I really have no issue at all. This version is absolutely free. The consumers, and OEM's pay nothing for this specific version and it's only allowed on extremely low end hardware. I have no problem with Microsoft setting the default to advertise on this type of version. In the end, I would prefer this sort of thing to be opt in (though I don't know who would unless it provided some positive benefit to the user).

Finally, I am somewhat amused how no one has complained until now about MS advertising. The start menu has had "suggested apps" showing on it since day 1, and it's an opt out thing. When I first noticed it in the fall, I was irritated enough to send MS feedback and turned it off.

I have a couple thoughts on this.

First, has anyone personally, on this forum, seen these start screen ads? I'm curious as to what conditions they appear under. I, personally, have not seen any. I use Windows 10 at home and at work. I see the lock screen frequently at work as GPO dictate that machines auto lock after 15 minutes of no activity. Granted, I do not use the windows spotlight as a source for my lock screen image.

What are the versions of Windows 10 that this is happening on? Has it been confirmed that it is happening on the Home and Pro versions? Or, is it only happening on Windows 10 with Bing. If it's only on the Bing version, I really have no issue at all. This version is absolutely free. The consumers, and OEM's pay nothing for this specific version and it's only allowed on extremely low end hardware. I have no problem with Microsoft setting the default to advertise on this type of version. In the end, I would prefer this sort of thing to be opt in (though I don't know who would unless it provided some positive benefit to the user).

Finally, I am somewhat amused how no one has complained until now about MS advertising. The start menu has had "suggested apps" showing on it since day 1, and it's an opt out thing. When I first noticed it in the fall, I was irritated enough to send MS feedback and turned it off.

Not sure where you have been but, complaining even about what you just mentioned did occur because, after all, this is a common occurrence around here. Personally, wish they would bring back the option of having a full screen start screen open on login so I can see everything at a glance like before. On my machines, that I use the full screen start screen exclusively anyways.

LOL! I get what you're saying. So where should things go? Many around here speak of the "lowest common denominator" and Windows heading down that path. So would it be better for them to head go for the "highest common denominator"? Would that get more people being Windows devices? I think Microsoft is doing with Windows makes perfect sense from a market perspective today. A mix of the old and the new. Maybe there should be options to control certain things but I don't think there's a lot future for consumer desktops with a "Turn this into Windows 7" switch. A "Turn off all telemetry" switch I do think makes sense. I simply think that at the telemetry at the basic level people are vastly overstating the value of the data and it's ability to mean much on an individual level. But I do think it's something Microsoft should provide better options for. And more transparency would be nice but at the same time that one gets tricky. There's been a lot of so called proof about how Microsoft does all sorts of things and it's nothing close to proof. The more details that Microsoft provides, the more "proof" of something totally made up will appear.

Honestly? Simpler and let the people choose what to install like the good ol windows 9X days

so if they want the metro app and the store, they can check it off on the install box

Windows 10 brings a lot of previous features up to snuff like roaming profiles (that's essentially what your MS account is - a large roaming profile) the ability to have all of your store apps on each PC you login to
I like the fact that I can see missed calls in the action center on my desktop (I am old and don't always have my phone on or with me)

Things I do not like
"Try MS office free for one month"
Start Menu on a non touch device is a PITA. It's great on my touch hardware though.

It's interesting that the "Get fun facts, tips, and stuff/whatever" button was turned ON. And I haven't seen these ads once. I turned it off now - but the ads most certainly weren't there for me in either case.

It's odd how it seems different machines are behaving differently with respect to windows these days. Similarly - I have an HTPC that I absolutely do not want to upgrade to win 10 due to media center being nuked. I've left automatic updates ON since I built the machine - with automatic install. I got the little windows nag thing once, and it just sits there on my taskbar. I haven't checked in a little bit - but a few weeks after the 5GB prefetch download of win10 fiasco thing, my machine still hadn't downloaded it.

Point is, I believe these things are happening - but it's not consistent at all. My experience with win 10 and the win 7 upgrade has been very unobtrusive.

Now if we want to make a legitimate complaint about Win 10 - mine would be that it's slightly less stable than win 7 was. Probably a logitech driver thing - but I have frequent occurrences where I can't click on things and need to reboot. But that's pretty minor stuff compared to say... Windows ME.

Honestly? Simpler and let the people choose what to install like the good ol windows 9X days

so if they want the metro app and the store, they can check it off on the install box

Windows 10 brings a lot of previous features up to snuff like roaming profiles (that's essentially what your MS account is - a large roaming profile) the ability to have all of your store apps on each PC you login to
I like the fact that I can see missed calls in the action center on my desktop (I am old and don't always have my phone on or with me)

Things I do not like
"Try MS office free for one month"
Start Menu on a non touch device is a PITA. It's great on my touch hardware though.

Sure, but these are tactical things, I don't see them as major selling points to most people.

Win8.1 is better than Win10 start menu with Classicshell, far more customizable start menu and no apps in my face either.

Back