Super Mario RPG (2023)

My copy was shipped yesterday according to my retailer, although USPS only claims they got it today, could be Toboggan got it in the mail early.
Perhaps. That'd be a pretty early delivery mistake by a retailer that he's already that far in and didn't mention it.

No shame I definitely pirated it, had they put a $30 price tag on it or lower I'd have paid, but for a 10hr game I'm not giving out any more money than that, especially for a remake. If it goes on sale I'll probably buy it because it's quite good, but not until then.

DF's Tech Review

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWGmO1QoFDE

Got it pre-loaded on the Switch and excited to play this weekend!

No shame I definitely pirated it, had they put a $30 price tag on it or lower I'd have paid, but for a 10hr game I'm not giving out any more money than that, especially for a remake. If it goes on sale I'll probably buy it because it's quite good, but not until then.

Dislike.. I could maybe understand if this was a PC game with intrusive DRM on it or something. Or maybe even a half-assed re-release like Konami's recent MGS collection. But subjective value assessment is a bad reason to pirate IMO. Being a remake with all of the same work involved as creating a new game from scratch doesn't help the argument either. I wonder if you apply that same justification to other outstanding remakes like RE4, Dead Space, and FF7 to pirate them as well.

You can get a semi-deal on Nintendo games with their game vouchers; $100 for 2 games of your choosing. Which is how I got this and Zelda TotK for $100 instead of $130 separately.

Last edited:
DF's Tech Review

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWGmO1QoFDE

Got it pre-loaded on the Switch and excited to play this weekend!

Dislike.. I could maybe understand if this was a PC game with intrusive DRM on it or something. Or maybe even a half-assed re-release like Konami's recent MGS collection. But subjective value assessment is a bad reason to pirate IMO. Being a remake with all of the same work involved as creating a new game from scratch doesn't help the argument either. I wonder if you apply that same justification to other outstanding remakes like RE4, Dead Space, and FF7 to pirate them as well.

You can get a semi-deal on Nintendo games with their game vouchers; $100 for 2 games of your choosing. Which is how I got this and Zelda TotK for $100 instead of $130 separately.

I wouldn't waste the bandwidth on turds like TotK and FF7r.

this a 10 hour game?

I wouldn't waste the bandwidth on turds like TotK and FF7r.
jj4mo27sxfo2r03kprtcy&ep=v1_gifs_related&rid=giphy.gif

Put 5 or so hours into it and its exactly what I wanted and expected. Only minor gripe is there hasn't been any challenge so far, though I have only got 2 of the stars and am in Moleville now for the 3rd star. I've pretty much mastered the attack and defense timing and I think that is what makes it much easier over the original from what I remember. It doesn't seem like they made enemies any harder to compensate for the new attack abilities.

I'm amazed with the new soundtrack though, that its able to overcome my nostalgia for the original music and freshen it up so well. I do appreciate the option to toggle the original music though, which I've been doing a bit in every new area. But I keep settling back on the new music since it's done so well.

Put 5 or so hours into it and its exactly what I wanted and expected. Only minor gripe is there hasn't been any challenge so far, though I have only got 2 of the stars and am in Moleville now for the 3rd star. I've pretty much mastered the attack and defense timing and I think that is what makes it much easier over the original from what I remember. It doesn't seem like they made enemies any harder to compensate for the new attack abilities.

I'm amazed with the new soundtrack though, that its able to overcome my nostalgia for the original music and freshen it up so well. I do appreciate the option to toggle the original music though, which I've been doing a bit in every new area. But I keep settling back on the new music since it's done so well.

Bought with a giftcard from work, Working on 6th star now, probably would finish but need to go to a party. Should be a 29.00 game, gonna plop my copy on ebay and try to recoup some dollar bills.

It's a fun game, but wow nintendo.

I clocked in at 18h20m on my playthrough and still have the post game bosses to fight and stuff. This is the same or better (much better factoring in inflation) value as the original game that was also $60-$70 in '96 and don't remember seeing anyone complain about that game. So I'm good with it this time as well, esp. with all the care, attention to detail, and small gameplay improvements they put into this remake.

I can't do the 100 jumps anymore. I did it no problem as a kid in the original.

I wonder if they opened up the timing window any, the interwebs say it was 2 frames on the SNES, but a two frame window on a system with wired controller, no frame buffer, and a CRT is a lot more acheivable than a two frame window on a modern system with wireless controllers, sample and hold displays, etc.

Of course, you may have just gotten old. :p

I wonder if they opened up the timing window any, the interwebs say it was 2 frames on the SNES, but a two frame window on a system with wired controller, no frame buffer, and a CRT is a lot more acheivable than a two frame window on a modern system with wireless controllers, sample and hold displays, etc.

Of course, you may have just gotten old. :p
I have the same issue with the jumping rope in Final Fantasy IX. Was able to do it with some warmup originally, but that was on a CRT. I ended up using an autohotkey script on the PC and PS4 version...

Nah, it's on my short list to do now.

Yeah, apparently there's enough lag on the wireless to make this hard. They give you a ~4 frame window now it seems.

View: https://youtu.be/GHPsXDCqplw?si=c6QRe7j8wQRfbzlF

I saw that video, but I still can't do it. I have a wired controller and all. Just that I'm too old to react appropriately. My highest is 33 jumps, and I usually fail when I have to blink.

Hmm, I've been able to pretty consistently do the precise attack and defense timings. But I've also mostly played portably with joycons attached as well. Now that I think of it, I did seem to miss the timing more playing docked with the pro controller too.

Hmm, I've been able to pretty consistently do the precise attack and defense timings. But I've also mostly played portably with joycons attached as well. Now that I think of it, I did seem to miss the timing more playing docked with the pro controller too.
I always play it socked with Joyce and wireless. This the first game that bothered me.

The entire game feel sluggish and laggy to me. Took me longer then it should to just get the basic atk/Def timing down.
Very hard for me on pro controller. Got used to it eventually, but it took forever, and never felt accurate.

Is the Zelda game in the room with us now, vegeta535?

You seem to have an unrelated axe to grind. It sounds like tv input lag or wireless lag, (perhaps the game has tight timings) not the switch.
Oh get over it. Someone not liking the new Zelda games. The horror. The Switch was outdated when it was released. I have zero noticeable lag playing wireless on my PS5 and xbox.

Very hard for me on pro controller. Got used to it eventually, but it took forever, and never felt accurate.
I play Switch games on an 8bitdo SN30+. It's a much better experience than the Switch Pro controller that costs twice as much. The SN30 was superseded by the Pro 2, which is a little more expensive than the SN30, but still a hell of a lot cheaper.

I play Switch games on an 8bitdo SN30+. It's a much better experience than the Switch Pro controller that costs twice as much. The SN30 was superseded by the Pro 2, which is a little more expensive than the SN30, but still a hell of a lot cheaper.
I had a 8bitDo adapter to use my PS4 controller on the Switch. Idk with I did with it tho.

I think it's the game not necessarily the controller, i have at least a hundred+ hours in hades and it feels perfect. Either way i had fun, that's a cool little game.

Well after more than an hour of trying to get the 100 super jump steak, the best I could get was 88 and that was on a wireless pro controller. I tried wired and handheld with attached joycons as well. I feel like the short travel of the joycon buttons makes it slightly easier to time, but it seemed I did the worst using them. But it may have just been I'm up way past my bedtime too and I tried them last 😅.

Well after more than an hour of trying to get the 100 super jump steak, the best I could get was 88 and that was on a wireless pro controller. I tried wired and handheld with attached joycons as well. I feel like the short travel of the joycon buttons makes it slightly easier to time, but it seemed I did the worst using them. But it may have just been I'm up way past my bedtime too and I tried them last 😅.
I tried a bunch earlier today, and wired, the best I did was 55 with an sn30 pro. If I go wireless, regardless of the controller, the best I can do is 25.

Also, did you make sure to set the controller setting to use wired if available? It's off by default, and even if you plug your controller in, it will still use wireless.

I think I'm just going to give up on this and just beat the game and move on.

I gave up on the 100 jumps. Only got to 35. Pretty sure I got it when I was younger. My reaction time is still ~180ms according to online tests, so age hasn't affected me that much. I went ahead and finished the game at level 22. Took about 15 hours in total. I'm somewhat glad that it's a shorter game. Too many games strive to be 30+ hours and end up with too much filler content rather than deliver a more refined experience.

IMG_20231231_075549836.jpg

Picked this up today it opens up and looks like level 1 for SmB has blocks and pipes.

Back