Super Mario RPG (2023)

Looks nice. Not sure I'd pay $60 for this, but maybe? I guess that's why they didn't put it on switch online, even though it was on the mini snes (where it's 100% enjoyable)

Fucking finally.. been wishing they'd just add the original to the online service. I play it every couple years on emulator on my phone or Shield TV. Prolly my fav game from the SNES. So this is an insta-buy for me. I thought it'd never happen though due to some conflict with Square-Enix, or this should have happened much sooner.

Yeah, looks good. I, too, always thought it was a Square conflict preventing them from re-making or having direct sequels to the game.

I'm hoping this means we'll get to see Geno in new games, I always liked that character and (afaik) was disappointed he never featured in another game.

I am so incredibly pumped for this.

Still one of my favorite game soundtracks of all time. Can't wait to hear it with higher bitrate. I hope they don't change it too much.

Looks nice. Not sure I'd pay $60 for this, but maybe? I guess that's why they didn't put it on switch online, even though it was on the mini snes (where it's 100% enjoyable)

Even if it has absolutely no changes beyond the (great looking) graphical update I’m all for paying $60. The game is so good that it’s worth it.

I get sort of an uncanny valley feeling with the brighter graphics. The original felt more like claymation. Anyway, I'll still buy it.

I think it looks fine. Maybe if they went with a more cel-shaded look to blend in the old sprite aesthetic it would look better. Otherwise I'm not sure what else they could have done with it to make it look different while not looking radically different from the original.

Yeah, I'm not bothered by the new look either. I agree with another poster that the original game had a 'claymation'-vibe, but the cleaned up look works for me. I'm glad they didn't try to 'de-chub' the models either.

This is the type of remake I hope Final Fantasy IX receives whenever (or if) that game's ever revealed.

Fucking finally.. been wishing they'd just add the original to the online service. I play it every couple years on emulator on my phone or Shield TV. Prolly my fav game from the SNES. So this is an insta-buy for me. I thought it'd never happen though due to some conflict with Square-Enix, or this should have happened much sooner.
Square divided up the character rights so Sony is currently the owner of a few of them. Makes it hard because then Nintendo would need to work out royalty agreements there . Major PITA, sucks for us.

I’m hoping this is the bundled game with the new Switch, it would be an insta buy.

Director of the original game, Chihiro Fujioka, says he is "surprised and pleased" with the news of the remake despite not being involved with it.

https://twitter.com/ChihiroFujioka/status/1671914780326768640
1688576251981.png

This and eiyuden chronicles are the only two things I saw today that interest me.

Last edited:
Would be nice if all these older Nintendo games made it to iOS, just like what Square is doing. But doubtful it will come.

Day 1 buy for sure. Here I come Culex, tormenter of my childhood.
Agreed, a game like this might even convince me to undock my switch. Controls are very clunky and hurt my hands for most games always use pro controller. This seems perfect.

I don't preorder games anymore... except this time. Can't wait to share this one with the kids.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I don't preorder games anymore... except this time. Can't wait to share this one with the kids.
Same here. Though I buy all digital, I'm tempted to get a physical copy of this so kids can play on the 2nd Switch on their own profiles. But I'm also wondering if this game has multiple save profiles within the game like the original did so they could just play on my profile of the digital game. Because the 2nd Switch doesn't let any other profiles besides mine play purchased games on my account (Nintendo only lets you share digital titles with other profiles on your primary Switch), which really annoys me.

Reactions: t1k
like this
Same here. Though I buy all digital, I'm tempted to get a physical copy of this so kids can play on the 2nd Switch on their own profiles. But I'm also wondering if this game has multiple save profiles within the game like the original did so they could just play on my profile of the digital game. Because the 2nd Switch doesn't let any other profiles besides mine play purchased games on my account (Nintendo only lets you share digital titles with other profiles on your primary Switch), which really annoys me.
When it comes to Switch games I buy physical. It lets me share games with my nephews, but more importantly Nintendo now has a proven track record of shutting down their e-shops for each console. Made me wish I bought physical everything for the Wii U and 3DS.

I don't own a Switch, but mannnnn did I love this game on my ole SNES!!

I even had a fold-out poster on my wall way back in... I guess I was 7th grade when the game came out?? (or maybe it was 6th grade)

When it comes to Switch games I buy physical. It lets me share games with my nephews, but more importantly Nintendo now has a proven track record of shutting down their e-shops for each console. Made me wish I bought physical everything for the Wii U and 3DS.
That's one of the reasons I always buy physical. Even before Nintendo shut down, this was my fear, that I'd lose everything. And people said that these companies will do stuff to make sure you don't lose it. But history has shown this to be far from the case. Not to mention that the Wii U has a problem with it bricking if you don't play it after a long time.
Also for some reason switch games hold their value incredibly well.
I think that's just because Nintendo games are fun, which is something most modern companies seem to not understand the concept of. Especially western games, their version of games is addictive, to make people spend money on DLC. But addictive != fun. Fun games can be addictive, but addictive games are not always fun. And if you break that addiction, you'll see that many popular games are just hollow shells of games.

Not to mention that the Wii U has a problem with it bricking if you don't play it after a long time.
Ugh, it does? I haven't plugged mine in for about 5 years... Am I screwed? I have a ton of physical wii and wii u games I wanted to play again soon :eek:.

Back