Starcraft 2 Battle Report #3 is out.

Sabre, a lot of people are into the "No Rush 10/20" games. A nice 2v2 or 3v3 Top vs Bottom map where you have 10 or 20 minutes to build up before you're allowed to attack eachother.

I don't quite care for those, but it seems like it might suit you well.

Sabre, a lot of people are into the "No Rush 10/20" games. A nice 2v2 or 3v3 Top vs Bottom map where you have 10 or 20 minutes to build up before you're allowed to attack eachother.

I don't quite care for those, but it seems like it might suit you well.

Agreed, but it can be very difficult to find a game like that without lagging. Part of my gripe with bnet is just bnet itself kinda sucks. I find it much easier to play via Hamachi with people I know.

Also as I mentioned before, I've been back-stabbed by allies on bnet quite a few times. There's nothing worse than playing a good hour-plus game only to have your jackass teammates come swooping into your base with the armada you thought they were building to kill the other guys :mad:

this game is going to ruin my life when it comes out, i can see it now

By the way, this is with some older Zerg models. Relatively speaking this Battle Report, although released recently is actually of a much older Starcraft 2 build. The spawning pool has changed since then, for example.

What I'm looking forward with SC 2 is the map-editor. I suck at mp in starcraft so I won't bother.

I don't just play SP, I just don't usually play on battle.net. Mostly I play with friends against large numbers of comps on custom maps designed to give the comps an advantage, or occasionally a bunch of us will play against each other (or FFA). But we don't play harassment-style games. That's just not fun to me, and they apparently agree. Like I said, to each their own.

As for funky UMS games, no thanks. I play StarCraft to play StarCraft, no pokemon, missile defender, tower defense, or whatever other stuff is popular these days. I've made UMS games for my friends before, but they are still games of 'craft, not stuff like you're talking about.

And I've been playing StarCraft for 10 years thanks, so yes, actually, I have really played it ;)

PS - I used battle.net semi-regularly until shortly after BW was released, never really bothered since except here and there... and half the time when I did play, I got back-stabbed by my allies. Yeah, I'm really missing out :rolleyes:

Same here and your not alone. Having a good time with friends is more important and I rarely play with unknown people on RTS games for numerous reason. I guess my skill level may not be at the same level as someone with no school, job, responsibilities and/or can dedicate hours, weeks, and/or years for this sole purpose. Nor do I really care to. Nothing like getting a free hour to play so you can get "0wn'd" by a thirteen year old with his mother yelling him to do his chores.... Man that sounds like fun....:rolleyes:

Different taste for different folks obviously. Might be due to age, but I find co-op games more enjoyable now.

All I know is if I tried pulling that worker harrassment my budies would be laughing at that for weeks. Not because it was effecitive, but how comical it was.

that video was awesome... and i really look forward to watching more awesome matches between the pros....

but a game like that... with that kind of rushing and fast pace... i couldnt personally enjoy playing...

that video was awesome... and i really look forward to watching more awesome matches between the pros....

but a game like that... with that kind of rushing and fast pace... i couldnt personally enjoy playing...

Don't forget that those guys are people who dedicated their life to play Starcraft.
Heck, I played that game like a maniac for a LONNNG time but never to that level of speed.

People make it sound like only the "elite" plays on b.net and to me that's alot of BS. Find a good clan and have fun and even if you don't, 95% of the Starcraft player base are casual players and elite players, they play Ladder, not normal 3vs3.

Though I've never been backstabbed by my teammate, maybe you're just an unlucky person?

People make it sound like only the "elite" plays on b.net and to me that's alot of BS. Find a good clan and have fun and even if you don't, 95% of the Starcraft player base are casual players and elite players, they play Ladder, not normal 3vs3.

If that's how you interpreted it, that's your problem. It wasn't what I intended.

Though I've never been backstabbed by my teammate, maybe you're just an unlucky person?

Maybe you just don't play enough games with random strangers?

Jeez people like to make assumptions around here.

FWIW, I think bnet as a platform just sucks - impossible to find a good game and if you do, good luck not having it dragged down by lag. And don't get me started on unrealistically high ping restrictions either. Clans are a nice suggestion, but as someone else pointed out, not all of us have that kind of time to devote to a game.

Might be due to age, but I find co-op games more enjoyable now.

This. I blame my steep decline in PC gaming largely on the lack of good co-op options these days.

Maybe you just don't play enough games with random strangers?

Jeez people like to make assumptions around here.

FWIW, I think bnet as a platform just sucks - impossible to find a good game and if you do, good luck not having it dragged down by lag. And don't get me started on unrealistically high ping restrictions either. Clans are a nice suggestion, but as someone else pointed out, not all of us have that kind of time to devote to a game.

I used to play with strangers all the time... find the first 3vs3,2vs2, or whatever type of game I was looking for at the time, join, play, enjoy.

Sure, some games one guy dropped, it sucks, but sometimes it makes it more challenging, especially in a 3vs3 where you end up 3vs2 and then teamwork becomes really important, or the game just broke and we all went home and started another one.

I have to admit, I DID have more free time back when I was a bit of a starcraft addict, but I got back to that game a couple years ago with a job, girlfriend, house, etc and even then I still found good games.

Playing with friends is always better and you'll enjoy it more, this goes for any games but I still think that Starcraft can be enjoyed by anyone and everyone who likes RTS and they can easily find games that will match their skill level... it will be harder now since, hey, it's getting old and less people are playing BUT with SC2 on the horizon, we will see more gamers coming back to their old flame :)

If you've never been back stabbed by a teammate, you haven't played a lot of games on b.net.

If you've never been back stabbed by a teammate, you haven't played a lot of games on b.net.

Maybe I don't remember...
I've had my fair share of teaming up in FFA but in 2vs2,3vs3, etc not that I can remember and I've logged too many hours in bnet back when I was still in school... :p

I agree that playing with strangers on bnet can really blow half the time...but every now and then you can find a game with strangers thats just AWESOME.

That said I always prefer to play with friends...and when we do, it can get awfully vicious with the worker harassment, early rushes, etc. None of us are extremely good, (though some are noticeably better than others...), but once you learn eachothers styles, it can lead to some ridiculously cold sweat inducing nervous shiver RUSH kind of games. RTS's always get the heart going and nerves worked up more than any FPS ever can. What makes it is that ...I may be going for a zealot/arbiter early/mid rush....but then someone will come piss in my cheerios with a 2-6 zergling assault. All of a sudden your hopes and dreams got dashed for the game, and the counter wars have to begin. Sometimes those games will drag out to an hour of just downright nasty gameplay with difficult teching and constant harassment and attacking, sometimes its over in 10 minutes or less. Regardless, its always a blast.

Some of the most comical gaming moments ever for me have been simple simple low tech starcraft grunt fights. For example, 1v1 I was terran, my friend was zerg. I specifically recall getting drone/ zergling barraged for a solid 10-15 first minutes of gameplay. holding off the zerglings was consuming all my resources on building marines and trying to keep a solid bunker line that he just kept running by. He would take down a few scv's, and come back with more. Obviously I was getting outmined and slowly overwhelmed by the constant swarms of 6+ every 30-45 seconds. For some reason, he didnt slow up at all and tech other than 3 hatcheries and a spawning pool...I suppose he just assumed that enough persistence would win it over, and letting up to move on to hydras or something would let me regroup too much.

Regardless, I finally got 150 to drop an academy and 100 on vespene production...as soon as those finished...I made 2 firebats. They succeeded in annihilating a swarm of 12 zerglings before they ever got past the choke... Seeing that success I left 2 marines in each of 2 bunkers and the firebats at the choke...I took the other 8 marines or so and charged his base... the marines managed to kill a hydra den that was in production, than got torn down by zerglings and the sunken he quickly dropped.

At this point...I was working on a factory for tanks, but decided to bypass that. I dropped a starport immediately upon completion. meantime, he countered with about 20 zerglings thinking I may have totally vacated units...they managed to take down both bunkers and the firebats (damn bastards got blocked and walked away from the choke...). My scv's killed the last 2 zerglinsg with no casualties...

At this point things turned to utter chaos as i was trying to keep enough rines/bats online to hold off the zergling waves who were slowly overwhelming once more. I was minding the resources just enough to drop a single lonely wraith.

Thats bastard singlehandedly won the game...he got in the base...killed an overlord. as he finished him up, a second wraith arrived to kill the overlord. His second hydra den finished sometime around that, but he was out of supplies to actually do anything about anything. the standing zerglings he had raided the base and killed all my everything...I snuck out a 3rd wraith just in time to lift off the starport...I also got my CC and 1 barracks off the ground. The zerglings were harmless...I quickly tore down the den and killed overlords as the tried to spawn.

The final 5 minutes of the game were us chatting and laughing about the ridiculousness of the whole 30 minute ordeal as 3 lonely wraiths slowly killed 3 hatcheries haha.

Sure we both played sloppy and may have got killed online, but it was a BLAST to play...I wonder if I still have the replay around?

I recall similiar games with the same friend where the game came down to (bloodbath, 1v1) a single battlecruiser with yamato cannon vs about 3 ghosts who kept cloaking, locking down, and then slowly shooting the battlecruiser... I'd return, repair, and try again haha. I think after 1.5 hours we just called a draw...but I'm pretty sure I would ahve won with that damn cruiser sooner or later haha.

Its a great game for what it is and always has so many interesting twists and turns...it just never gets old.

Damn Im pumped for sc2.

PS - sorry how long the story got...I thought I could sum it up sooner but it was just too fun to do any injustice to =D (Which I did anyway haha)

After watching that video, I'm convinced I don't have the micro to be remotely competitive online. I think I'll just stick to DotA 2.0 and NotD 2.0 :D.

LOTS OF TEXT

lol that remnds me of one of the cool game I played, it was a ladder game, I was zerg he was terran.

game lasted maybe 30 minutes, at the end I surprised him by dropping a bunch of hydras in his main (lost temple) and at the same time he attacked me with 6-7 battle cruiser.

the race was on.

I finally won with like 30hp left on my main hive, crazy blood pumping fun lol

*Battle report spoiler, :D *

Glad you guys like it. The Zerg just hasn't had the proper players yet, or perhaps they're somewhat underpowered at the moment, because every single game I've seen with Zerg has had them losing. Not just two out of the three Battle Reports with them in it, but also unofficial games that were recorded at events. Was hoping this one would have them winning, they have a special place in my heart. :(

The Zerg will win when David Kim plays as them.

I haven't really been keeping up to date with the progress of SC2, but that video definitely makes me look forward to its release, again. Watching the "elite" players playing like this makes me feel like I'm going to be horribly rusty when SC2 comes out, and I have the same sort of feelings as some other people in this thread. Back in the day, when I used to play SC and BW, I enjoyed playing games with people I knew. We could make sure the games would be somewhat evenly matched or play games against the comps and you wouldn't need to really worry about backstabbing, at least not until the game was pretty much "over" and we would mess around. I never really enjoyed the games against random other players as much.

Also, is it me, or do the zergling movements sort of look weird? They seem to be so synchronized while running and it just doesn't seem like what I remember of what groups of zerglings in the original looked like when moving.

lol that remnds me of one of the cool game I played, it was a ladder game, I was zerg he was terran.

game lasted maybe 30 minutes, at the end I surprised him by dropping a bunch of hydras in his main (lost temple) and at the same time he attacked me with 6-7 battle cruiser.

the race was on.

I finally won with like 30hp left on my main hive, crazy blood pumping fun lol

haha...i love when its race to the death...those exact situations where both players KNOW theyre screwed, but its just a matter of who can destroy who the fastest lol.

This is where panicked rushing around and building random buildings scattered on a map can be a god send for you and huge annoyance for your enemy lol.

Back