Sharp 700UN as monitor: Quality & Performance Review

I see it very clearly watching Avatar: The Last Airbender DVDs and playing in darker areas of games like Just Cause 2 and Quakelive. If you've got the set in torch mode it probably won't be noticeable, but if you've got it set for theater viewing you'll see it clearly.

I tested the 810 for this as well, it does the same thing... albeit to a much lesser degree. I only had a few minutes with the 810 so it wasn't as in-depth as I would have liked and the settings may not have been identical. Also I read a post on AVS claiming the 810 had nearly double the input lag of the 700 (30ms to 16ms) with both in game mode.

I see it very clearly watching Avatar: The Last Airbender DVDs and playing in darker areas of games like Just Cause 2 and Quakelive. If you've got the set in torch mode it probably won't be noticeable, but if you've got it set for theater viewing you'll see it clearly.

I tested the 810 for this as well, it does the same thing... albeit to a much lesser degree. I only had a few minutes with the 810 so it wasn't as in-depth as I would have liked and the settings may not have been identical. Also I read a post on AVS claiming the 810 had nearly double the input lag of the 700 (30ms to 16ms) with both in game mode.

We may just have the best of what's available right now for our purposes. I wouldn't know what to get otherwise. It seems they all have various issues.

Seriously? How did you manage that?

Well, I played the "monitor, not a TV" card. At first I was denied. Then I basically threatened to cancel my mom's Costco which she's had for 15 years or so, and I pointed out that she hasn't really returned much of anything in all that time.

Well Sharp was at an A+ for customer support. It seems I've hit a bit of a wall with them now however, and for my last support call I'd give a failing grade to them.

What was said can be boiled down as such: The photos you sent that show EXACTLY what the problem is, aren't good enough. Take a photo of a TV station instead where it will be harder to see. Also the set comes calibrated from the factory so Sharp can't support user calibration (i.e. changing the backlight settings and brightness/contrast)

The rep was going on about me voiding the warranty by calibrating the set. I asked her what the heck she was talking about and asked how using the menu to change basic settings could possible void the warranty. She said something about loading a custom firmware not being supported?!?!

I'm not sure how heavily the reps had been drinking today, but it must have been quite a party. They've also said a supervisor would get back to me twice now, and that has not yet happened, and weeks have passed.

Getting a bit frustrated now.

Well Sharp was at an A+ for customer support. It seems I've hit a bit of a wall with them now however, and for my last support call I'd give a failing grade to them.

What was said can be boiled down as such: The photos you sent that show EXACTLY what the problem is, aren't good enough. Take a photo of a TV station instead where it will be harder to see. Also the set comes calibrated from the factory so Sharp can't support user calibration (i.e. changing the backlight settings and brightness/contrast)

The rep was going on about me voiding the warranty by calibrating the set. I asked her what the heck she was talking about and asked how using the menu to change basic settings could possible void the warranty. She said something about loading a custom firmware not being supported?!?!

I'm not sure how heavily the reps had been drinking today, but it must have been quite a party. They've also said a supervisor would get back to me twice now, and that has not yet happened, and weeks have passed.

Getting a bit frustrated now.

Shes either retarded or high , changing basic settings on a TV is not voiding a warranty of any kind lol...

Just try going through the system again and just to peg the supervisor again as well.

I work in customer service as a supervisor, and one thing I'll tell you is if you've had one or two bad experiences with regular reps, ask for the supervisor right away. Don't even bother starting to talk about your issue. Go right to the supervisor, explain what you've been through, and i guarantee you'll get the best support you've ever had. There is always someone higher. If you aren't getting the service you want, keep going higher.

Alright, I talked to Will, the supervisor, and he was courteous and let me speak. He said the engineers are not sure they can do anything to rectify the problem, which I consider a design flaw as it is present in every set I've tested and heard agreement from other owners as well. I said that the set is advertised as a 4ms set, but dark tones run closer to 400ms and that is not acceptable.

I was told they aren't sure a fix is possible and that they could offer me a refund of the set. That would be one way to end it, but I'd prefer this set without the dark tone smearing as I did the research and this set is the one that fits my criteria for a set the best. I told him I would rather work with the CS reps and engineers to try to get a real fix out and that I would only consider a refund near the end of the warranty period.

Sharp has a great set with the 700UN, the only flaw being that dramatic dark tone smearing. The set would be flawless in my book if the response times were consistently nearer 4ms than 400.

Sharp has a great set with the 700UN, the only flaw being that dramatic dark tone smearing. The set would be flawless in my book if the response times were consistently nearer 4ms than 400.

I don't know how the sub-pixel format (closest term i can think of) of this monitor doesn't bother you guys. If you look closely at a horizontal line, doesnt it appear jaggy, as if the pixels are staggered? I am supposed to send mine back this week but damnit i think i'm just too lazy.

Doesn't bother me a bit, if you sit that close a 30" with higher res might be better for you. I have to be within about 2.5 feet to see any jaggies. I got the 52" so I can lean back and relax. Big 1080p screens are so nice to use.

Yeah, I just got a LC-40LE700UN based on all the good things I heard about it, but when I play on dark maps I definitely get some blur/smearing and it kills me :/

I might just use the monitor for everything else and keep one of my monitors for cs. I definitely need a new desk though.

what input are you guys using? I was fine with input 6, had scaling golden, but for some reason it freaks out with Overscan set to 0 on input 7
:(

I'm using the one on the side. Input 5 i think, but I can't remember since I'm not at home.

I use input 6 for my PC, input 7 for my 360.

As for the guy above describing the jagged horizontal lines, I see it now that you pointed it out to me, but it never once bothered me.

I also don't see the smearing in any of my real life viewing.

Viewing angle is a bit of an issue for me, but only a minor one.

All in all, I'm very happy with this set. Also I've since purchased an eyeOne pro, chroma 5, and calman 4 enthusiast and calibrated it perfectly.

Back