Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 57" 7680x2160 super ultrawide (mini-LED)

I'm running Eco mode of all things....I dunno haha I think it looks good. Normal response time, 1004.1 firmware and 551.61 drivers

View attachment 642564

View attachment 642565

Contrast Enhancer on Off? Also, are you using any custom profile or just the default (under Color Management in Windows)?

Can you replicate the black screen issue in full-screen mode in games? Are you going to update firmware to the latest one (1005.3)?

EDIT: Issue went away after turning on Adaptive Sync again. Not sure what happened but all is well. :)

Last edited:
You should update it just to be safe. I'm not sure which update fixed the issue with them just perma never waking up from standby. I updated mine within the first 5 minutes since my friend still had it on 1004

Use a USB extension cable and just hang it over the back permanently for when you need to plug in a thumb drive for any future updates. That way you don't have to sit there doing gymnastics with the back trying to insert a thumb drive.
Oh great now I gotta play twister to get to that port

Contrast Enhancer on Off? Also, are you using any custom profile or just the default (under Color Management in Windows)?

Can you replicate the black screen issue in full-screen mode in games? Are you going to update firmware to the latest one (1005.3)?
Probably....socal got me convinced to update FW.

Game mode and eco mode look like the best presets to me....bit I have not messed with settings to much....got what looked acceptable to my eye and been working on it more than gaming.....I'll up dimming strength and contrast enhancer and see how that looks

Well my monitor is flickering white and green horizontal lines. Looks like I have to use Samsung warranty or the Geeksquad that was transferred to me.

EDIT: Literally the day after I sold my PG32UQX.

Well my monitor is flickering white and green horizontal lines. Looks like I have to use Samsung warranty or the Geeksquad that was transferred to me.

EDIT: Literally the day after I sold my PG32UQX.
Geeezuuusssss!

Last edited:
Ok so an update. At first I thought the monitor was having some DSC artifacts but nope this is some hardware issue.

Contacted Samsung first, their RMA process involved having a "certified" tech come to my place with a replacement panel/hardware and swap the parts here but the time from initiating the repair to part availability to scheduling whatever company they contract would be weeks. Went the Geeksquad route and they told me Bestbuy giftcard or source me one at a different store as a direct replacement instead of having to wait until the end of the month for a shipped unit. Went all the way over to the other Bestbuy which was basically the only one in my region with one in inventory and to picked it up. This ones uniformity is horrible with DSE bands and splotches all over. At this point I think I will ask them for one more replacement and sell it as new.

Someone here sell me your PG32UQX or XG321UG because I'm not about to buy a KTC M32P10 or the Innocn equivalent.

Why not Innocn???

I've got two of the 27s minileds and their gorgeous...I've had the pg27uq and pg32uqx and the innocn has been better unless your prefer 32"

I was going to sell one of them but seeing unreliability of 57 makes me nervous ugghhhhhh

The 27" Innocn uses a much better panel than the 32. I would be all over the 27 but feel like it's for ants and need something bigger.

Ok so an update. At first I thought the monitor was having some DSC artifacts but nope this is some hardware issue.

Contacted Samsung first, their RMA process involved having a "certified" tech come to my place with a replacement panel/hardware and swap the parts here but the time from initiating the repair to part availability to scheduling whatever company they contract would be weeks. Went the Geeksquad route and they told me Bestbuy giftcard or source me one at a different store as a direct replacement instead of having to wait until the end of the month for a shipped unit. Went all the way over to the other Bestbuy which was basically the only one in my region with one in inventory and to picked it up. This ones uniformity is horrible with DSE bands and splotches all over. At this point I think I will ask them for one more replacement and sell it as new.

Someone here sell me your PG32UQX or XG321UG because I'm not about to buy a KTC M32P10 or the Innocn equivalent.
The QC on these monitors seems to be absolutely horrible still. Maybe this one is extra difficult to make considering the size and the curve. And also I would imagine that it is infact two panels joined togheter to make it dual 4K, do we actually know this or if it infact a one LCD panel? Seems reasonable that it would kind of be two Neo G8s glued togheter but don't know.

The QC on these monitors seems to be absolutely horrible still. Maybe this one is extra difficult to make considering the size and the curve. And also I would imagine that it is infact two panels joined togheter to make it dual 4K, do we actually know this or if it infact a one LCD panel? Seems reasonable that it would kind of be two Neo G8s glued togheter but don't know.
I don't think its two panels joined together because its characteristics are much different from the Neo G8 (way more efficient, lower native contrast, etc). I really like the monitor but its too big, bulky, and a PITA to haul around boxes and unpack over and over for me to continue pursuing one.

The thought of going back to 16:9 sucks. After you get used to the much wider FOV, 16:9 looks so cramped and terrible but I'll deal with it. I settled on 6720x2160 or 6000x2160 in most games to minimize the distortion at the sides and gain back some performance.

One of the reasons I ordered mine from Sansung direct was in hopes that they would send me out "the latest" version since its been out six months and many of the early adopters had so many issues.

When mine arrived, they tried to have the white glove service unbox and set it up, but I sent them away. When I unboxed it myself I noted that it did not have the protective plastic film over the screen that you have to peel off AND it had some finger print smudges on the screen....which indicates that I received a refurb.

I suspect, when samsung has these $800 dollar off deals, that they have these deals because they want to get rid of all the repaired / refurbished units from all the initial returns.... so they get rid of that inventory with drastic sale prices and try to pass it off to the consumer as "new"

With that said, I have had this display for a few days now and I cannot live without it lol....if this thing died and I had to wait weeks for a repair.....id buy a second one lol. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my alienware curved 4k240 OLED, but it cannot do what this bad boy does.

Last edited:
I asked around about the screen peel too because my friend said his didn't have it either. Looks like they got rid of the peel sometime late last year in production.

No other Samsung LCD's come with peels either. Neo G9 and G8 didn't as well so this having it at launch was an anomaly.

I would buy another but I'm so over the giant box and the clown show involved getting onto a monitor arm. Besides that I know my luck with Samsung and QC so I will never in my life see one as free of DSE and dead/stuck pixels as the one I had that artifacted.

I complained about the lack of peel to samsung CSR + finger smudges and got a further credit, that brought my purchase price down to $1325 on this unit after factoring in the other discounts involved.

The size of this display is unfucking real massive, thankfully my desk is two tier and i dont have to bother with monitor arms since my keyboard and mouse are below.

In 2025 there supposedly is an 8k240hz 57" on the horizon and there are a couple 21:9 5k oleds too....so the future looks bright.

Samsung and Dell CSRs are absolute hell.....so is Asus....infact nearly all tech companies are.
Its a shame the QC lottery on this panel, because its such a fantastic display.

For work productivity, this is the first display I ever had that did not feel clastrophobic for my work....the ability to change and modify windows to suit my needs on the fly as I complete my reports is unbelievable! I am so use to having to negotiate bezels and waste tons of screen space because 16:9 is inadequate and two 16:9s is awkward.....this thing just completely obliterated every other display for me work prod wise....and gaming is an absolute blast....even at 120hz

I would tell you to just send it back to samsung and have them replace it.....if you need a display to get you by I have a spare 27" innocn miniled fald 4k160 that you can run at 150% scale lol

If only Samsung had only allowed us to disable scaling on their flat 8K TVs and offered a HDMI 2.1 port on the QN900C (as the one connect box is broken), it would have been a serious contender to the 57". It currently retails for about the same price as the 57" as well.

I complained about the lack of peel to samsung CSR + finger smudges and got a further credit, that brought my purchase price down to $1325 on this unit after factoring in the other discounts involved.

The size of this display is unfucking real massive, thankfully my desk is two tier and i dont have to bother with monitor arms since my keyboard and mouse are below.

In 2025 there supposedly is an 8k240hz 57" on the horizon and there are a couple 21:9 5k oleds too....so the future looks bright.

Samsung and Dell CSRs are absolute hell.....so is Asus....infact nearly all tech companies are.
Its a shame the QC lottery on this panel, because its such a fantastic display.

For work productivity, this is the first display I ever had that did not feel clastrophobic for my work....the ability to change and modify windows to suit my needs on the fly as I complete my reports is unbelievable! I am so use to having to negotiate bezels and waste tons of screen space because 16:9 is inadequate and two 16:9s is awkward.....this thing just completely obliterated every other display for me work prod wise....and gaming is an absolute blast....even at 120hz

I would tell you to just send it back to samsung and have them replace it.....if you need a display to get you by I have a spare 27" innocn miniled fald 4k160 that you can run at 150% scale lol
lol you are convincing me to give it another shot now because I share the same sentiment about it as you. Going to let the thought marinate over lunch.

I'd be tempted at the 57 if the 5090 was out for 240 hz, the colors weren't meh and the reliability wasn't trash.

I've seen some failures on the G9 series people have posted where it started having different brightness levels on the left vs right side of the display, as if split into two 16:9 panels. I don't think it's two Neo G8 (or the previous panel iterations) glued together but actually built as a single panel. It might have some shenanigans how it's handled by the rest of the hardware.

The extreme curvature probably makes it hard to produce and seems to be a big factor for failures too. I'd love to see them make an OLED version of this with the same curve, never understood why they went with the mild 1800R on the OLED G9. I've seen the two side by side and the 1000R just is more practical even accounting for OLED's far better viewing angles.

It's a disappointing thing because the CRG9 (1500R curve) I had was a really solid display despite having quirks, limitations and inconveniences. I thought the G9 and up would be "that, but better" but the QC issues, panel issues etc have been real throughout all the models.

For the OSD Samsung is really "one step forward, two steps back". Like why can't I still just assign a custom function for "toggle PbP on/off"? Instead I think you can only assign the ability to go to that menu? Also the CRG9 had 3 presets for different picture modes. The newer monitors like my G70A allow you to program those far more extensively, including e.g refresh rate limits, VRR on/off and more. But they just ditched those from the Neo G8 and G9 series for no good reason. They would be perfect for e.g input switching or gaming vs productivity picture settings.

Most Mini LEDs get noticable worse input lag with HDR / FALD, but I recall having read that for the Neo G9 57" this isn't actually the case and input lag is the same with HDR / FALD as with SDR without FALD? Is this true, and if so, how come this monitor is different from others?

1000020502.jpg

I saw that several times on the two 57" I have had home so far, it usually goes away after a reboot and not to be seen again in at least a few weeks. But you can't help but to wonder what is causing it...
Yeah this is some DSC bug. You can see the slices/partitions that DSC splits the screen up for compression.

My 49" OLED G9 has been perfect. I think I am just extremely fortunate, as I've heard horror stories about my monitor as well, such as the monitor randomly cracking in half. I also have a 75" Samsung Neo QLED TV that hasn't had any issues except for some weird software glitch that techs came out and fixed by wiping and installing the firmware. There are tons of reports of these QC issues with Samsung.

You bet! Currently waiting on a replacement to ship. Realized nothing beats the combination of form factor, resolution, refresh rate (with a 5090) and HDR performance right now.

It's a jack of all trades.
giphy.gif

You bet! Currently waiting on a replacement to ship. Realized nothing beats the combination of form factor, resolution, refresh rate (with a 5090) and HDR performance right now.

It's a jack of all trades.

Problem is, even with a 5090 the only thing you can play at this resolution at 240 FPS/Hz is pong.

I'm expecting the 5090 to finally do my AW32 240 Hz 4K OLED justice, and that's half the demand of this display!

Problem is, even with a 5090 the only thing you can play at this resolution at 240 FPS/Hz is pong.

I'm expecting the 5090 to finally do my AW32 240 Hz 4K OLED justice, and that's half the demand of this display!
pong and WRASSLIN!

1711339700463.png

1711339729648.png

1711344090501.png

1711344110932.png

1711344168150.png

Last edited:
My 49" OLED G9 has been perfect. I think I am just extremely fortunate, as I've heard horror stories about my monitor as well, such as the monitor randomly cracking in half. I also have a 75" Samsung Neo QLED TV that hasn't had any issues except for some weird software glitch that techs came out and fixed by wiping and installing the firmware. There are tons of reports of these QC issues with Samsung.
Having tried out both, the OLED G9 just feels like a much more refined modern product (at least to me). Like comparing maybe a Tesla Model S to a muscle car :)

Having tried out both, the OLED G9 just feels like a much more refined modern product (at least to me). Like comparing maybe a Tesla Model S to a muscle car :)
I'm pretty impressed with the build quality overall. I've never owned a monitor before where I'm amazed every single time I use it. It's truly amazing.

I'm pretty impressed with the build quality overall. I've never owned a monitor before where I'm amazed every single time I use it. It's truly amazing.
I was mostly refering to the "look and feel" of the actual hardware rather than the PQ itself even though I would still rate OLED higher for game and entertainment but not for productivity and screen area. Now, this doesn't mean that the 57" isn't good for game and entertainment as well, it is, but perhaps just not in a side by side with a last gen OLED.

I was mostly refering to the "look and feel" of the actual hardware rather than the PQ itself even though I would still rate OLED higher for game and entertainment but not for productivity and screen area. Now, this doesn't mean that the 57" isn't good for game and entertainment as well, it is, but perhaps just not in a side by side with a last gen OLED.
I use this every day for productivity including video editing, graphics design, and photography. It's been very good at just about everything for me. Obviously, there are better monitors for very specific tasks, but this feels like a jack-of-all-trades monitor for me and the pros outweigh any of the cons. I don't feel claustrophobic with my workflow anymore so I don't have anxiety working at my desk for long hours. The screen area is phenomenal, so I'm not sure what you by that, unless you are just referring to the height of the monitor. This is basically two 27" monitors side-by-side, but I've always hated dual monitor set ups with the big divide in the middle. It's nice having the entire width of my field of view being all display. Also, I much prefer the less intense curve of this monitor compared to the other curved monitors.

To me the big issue with it is the Samsung Tizen OS is a huge pile of crap. It's such an amateur hour UI design with all settings buried deep under various menus and it tends to be slow. Plus the OLED G9 apparently doesn't even have the 21:9 + 11:9 PbP split option.

I fear when they make an OLED G95NC it will be the same nonsense.

To me the big issue with it is the Samsung Tizen OS is a huge pile of crap. It's such an amateur hour UI design with all settings buried deep under various menus and it tends to be slow. Plus the OLED G9 apparently doesn't even have the 21:9 + 11:9 PbP split option.

I fear when they make an OLED G95NC it will be the same nonsense.
Then you should probably get the cheaper OLED G9 without Tizen OS (G93) if interested in the OLED G9. And again, I am mostly referring to product design here, as I think the 57" version is bulky, thick, heavy etc compared to the OLED G9 and also looks a bit dated to me. But this is just my personal preference, YMMV of course.

Then you should probably get the cheaper OLED G9 without Tizen OS (G93) if interested in the OLED G9. And again, I am mostly referring to product design here, as I think the 57" version is bulky, thick, heavy etc compared to the OLED G9 and also looks a bit dated to me. But this is just my personal preference, YMMV of course.
I didn't know they made one without it! That's nice.

While I agree that the OLED G9 is a far more practical device as a product, it also has some pure insanity involved like a micro-HDMI connector. Just make it a bit thicker in the back so it fits two standard HDMI ports, nobody uses micro-HDMI otherwise!

The G9 Oled is sexy except for 1440peeee.....thats an automatic no go in my book.

Its 2024, 1080pee and 1440 pee should die!!!

Also, I love my oleds but they don't hit the Nits like FALD and currently pixel structure not sharp enough to run 100% on desktop like 57" does.

The screen is pretty versatile. Some games I play at 5120x2160, others I play at 6000x2160 or 6720x2160. Just depends on the game performance and the extent to which a game stretches FOV at the edges. Forbidden west maxed with DLSS quality at native res sits at like 80FPS so if a 5090 offers the same jump from 3090 to 4090, that's 120-130FPS and 140+ if settings are optimized. The problem with 240FPS even at native 4K is even if the GPU performance is there, most triple A titles are held back by some CPU/game engine bottleneck anyway so you'll never really break like 150-160FPS which is what I realized owning a Neo G8.

The reason I bring up those custom resolutions is because nothing else on the market offers FALD, HDR and 240hz with the pixel response of this monitor. The closest thing is that recent Dell 40" which is basically globally lit. Next year we'll get some 39 OLED offerings but I'm over how dim OLED currently is given how transformative RTX HDR is to my gaming experience.

The way I see this monitor is its a PG32UQX in 21:9 form (5120x2160) that offers 75% of the HDR performance, has way better pixel response, significantly less perceived bloom to the point where I consider it a complete non issue and gives me a huge productivity gain in a single monitor solution. The only 2 knocks I can really give it are viewing angles and its like 10% or so less saturated in colors of highlights but some of that can be mitigated by just bumping up the color value from default 25 up to 30-35.

Its not for everyone but for someone like me who rather have a monitor that does everything decent vs current OLED monitors that are one trick ponies, it works out great.

Last edited:
The screen is pretty versatile. Some games I play at 5120x2160, others I play at 6000x2160 or 6720x2160. Just depends on the game performance and the extent to which a game stretches FOV at the edges. Forbidden west maxed with DLSS quality at native res sits at like 80FPS so if a 5090 offers the same jump from 3090 to 4090, that's 120-130FPS and 140+ if settings are optimized. The problem with 240FPS even at native 4K is even if the GPU performance is there, most triple A titles are held back by some CPU/game engine bottleneck anyway so you'll never really break like 150-160FPS which is what I realized owning a Neo G8.

The reason I bring up those custom resolutions is because nothing else on the market offers FALD, HDR and 240hz with the pixel response of this monitor. The closest thing is that recent Dell 40" which is basically globally lit. Next year we'll get some 39 OLED offerings but I'm over how dim OLED currently is given how transformative RTX HDR is to my gaming experience.

The way I see this monitor is its a PG32UQX in 21:9 form (5120x2160) that offers 75% of the HDR performance, has way better pixel response, significantly less perceived bloom to the point where I consider it a complete non issue and gives me a huge productivity gain in a single monitor solution. The only 2 knocks I can really give it are viewing angles and its like 10% or so less saturated in colors of highlights but some of that can be mitigated by just bumping up the color value from default 25 up to 30-35.

Its not for everyone but for someone like me who rather have a monitor that does everything decent vs current OLED monitors that are one trick ponies, it works out great.
Your reasons are similar to why I'm still interested in the monitor, but I'll probably wait until Black Friday sales to see if the price drops low enough to be worth the hassle. Until then I'll stick to my dual 4K 144 Hz 28" monitors + LG CX 4K 120 Hz 48" OLED TV for gaming instead.

I really hoped Nvidia/Samsung would do something about that 240 Hz issue, because it's just ridiculous that it drops all the way to 60 Hz in that scenario. It is clearly broken somehow instead of running at 120 Hz while supporting 240 Hz for lower resolutions. Every owner of this monitor should at least file a ticket to Nvidia so they'll investigate eventually.

The QC and software issues that plague Samsung monitors are also really annoying, somehow the company just can't seem to get these right from the start. When these are such big and heavy beasts it's also a problem to exchange them or send them for repairs. I don't think in my country there would be Samsung employees coming to swap parts.

Back