SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe Gen 4 $66.49

Yep, NAND and RAM prices are all crashing like most PC components. The only thing holding up is GPU prices, and that's because neither AMD nor Nvidia are particularly concerned about gaming GPU revenue at this time, so its a low priority for them and allows them to keep supply low and prices elevated.

Yep, NAND and RAM prices are all crashing like most PC components. The only thing holding up is GPU prices, and that's because neither AMD nor Nvidia are particularly concerned about gaming GPU revenue at this time, so its a low priority for them and allows them to keep supply low and prices elevated.
Yeah following that trend our local Microcenter should be well stocked with $799 4090s!

It is $59 for the 1tb and $130 for the 2tb today only.
it's been that way for days now, everyone from Best Buy to Samsung's own store. Maybe today is the last day of the price?

Wonder if they're trying to rid stock for the 990 series, or if everyone else dropping their price below $40/TB makes them want to make a move.

I've looked so many times. Instinct tells me to buy a few to have on hand but I have no reason to. Already have a stack of SSDs for repairs and future builds. If I had any reason other than hoarding, I'd buy a handful.

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
Not sure that the 990 pro really is a necessity, it's a tad faster than the 980 pro at a 50% cost increase (translates to $30 more here), same endurance (600 TBW). I mean the argument of being a baller with the fastest thing out there kind of falls flat too considering pcie5 exists.

Its dropped down to $59.99

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wish SATA SSDs would come down even cheaper in price, I mean I know from a hardware stand point they're identical to NVME drives just with an enclosure and different connector, but I feel like the speed limit of SATA3 ports makes it feel bad to spend the same price as a drive that is 5-10x as fast.

Its dropped down to $59.99

Use code PICKUP10OFF and choose shipping to an Amazon pickup locker if you got one around the corner to take an additional $10 - works, just did it myself

1686780410570.png

Its very important that if you pick up a 980 Pro or 990 Pro (as well as 870 series among others) you update your firmware ASAP. There's a bug that does TONS of wear damage that cannot be healed, but it can be prevented by moving to the newest firmware. As soon as you get it, make sure you update any Samsung to the latest FW possible! Otherwise, good prices on great drives.

Its very important that if you pick up a 980 Pro or 990 Pro (as well as 870 series among others) you update your firmware ASAP. There's a bug that does TONS of wear damage that cannot be healed, but it can be prevented by moving to the newest firmware. As soon as you get it, make sure you update any Samsung to the latest FW possible! Otherwise, good prices on great drives.

The 870 fiasco is the reason I know longer buy Samsung for home or at work and no longer recommend them to anyone who asks for my opinion on drives. Had a couple 512GB 870 drives that were hit with this issue and drives are shot...Samsung denied warranty on 1 and I can't even get past the S/N on the other 2. And when I wrote a review on their site for these drives, they declined to post it "because it did not our review guidelines." I still don't think they acknowledged publicly the issues with the 870 series.

Just noticed the version without the heatsink is $10 less. Is it really necessary in a well-ventilated case? If not, I'd rather save the bucks.

Just noticed the version without the heatsink is $10 less. Is it really necessary in a well-ventilated case? If not, I'd rather save the bucks.

I've been using a 250GB 980 Pro for 2 years now as OS drive w/ no HS and a WD Black SN750 w/ no HS and I plan on using this one w/ no HS

But I do have a large case with 2x 140mm fans and 2x 200mm fans

If only the smaller 30mm drives were near these prices. I have a couple laptops that could use a storage upgrade, but they're like 2-3 times the price for the same storage size.

My drive shipped with the latest firmware already installed 👌

In the case of nVidia at least (can't say about AMD) it is because the AI craze is leading to a massive appetite for these things. If you wanna run a really large LLM, you pretty much have to use GPUs to get it done in a reasonable time/power budget. They just crank through all the calculations much faster. Since AI is all the rage now there is big demand for these by enterprises.

Wow! Almost can’t afford NOT to get one. Don’t even have a build to put it in, but who knows? Makes a nice external SSD probably

Wow! Almost can’t afford NOT to get one. Don’t even have a build to put it in, but who knows? Makes a nice external SSD probably
Did buy a simple little $12 m.2 nvme to pci express x4.0 for one of those extra drive laying around, work perfectly fine if you have the motherboard space and want an excuse for it.

Did buy a simple little $12 m.2 nvme to pci express x4.0 for one of those extra drive laying around, work perfectly fine if you have the motherboard space and want an excuse for it.
Currently still in an ITX build right now, so the one slot is occupied, but next build might be matx so that may come in handy.

I wish SATA SSDs would come down even cheaper in price, I mean I know from a hardware stand point they're identical to NVME drives just with an enclosure and different connector, but I feel like the speed limit of SATA3 ports makes it feel bad to spend the same price as a drive that is 5-10x as fast.
meh i buy them as well.. spend 30 seconds installing and throwing it on the bottom of my case or spend 20 minutes pulling my gpu then fiddling with heatsinks and tiny arse screws just to install an nvme drive.. my times worth the cost, lol.

Reactions: Zinn
like this
meh i buy them as well.. spend 30 seconds installing and throwing it on the bottom of my case or spend 20 minutes pulling my gpu then fiddling with heatsinks and tiny arse screws just to install an nvme drive.. my times worth the cost, lol.
Or have a board that has the NVME slot above the GPU :)

20 minutes? You got hard line water cooled GPUs?

20 minutes? You got hard line water cooled GPUs?

shit 10 minutes of that is just trying to get my damn gpu out because you can't reach the stupid clip. then another 10 minutes of me dropping and having to search for that tiny ass screw, lol. but i wouldn't want to deal with some of these boards with the overly complicated nvme covers/heatsinks because aesthetics > function..

shit 10 minutes of that is just trying to get my damn gpu out because you can't reach the stupid clip. then another 10 minutes of me dropping and having to search for that tiny ass screw, lol. but i wouldn't want to deal with some of these boards with the overly complicated nvme covers/heatsinks because aesthetics > function..
I hear you, my board has pcie 5.0 with the fancy heat sink and even came with thermal pads, but I'm not spending gen5 ssd money so I use the other slots, also has an easy clip so dont need to fiddle with screws except when I first put it together

The 870 fiasco is the reason I know longer buy Samsung for home or at work and no longer recommend them to anyone who asks for my opinion on drives. Had a couple 512GB 870 drives that were hit with this issue and drives are shot...Samsung denied warranty on 1 and I can't even get past the S/N on the other 2. And when I wrote a review on their site for these drives, they declined to post it "because it did not our review guidelines." I still don't think they acknowledged publicly the issues with the 870 series.

Sounds similar to the 840/840evo problems. Samsung ignored the plain 840 drives of having any problems that the Evo model had.

Wow, wish they'd have a similar drop for the 2TB. At 59.99 and Prime it seems easily a great value with high end performance and now much better value. I don't know if there's some special promo on one of those other companies that have recently risen in quality/value/prominence for SSDs, but 980 Pro 1TB at $60 seems pretty solid provided you makes sure to update its firmware ASAP!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BHJF2VRN

$70 if you drop the heatsink.

-bZj
Damn. 980 Pro and 990 Pro are fairly close, but for $10 more I'd take the later iteration no problem. Looks like the 990 Pro's 2TB is $135. Still remember to update the firmware even on the 990 Pro models! I'll have to check prices and specs again, to compare the 980 Pro / 990 Pro models against some other companies that people were discussing as similar or better on performance and value, like WDBlack and the SKHynix breakaway who's name I forget. One way or another these prices come at a good time as I've been needing another SSD for a new system.

I wonder if these price drops are because of Samsung getting ready to push an actual PCI-E 5.0 M.2 SSD?

Last edited:
Back